12 Minnesota breweries will form six teams to brew six unique collaboration beers for In Cahoots! at the Red Stag’s annual summer bash
Collaboration and competition don’t usually go hand-in-hand, but when 12 of Minnesota’s best craft breweries combine the two, delicious things have been known to happen.
Back for a third year is In Cahoots! A Collaboration of Craft Brewing at the 10th Annual Red Stag Block Party, August 14 from 2–8pm. The event brings together craft beer, live music, great food, local merchants, and more, all outside on a summer afternoon at The Red Stag in Northeast Minneapolis.
This year’s In Cahoots! brewery teams were hand-picked by The Growler and The Red Stag. As pictures and information about their collaborations are shared on social media, we’ll update this post with that info—think of it as a realtime journal of the collabs leading up to the event (click the links below for more info on each beer). We hope you’ll follow along and try the beers for yourself on August 14.
- August Schell Brewing Company & Bauhaus Brew Labs – Hot Tropic New Zealand-Style Lager – A crushable, tropical treat that’s chock-full of awesomely tropical hops and fermented with Schell’s legendary lager yeast.
- Summit Brewing Company & Bang Brewing – MIKE – An all-organic summery ale. Malts, hops, and hugs.
- Surly Brewing Company & Bent Paddle Brewing Co. – Mother of the Gut Ale – A Belgian pale ale, dry-hopped with El Dorado and Lemon Drop hops and infused with chamomile.
- Fulton Beer & Modist Brewing Company – Parallel Paradise – A cocktail-inspired beer with botanicals (hibiscus, juniper, cinchona bark) and dry-hopped with lemon and orange zest.
- Dangerous Man Brewing Co & Indeed Brewing Company – Imperial White IPA with Tea – A non-traditional take on a new-ish style beer, with a traditional Belgian wit malt base, German and American aromatic hops, and orange ginger tea and coriander providing the characteristic wit spice.
- Fair State Brewing Cooperative & Sociable Cider Werks – Apple Berliner Weiss – A 50/50 mix of Sociable Cider’s apple blend and Fair State’s kettle-sour wheat beer using Fair State’s house lactobacillus strain, fermented with white wine yeast, and dry-hopped with El Dorado hops.
The best part is that this isn’t just another try-the-beers-and-be-on-your-way beer festival. The responsibility for crowning the winning team falls on the attendees. The people at FairVote Minnesota will be running the balloting and educating attendees about ranked-choice voting.
In addition to the six new beers being premiered, block-party guests will also be treated to entertainment from MC Foxy Tann, Night Moves, Mark Mallman, Sims, Black Market Brass, Farewell Milwaukee, BradyScott, and Epitome No Question.
The Food and The Fun
The Red Stag will be serving a wide selection of the delicious, locally-sourced food they’re known for, including Peterson Farms Limousin Burgers, black bean burgers, The Herbivorous Butcher Huli Huli Hawaiian Ribs, fish tacos, Peterson Farms limousin brats, Ellsworth Creamery cheese curds, grilled sweet corn, french fries, and watermelon.
In addition, local vendors like The Beer Dabbler Store will be there selling their wares.
Eureka Recycling, a local nonprofit waste-reduction organization, will also be on hand to make the block party a zero-waste event again this year. Want to help reach the zero-waste goal and get some free food and beer while you’re at it. Volunteers are needed and you can click here to learn more and sign up.
Craft beer is an industry notorious for collaboration. Stories of brewers sharing advice with newcomers, brewing beer together, and lending ingredients to each other like neighbors giving out cups of sugar, abound in the brewing community. And, in the case of In Cahoots!, even competitions are collaborative.
The event has proven to be the perfect battleground for local breweries to test their mettle against each other, while still working together. The Growler got in touch with each of the teams to find out their approach to competing in a festival of collaboration.