Update: Due to overwhelming demand, two additional seatings have been added on Friday, Jan. 20 at 6:00pm and 8:30pm. Buy tickets here.
In our January issue, we’ve been learning about Lao food with Ann Ahmed of Lemon Grass Thai Cuisine and Christina Tia of House of X Tia, and we thought our readers might enjoy a chance to do the same.
So The Growler presents Pha Khao: a Lao Pop-Up, taking place Thursday, January 19, (sold out) and Friday, January 20 at MidCity Kitchen, 693 Raymond Ave, St Paul. There will be two seatings for dinner, at 6pm and 8:30pm. Tickets are $65 (alcohol included) plus a small service charge.
Here’s the deal: You’ll sit down (yes, on the floor!) for a three-course Lao feast, including a welcome cocktail and drink pairings with each course. You’ll chat with Ann and Christina, test your mettle with some spicy jeow, and swig some Lao rice lager with other local food lovers. It’s meant to be an intimate, family style meal, and it’s not a huge room, so get your tickets now!
Hungry yet? Check out the menu.
First Pha Khao “Snacks from the Streets of Laos”
- Sakoo, tapioca balls filled with ground pork and preserved cabbage
- Khao Nom Kok—coconut rice cakes filled with ground pork and mushrooms
- Mieng Muang Luang— lettuce bites filled with creamy rice, sautéed tomato, lemon grass, peanuts and ginger
Second Pha Khao “Grandma’s Favorite”
- Thom Kem — pork belly braised in five spice with quail eggs
- Trio of Jeow, served with Lao pork sausages (pictured, above)
- Jeow Haat (roasted mushroom)
- Jeow Mak Len (roasted tomatoes)
- Jeow Bong Xieng Khoung (roasted chilies and herbs)
Third Pha Khao “Welcome to our Home”
- Mok Pa — steamed fish in banana leaves
- Ping Nok — grilled quail
- Kaeng Jeut — winter melon with pork bones
- Laab Ped — minced duck meat salad season with roasted rice powder, lime juice and fresh herbs
- Tam Mak Hoong — shredded green papaya salad season with pickled blue crab
- Khao La Song