With well over 100 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up-to-date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
On the Fourth of July, American craft lagers reigned supreme. After a few holiday beers debuted last week, this week saw crisp new lagers from Barley John’s and Bemidji Brewing, fruity kettle sours at Dangerous Man and Northbound Smokehouse, and wheat beers of all stripes. Summer is in the air.
New beers available this week (July 2–July 9)
- Simcoe Double IPA – Brewed with bourbon barrel-aged honey, out today.
August Schell Brewing Company
- Bananas Foster Weizenbock – Stag Series #11, available now.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- JulyBock – A maibock for July, now available in the taproom.
- Gold – This new experimental beer made from Kernza was released Thursday at Bang’s taproom.
Barley John’s Brewing Company
- Crossing Croix Pils – Released earlier this week from the New Richmond facility.
- Bohemian Pilsner – Featuring Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner malt and German-grown Tettnang hops, this new lager is now available.
Big Wood Brewing
- Lil Red Riding Wood – An American red ale available at the White Bear Lake brewery’s taproom.
Broken Clock Brewing Co-Op
- Sundial Citrus IPA – In growlers and mini-growlers at the taproom.
Cuyuna Brewing Company
- Flying Finn Hefeweizen – The one and only keg of this summer seasonal was tapped at the Crosby, Minnesota, brewery’s taproom. 5.5% ABV.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Tarty Party – A kettle sour made with raspberries, lemon zest, vanilla beans, lactose, and Lemondrop hops in collaboration with Travail. Now on tap.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Ping Pong Tiddley London Porter – “Brewed with copious amounts of Brown malt, chocolate malt, and a special crystal malt. Not especially roasty or bitter, very smooth,” Fair State says. 4.8 ABV, 30 IBU.
HammerHeart Brewing Company
- Olaf the Stout – A bourbon barrel aged imperial rye stout, coming out in bottles on Saturday.
- Von Winterherz Verhasst – A smoked hefeweizen, another limited bottle release tomorrow at the brewery.
Lift Bridge Brewery
- Hefeweizen – New from the Limited Brewers Series at Lift Bridge, this beer features “subtle banana and clove esters born from a wonderfully hazy combination of wheat, golden barley, and Germanic yeast,” says the brewery, finishing with “a soft pear note.” Taproom only and limited to 500 bottles. 4.75% ABV, 14 IBU.
- Raspberry Shandy – Going on tap today for Firkin Friday, LTD made a special blonde shandy infused with raspberries to commemorate the unveiling of the “World’s Largest Raspberry” sculpture in Hopkins.
- Lower North Session IPA – Brewed for North Mankato Fun Days, this session IPA is available at the festival’s beer garden and at select bars in North Mankato.
Northbound Smokehouse and Brewpub
- Watermelon Kettle Sour – Made with 100 pounds of watermelon.
Roma Restaurant & Brewery
- Marrone – Released on the holiday, this is a new brown ale brewed in the English tradition.
Unmapped Brewing Co.
- Double Trace – The IIPA version of No Trace from Minnetonka’s new brewery. “A bigger, bolder version of No Trace,” boasts the brewery.
Urban Growler Brewing Company
- Sticky Rice – A unique offering that uses jasmine rice, ginger, mango and coconut atop a wheat base. “A nice refreshing summer brew. It’s not sweet, it’s delicious,” Urban Growler says.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Bahba Guava – A 100-percent wild yeast ale, aged in a red wine barrel with guava puree. “The resulting beer is the epitome of wild yeast. It is crazy tropical with insane notes of guava and pineapple. It is also super funky and a little tart from the barrel aging process,” the brewery explains. Available in Crowlers this Saturday.
- Livid Dreams – A blackberry ginger sour aged in Italian oak foeders.
- Velvet Crush – Wild IPA brewed using Mosaic, Citra, and Simcoe hops, sold only in Crowlers, starting on July 11.
- Vanilla Rye Saint Edward – A dark farmhouse ale made with vanilla beans.
Seasonal or rotating returns
- Raspberry Cream Ale – Back on tap for this weekend at the Anoka brewery’s taproom.
Bald Man Brewing
- Young American Pale Ale – Back on tap.
The Herkimer Pub & Brewery
- Gose Speziell Weizen – A seasonal wheat beer brewed with hints of coriander.
Urban Growler Brewing Company
- Kentucky Uncommon – Previously known as City Day Ale, rebranded. 5.5% ABV, 40 IBU.
Beers just announced
F-Town Brewing Company
- Faribault’s hometown brewery celebrates their second anniversary on July 15 from 4-10pm. No specific beers are named yet, but there will be “small limited batches” available at the party.
- Orange Cream Dream – Forager says this is a “sour Belgian witbier conditioned on dumb amounts of lactose sugar, vanilla beans, and blackened citrus.” Coming soon.
Hayes’ Public House
- Revenge of the Dullahan – Bottles of this 10.1% ABV imperial smoked coffee porter are set to be released at the taproom on July 22 starting at 3pm. The first 50 people to purchase their bottles receives a free limited edition five-ounce taster glass.
Herkimer Pub & Brewery
- Horizon Pale Ale – The annual return of this seasonal pale ale. Soon.
Jack Pine Brewery
- Strawberry Milkshake IPA – A new IPA made with lactose, available at the new taproom starting Saturday, July 15.
- Verticality #3 California Common – The third beer in the brewery’s Verticality Series is made from pale and crystal malt from Vertical Malt in Fisher, Minnesota and Crystal hops from Mighty Axe Hops in Ham Lake/Foley, Minnesota. Available on draft at the taproom on July 13 at 6pm. 5% ABV, 35 IBU.
Schram Vineyards Winery & Brewery
- Slipstream Sour – Out on July 13.
- Turbulent Sour Imperial Stout – A barrel-aged beer out on July 13.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Electric Love – A Cactus Hibiscus Wit, coming to the taproom on July 14 at 3pm
- A special collaborative project is in the works with Old Chicago, according to a recent brewery newsletter.
Town Hall Brewery
Town Hall’s second youngest offshoot, Town Hall Lanes, turns four this month. They’ll celebrate with (what else) beer specials available at the pub and bowling alley. Oh, and Taco Tuesday.
- Mango Mama – Releasing at 5pm on Monday July 16.
- Czar Jack – The gold medal-winning barrel-aged Imperial Stout, out on July 17.
- Lemonage Lager – A lager aged on lemons, with $4 pours all day on Wednesday July 19.
- Manhattan Reserve – A grand cru from the Barrel Series, out on July 21.
Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.