With well over 100 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up-to-date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
The Fourth of July fireworks are over, but the anniversary celebrations and beer drinking continue. This week sees milestones at Bauhaus, F-Town, Sisyphus, and Town Hall Lanes. Other parties are taking place in taprooms, such as Boom Island’s Boom Days, Mixed Culture at the new Fair State facility, and a beer release party across the border at Oliphant (with free tamales).
In new beers, Barrel Theory has a pair of hazy IPAs hitting the market, both Lupulin and OMNI are showing off Minnesota ingredients, and Foxhole has announced an upcoming red double IPA.
New beers available this week (July 10–July 16)
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Traitor IPA with hot peppers – The weekly infusion keg at the Shakopee taproom, released on Thursday.
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- Drop Tops – A West Coast–style IPA from St. Paul’s newest brewery.
- Purple Lamborghini – A Berliner weiss–style kettle sour with black raspberry, marionberry, and boysenberry puree. 4.0% ABV.
- Tear Drops – A Northeast-style IPA brewed with Mosaic and Citra hops. 6.5% ABV.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- Sky-Five! with grapefruit zest and cardamom – A special cask beer for Bauhaus’ third anniversary party this Saturday.
- Sky! Five! with loads of Citra hops – A special cask beer for Bauhaus’ third anniversary party this Saturday.
Big Wood Brewery
- Amigo Grande G3 – An American adjunct lager now in the taproom. 8.1 % ABV, 40 IBU.
- Kentucky Common – Big Wood’s take on a the historical style made popular in Louisville, Kentucky in the late 19th century. Now in the taproom. 5.2% ABV, 19 IBU.
Birch’s on the Lake
- Toasted Coconut Porter – An American porter with coconut. 5.6% ABV.
- Wheat IPA – An IPA brewed with malted wheat and Citra hops. 6.2% ABV.
- Orange Joos – A new cream ale. “Similar to a refreshing shandy,” says the brewery. 4.5% ABV. (Pictured right)
F-Town Brewing Company
- Faribault’s hometown brewery celebrates their second anniversary on July 15 from 4–10pm. No specific beers are named yet, but there will be “small limited batches” available at the party.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
The brewery has several new releases debuting at Mixed Culture 2017 on July 15.
- Barrel Fermented Du Pounde
- Passionfruit Barrel Fermented Du Pounde
- Blueberry Barrel Fermented Du Pounde
- Curation – A plum sour
- Funkelweizen – A funky wheat beer
- Time Debt Dark Sour – A dark sour fermented in bourbon and rye whiskey barrels
- Pineapple Cromulence – Berliner weiss
- Barrel Aged Stupid Sexy Flanders – Flanders Red, aged on oak.
Grand Rounds Brewing Company
- Steam Powered: Golden Coffee – Made in collaboration with Cafe Steam in Rochester, this golden ale was fermented on whole coffee beans. (Pictured right)
- Holla Honey Wheat Beer – Now available in the taproom
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Experimental Apricot Sour – Now available in the taproom
- Verticality #3 California Common – Released yesterday, this is the third beer in Lupulin’s Verticality Series. Brewed using malt from Vertical Malt in Fisher and Crystal hops from Mighty Axe Hops in Ham Lake and Foley. 5.0% ABV, 35 IBU.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Deviation 008: Sour Golden Ale – A new beer made with Brett yeast and lactobacillus. Out today.
- Peanut Butter Rodent – A black ale with cacao nibs and peanut butter. 8.0% ABV. (Pictured right)
- Hunkboy – A new robust porter.
- Milkman Manbaby – “A milkyweizen dunkelstout,” says Oliphant.
- Strawberry CHUD – A strawberry rice lager
- Russian Imperial Stout – This special offering is available at the brewery’s Saturday party.
- Tequila Barrel Aged Gose – This special offering is available at the brewery’s Saturday party.
- sotaSMASH – Made with barley from Shingebiss Malt and all hops from RF Doering Farms, the Minnesota-centric beer is hazy, light, and hoppy. On tap at noon today with a portion of proceeds benefit cancer research. 6.6% ABV.
Schram Vineyards Winery & Brewery
- Slipstream Sour – Tapped on July 13.
- Turbulent Sour Imperial Stout – A barrel-aged beer tapped on July 13.
Sisyphus celebrates three years in business with a week of new beer releases.
- OPA2 with grapefruit
- Barrel Aged Weeliam Wallace
- Brandy Barrel Aged Ass/Toy
- Cake Beer – To be released on Saturday. Brewed with an actual cake.
Surly Brewing Co.
- Inherent Weiss – The third of three in this hefeweizen series, an imperial hefe, dry-hopped with Cascade, Chinook, and Centennial hops. 9.0% ABV.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Electric Love – A Cactus Hibiscus Wit, coming to the taproom on July 14 at 3pm
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Raspberry Hibiscus Sour – A house sour from Wild Mind, made with 462 pounds of raspberries. Out today.
Seasonal or rotating returns
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Cuvée Rosé de Boom – Boom Days 2017 brings back this popular Belgian blonde ale, with this year’s version made with a blend of pinot grigio and cabernet sauvignon grapes. 11.0% ABV and available in 750-milliliter bottles on Saturday. (Bottles pictured right)
Excelsior Brewing Company
- Helios Hefeweizen – A hazy hefeweizen with notes of banana, clove, and orange. ABV 5.6%, 18 IBU.
- Shandalized Honey Lemon Radler – Minnegose infused with honey lemonade. On tap now. 3.3% ABV, 10 IBU.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Dakota Skipper – Saison brewed with native prairie grasses made in partnership with the Minnesota Zoo to raise awareness about the plummeting populations of local butterflies. Part of all proceeds goes to benefit the Zoo’s conservation efforts. Tapped on July 13 at New Beer Thursday, and available at a limited number of restaurants and bars in the metro starting on July 20. 5.7% ABV, 30 IBU.
- Lichtenhainer – Smoked sour. Barrel-fermented with beechwood and oak, it uses the same Bavarian wheat beer yeast as hefeweizen and a collection of “wild” yeast and acid-producing bacteria. Hypnotically smoky, funky, and fresh. 5.1% ABV, 10 IBU.
- Cardinal Red – A double red IPA. 8.5% ABV, 83 IBU.
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Line Drive IPA – On tap since last Friday, brewing using a hopping technique called “Hop Stand.”
Town Hall Lanes
- Mango Mama – This mango version of Masala Mama kicks off the Lanes’ fourth anniversary week. Available at 5pm on July 16.
Beers just announced
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Badger Hill will be involved in a currently unnamed beer as part of the River South marketing campaign of Canterbury Park, Mystic Lake, Renaissance Festival, and Valleyfair.
- The Great Sweat – A West Coast–style IPA, coming soon.
Bent Paddle Brewing
- Citrus Party Kanū – Kanū infused with 250 pounds of oranges.
- Jam Band – The newest in the Smokestack Series features “humongous fruit character contributed by blueberry, red raspberry, and tart cherry juices blended into the beer at the end of fermentation. […] Minimally hopped with Topaz to provide balance, Jam Band truly is all about showcasing bright, tart fruit.” 7.0% ABV, 6 IBU.
- English Style Barley Wine – Made specially for Spirit of The Lakes Festival on July 21, this barleywine was aged in “Harbor Select Barrel #232,” a barrel of J. Carver Bourbon that was sold entirely at Harbor Wine & Spirits. Inbound will pour a sneak peak this Friday at Harbor.
- Surfside Ale – The return of the official bee of the Spirit of The Lakes Festival. Debuts on Friday, July 21, but there’s a sneak peak tasting tonight at Harbor Wine & Spirits.
- Hopbiscus – Hibiscus India Pale Ale, coming soon. 6.1% ABV, 40 IBU.
- Grateful Graf – Malted cider, coming to Maple Grove this summer.
Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.