With well over 100 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up-to-date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
It’s been a big week in local beer. Thousands of homebrewers have traveled to Minneapolis for Homebrew Con from June 15 through June 17. Three new breweries are opening Friday and Saturday (Pryes, Imminent, and Unmapped) with 16 brand new beers hitting tap lines between them. And Lakeville Brewing celebrated its first year in business.
There are also new beers out at Bemidji, Lupulin, Bad Weather, Inbound, Clockwerks, and Summit, with limited bottle releases taking place at Forager and Insight.
Better take an early happy hour today—with all the new beer pouring this weekend, you’re going to need a head start.
New beers available this week (June 12–June 18)
12welve Eyes Brewing
- Cream Ale – Now on tap at the Kellogg Craft Beer Overlook from this soon-to-open brewery.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Oyster Stout MN – A collaborative stout brewed with oysters from The Fish Guys debuts tonight. Also on tap at Inbound.
Badger Hill Brewing
- White IPA infused with Amarillo hops – Badger Hill’s taproom infusion keg of the week.
- Raspberry Sour Red – “This aged Sour Red Ale spent eight months in red wine barrels and an additional four months aging on whole locally grown raspberries,” says the brewery. Taproom only.
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Bolleke Plus Belgian Double Pale Ale – Another been in the Breaking Boundary Series, this beer is a collaboration with Mouterij Dingemans, Hopsteiner and Cargill Specialty Malt for the 2017 Craft Brewers Conference. “The result is an amped up Belgian Pale with citrusy and fruity nose and hints of French oak,” Boom Island says. 7.2% ABV, 23 IBU.
- Sorghum Molasses Belgian Tripel – This is a collaboration beer with Basic Brewing Radio Podcast in celebration of Homebrew Con this week. “Fruity, spicy with banana on the nose,” says Boom Island. 8.7% ABV.
- Hop Blast Wonder – Clockwerks’ second guest homebrew tap, a triple dry-hopped double IPA. Debuting on June 17 with day-long $5 pints to celebrate.
Forager Brewing Company
- Magnus – At 11am on Saturday, Forager will release 125 bottles of their 100-percent Honey Barrel aged Double Stout w/ Cocoa Nibs, Vanilla beans and coffee. 13.5% ABV.
- Raspberry Dreamsickle – A raspberry milkshake wheat beer. 5.4% ABV, 17 IBU.
- Col-LAB-oration – This kettle sour is a collaboration with Ballast Point Brewing that uses Citra, Summer, and Nelson Sauvin hops. On tap at Red Cow, Stub and Herbs, and Smack Shack now.
HammerHeart Brewing Company
- 2016 Imperial Longship – The taproom broke this vintage release out of the cellar last weekend after aging it in bourbon barrels for one year. Limited supply.
Northfield’s newest brewery opens to the public on Friday, June 16 at 3pm. The beers on tap for the grand opening are:
- Monticello Mild – English-style mild ale
- Question Mark Hill Wheat – American wheat
- Guard Down IPA – American IPA
- Prairie Creek Porter – English-style porter
- Factory Settings Cream Ale
- Lil’ R&R Fruited Wheat Ale – Wheat ale made with locally grown raspberries and rhubarb
- Well Grounded Nitro Coffee Porter – Made with coffee roasted by Northfield’s Groundwire Coffee Roasters
- Oyster Stout MN – A collaborative stout brewed with oysters from The Fish Guys debuts tonight. Also on tap at Bad Weather.
- Short Vacation – To honor Hombrew Con, Insight sponsored a Chop & Brü Prefunk Party on June 14 with the exclusive Short Vacation, described as a Belgian table beer.
- Jupiter’s Shield – A juniper and sage barrel-aged wild ale that was fermented with 100-percent Brett Brux before being transferred into whiskey barrels. It releases at the Great NE Beer Carnival. Bottles go on sale at the taproom on June 17 at 12pm.
Lakes & Legends Brewing
- Mumzo the Sour – A kettle-soured IPA with pink guava fruit and Yakima Chief – Hopunion (YCH) LupuLN2 Mosaic Cyro Hops. On tap at Lakes & Legends taproom since Thursday.
Lake Monster Brewing
- Trendy A.F. – With a name reminiscent of a recent Growler article, Lake Monster has a taproom-only East Coast Citrus IPA on tap.
Lakeville Brewing Co.
- In the Books – This pale ale marked Lakeville’s first anniversary when it was released on Tuesday.
- Hashy – Using Cryo Lupulin hops, this beer is a collaboration with Yakima Chief – Hopunion (YCH) and Country Malt. On tap at a Lupulin showcase at Acadia tonight, and hitting more bars next week.
- Spudfest Cream Ale – Released Friday, one week in advance of Spudfest, this cream ale is a “light, summer farmhouse style beer,” according to the brewery, made with barley, wheat, corn, and over 50 pounds of local Big Lake spuds. 5.0% ABV, 12 IBU.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Red Tide Session IPA – A beer made with Homebrew Con in mind, this recipe comes from award-winning homebrewer Josh Hoover and won second place at last year’s worldwide SJPORR Challenge.
Pryes Brewing Co.
The company is debuting four brand new beers (plus Miraculum IPA on nitro) at the grand opening celebration of its new production brewery and taproom this Saturday.
- Blonde – This bright blonde ale has notes of lemon and peppercorn. 5.4% ABV.
- Session IPA – Ripe mango and orange zest aromas, full-bodied flavor, and a lush mouthfeel combine for a quaffable session IPA. 4.2% ABV.
- Red IPA – Malt-forward, with dark fruit and a pronounced bite from the hops, this red IPA clocks in at a hefty 8.1% ABV.
- Foreign Extra Stout – This is a rich, chocolatey, and smooth stout, according to the brewery description. 7.0% ABV
Summit Brewing Company
- Beer Hall Exclusive #4: Alpha Smash Session IPA – Out now, this is a SMaSH Session IPA made with experimental hops and malts. It features “clean bitterness and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits, cedar, coconut, toast, and spice,” Summit says. 4.7% ABV.
Tanzenwald Brewing Company
- Smithereen – A New England style IPA now on tap in Northfield.
Tin Whiskers Brewing
- Hibiscus Wit – A new Fourier Series release featured at Homebrew Con this week.
- IPA – Made with ingredients from Country Malt Group, also for Homebrew Con.
Unmapped Brewing Co.
This Saturday marks the opening of the first brewery taproom in Minnetonka. Unmapped will lead off with:
- Topo Wit – Witbier
- Saison Amelie – Saison/Farmhouse
- Disorientation – Belgian Tripel
- Quadruplication – Belgian Quadrupel
- No Trace – IPA
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Blackberry Sour – The first mixed-fermentation sour brewed at Wild Mind. 5.4% ABV, 5 IBU.
Seasonal or rotating returns
August Schell Brewing Company
- Hefeweizen – First brewed in 1894, this German-style wheat ale, with notes of banana and clove with a slight bready malt flavor, is back on store shelves and on tap for the summer. 4.75% ABV.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Maibock – Kegging in two weeks, per Bad Weather’s Twitter feed.
- Sun Pillar Belgian Blonde – Back in cans and in local stores.
- Lakes Area Lager – A Vienna/Mexican style lager. 4.8% ABV, 18 IBU
Indeed Brewing Company
- Heliotropic Wooden Soul #1 – Returning in smaller 375-milliliter bottles. “Expect big vinous, passionfruit, plum, and tropical notes, with a hint of powdery bubble gum and fruit flavor from the original Dupont yeast blending seamlessly with fruity Brett character,” says the brewery.
- Spud Fest Beer – Debuting June 16, a week before Big Lake’s annual spud fest, this is a farmhouse beer made with wheat, corn, and over 50 pounds of local Big Lake spuds. 5.0% ABV.
- Canoe Country Cream Ale – The return of a beer that debuted in November 2016, brewed in a partnership with the Campaign to Save the Boundary Waters.
- Smoked Wheat Erryday – A smoked hefeweizen with pineapple. 5.8% ABV.
Tin Whiskers Brewing
- Daisy Chain Saison – This summer saison returns on June 16.
Town Hall Brewery
- Pitstop Cherry Lager – A new lager exclusive to the new Town Hall satellite: Town Hall Station in Edina. Available at opening on June 16.
Beers just announced
Angry Inch Brewing
- Daddy’s Little Monster – Pride Dabbler is June 23 and the theme is Lady Gaga. Angry Inch will pour this imperial saison aged in a tequila barrel.
August Schell Brewing Co.
- Aura of the Rainbow – A Berliner Weisse with Pride Dabbler in mind. Juner 23.
Bank Brewing Co.
- Paper Gangsta – A blueberry, raspberry and strawberry milkshake IPA for Pride Dabbler.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Berry the Night – Blueberry milkshake IPA for Pride Dabbler.
- Travail collaboration – A currently unnamed kettle sour made with raspberries, lemon zest, vanilla beans, lactose, and Lemondrop hops for Summer Jam at Travail on July 1.
- I Was Born This Way Hey…Let’s Add Mangoes – Another beer for Pride Dabbler on June 23, this one a Belgian-style tripel with mangoes.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Electric Love Chapel – A Hibiscus Wit, available at Pride Dabbler next weekend.
Urban Forage Winery & Cider House
- Edge of Loring – This Pride Dabbler offering is a gin botanical cider made at the E. Lake Street cidery.
Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at email@example.com to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.