With well over 100 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up-to-date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
Continuing the long march into the winter season, this week’s beer releases are still mostly winter themed, with piney hops, fir tips, and hot chocolate influences in new beers on the market.
Indeed and Lift Bridge have new collaborations hitting select locations, 56 and Wild Mind have new imperial stouts, and four new beers are on tap at Forager in Rochester.
New beers available this week (November 27–December 3)
Three new beers released at 10K in Anoka on Tuesday:
- Citrasaic: Brewers Edition
- Saison infused with Habanero
12welve Eyes Brewing
- Grapefruit Saint Paul Pale
- Peach Cobbler Cream Ale
- Barrel Aged Sour Smoked Maple Porter – This dark beer released last week on Black Friday.
- Batch 56 – A Russian imperial stout aged in a Buffalo Trace barrel for nine months. This beer is a taproom exclusive, limited to 750-milliliter wax-dipped bottles. 9.5% ABV, 75 SRM, out today.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Upside-Down IPA – “Upside-Down IPA was brewed as a hazy IPA with a big emphasis on late and dry hop additions (Comet, Centennial, and Lemon Drop hops) for aromas of orange, juniper, nectarine, lemon, and light pineapple. But we filtered it crystal clear so there is no need to chew it,” the brewery says.
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Tripel Abbey Ale – Out on December 1.
Big Wood Brewery
- Bourbon Barrel-Aged Black Anvil Imperial Stout – Another Black Friday release, this one was in bomber bottles for sale at the taproom only.
- Cocoa-Vanilla Creme Ale
C Squared Ciders
- Cousteau – This cider introduces C Squared’s Sailor Series. It’s a French-American hybrid cider with mixed culture fermentation. “Cousteau is crisp, tart, and dry from the bittersweet apples, with aromas of stone fruit and a hint of toasted oak,” the cidery says. 6.9% ABV and in stores now.
Day Block Brewing Company
- The Splendid End – This new Bands That Brew series release is a dark mild with the addition of cacao nibs and Madagascar vanilla. “The beer starts with the mild malt-forward bread, biscuit, and toffee quality, with a subtle noble hop character. The creamy vanilla and sweet chocolate tones leave you with a Splendid End,” the brewery says. 5.7% ABV, 15 IBU. Out today, release concert on Saturday December 2.
Earth Rider Brewery
- India Pale Ale – “Complex hop flavors of pine, citrus, stone fruit, and berry dominate the taste with a malt backbone to offset the moderate hop bitterness,” says Earth Rider.
Eastlake Craft Brewery
- Good Ol’ Gnarly Brown – “This 8 percent brew pits caramel hazelnut against sourdough biscuity toastiness,” Eastlake says.
- The Raccoon & The Bear – This is a woodsy red IPA, brewed with the addition of fir tips and red cedar shavings. Notes of wood, clean citrus, and more. On sale in 750-milliliter bottles.
Excelsior Brewing Company
- ExperimentAle #1 – A pilot run session ale featuring Mosaic, Sorachi Ace, and Citra hops, described as floral and easy drinking. 5.2% ABV, 81 IBU.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- 7 Principles – A pale ale made with Zeus and Cascade hops from Mighty Axe. 5.1% ABV, 40 IBU.
Flat Earth Brewing Company
- Pooka Irish Cream Porter – Flat Earth is making a new porter each Wednesday until February 2018. This version released on November 29.
- Humble Hops – A double IPA brewed with IPA with Citra and Galaxy hops. 8.6% ABV.
- Sour Franny – A kettle-soured Belgian wit. 4.5% ABV.
- Trip Hops – Another new DIPA, this one uses Citra, Mosaic, and Simcoe hops and comes in at 8.8% ABV.
- Twisted Twig: Strawberry – “American sour ale with over 3 pounds of local strawberries per gallon,” says Forager. 6.8% ABV.
HammerHeart Brewing Company
- Knut the Great – A British-style pale ale. 6.5% ABV.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Bia-Side Pils – Made exclusively for the new Hai Hai Vietnamese restaurant, this take on B-Side Pils is infused with ginger, lemongrass, and citrus to be reminiscent of the North Vietnamese tradition of Bia Hoi street beers.
- Wooden Soul: Cranberry Sour – The second new exclusive from Indeed will be sold at all Red Cow locations. “This ruby red sour was aged in wood from between a year to a year and a half, then re-fermented on 250 pound of fresh cranberries, roasted at Red Cow, and finished with a hint of hibiscus,” Indeed says. Tapped today at all Red Cow locations Kicking off Red Cow’s 12 Beers of Christmas, this tart and fruity beauty will be tapped at all locations. (Additional Indeed beers will also be on tap).
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Experimental IPA – Motzueka hops, 6.0% ABV.
- Acid Rain Hops – A dry-hopped kettle sour.
Lakeville Brewing Co.
- Nice Ronnie – A 6.5% ABV, 60 IBU American pale ale.
Lift Bridge Brewing
- Beer of the Dark – Lift Bridge has another collaboration with 93X out now, this time it’s a limited release black lager. Out today.
Modist Brewing Company
- Dilly Dilly – This is not a spiced honey mead, but a Mosaic double IPA brewed with oats and barley. “It’s ultra hazy, ultra soft, and a dilly of a good time,” Modist says. 8.0% ABV, with 200 Crowlers available starting at noon today.
- Hunkboy – A robust porter pouring at 6.0% ABV.
- Chernabog, infused with licorice spices – A five gallon pin of this infused black IPA will be tapped at 4pm tomorrow, December 2.
- White IPA
Summit Brewing Company
- Imperial Russian Stout – Union series #6 will release soon in four-packs of 12-ounce bottles in early December, and tapped last night at the brewery’s Beer Hall. It was influenced by a 19th Century recipe. Summit says it’s black coal in color with “aromas of dark chocolate, dark fruit and licorice…[plus] “complex flavors and aromas of dark fruit, roasted malt, black licorice, and mocha coffee.” 10.5% ABV, 70 IBU.
Surly Brewing Company
- Hopshifter #12 – This Beer Hall only release is dry hopped and features experimental hop HBC 682 from Washington’s Yakima Valley. “Strong and earthy, like Rambo,” Surly says.
Tin Whiskers Brewing
- Volt Elderflower Rhubarb Wheat – Returning from a Brew-Off with Urban Growler, this wheat ale brewed with oats, elderflower, rhubarb, and minimal hops has a floral and tart flavor, the brewery says. It introduces the new Spark series. “Just like a spark, these limited-run beers will be here one second and gone the next.” In cans in local stores for a limited time.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Atomic 26 – Out now, this is an imperial stout aged in Vikre Distillery Single Malt Whiskey Barrels.
Seasonal or rotating returns
Barley John’s Brewing Company
- Winter Ale
- Super G LOV – “Super G LOV will be available on December 1 in the taproom with limited Crowlers available. Full Crowler debut starting on December 8,” the brewery says.
Modist Brewing Company
- Ritual Night – This Mexican dark chocolate stout is, in Modist’s words, “A stout brewed with velvety smooth dark chocolate and vanilla bean with a well balanced cinnamon and red chili smolder.” Limited.
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Snowpocalypse – The first in a three-release Snow Series, Snowpocalypse is a Scotch Ale hopped with East Kent Goldings. 9.0% ABV.
Sociable Cider Werks
- Fat Bike Mulled Cider – A non-heated version of this popular cider is available in cans until February.
Stevens Point Brewery
- Snow Pilot – Available through the winter, this gold-winner (2016 World Beer Championships), is described as, “An English-style mild brown ale flavored with crushed pistachio nuts for a new twist on the classic nut brown ale style.”
Beers just announced
Bald Man Brewing
- Killer Queen Imperial IPA – Back on tap on December 7.
Excelsior Brewing Company
Three new beers are in development and “coming soon,” according to the brewery’s website:
- Berliner Weisse
- Golden Ale
- Peanut Butter Stout
- Rye-U-Mah – Rye red ale.
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Anniversary Beer – Year Two is a barrel-aged Winter Warmer aged in rye and bourbon barrels. “The result is a boozy, dark beer with roast and chocolate flavors that clocks in at 11.9% ABV,” Lakes & Legends says. On tap December 9 at their second anniversary party.
- Winter Warmer – The non-barrel aged version also returns on December 9, clocking in at 10.3% ABV.
- Winter Warmer infusions – In addition, the anniversary party will feature new firkins on the hour with infusions including hot chiles, marshmallow, and Vietnamese coffee.
- Anniversary Ale – Mankato is prepping for their big party come January 5, 2018. A one year-aged Mr. Stout will also be tapped at the event.
Pryes Brewing Company
- Winter IPA – “We crafted this beer with bold hoppy aromatics, natural hop-driven pine flavors and hints of black currant,” the brewery says.
Surly Brewing Company
- Barrel Aged Pentagram – After a combined 26 months in barrels (18 in red wine, eight in rye whiskey), this beer is described by Surly as amplifying the its “intense sour cherry, tobacco, oak, and Brett notes.”
- Thai Cynic – Cask Tuesday at the Beer Hall on December 5. This beer is infused with chilies, lime, and ginger.
Talking Waters Brewing Company
- Batch 100 Belgian Quad – “Brandy and Bourbon barrels arrived today at TWBC! Soon they will be filled with our 2019 Berzerker and our Batch 100 Belgian Quad,” the brewery says.
- Berzerker Imperial Stout – Announced for 2019, and put into barrels, as announced in the Batch 100 listing above.
Wabasha Brewing Company
- PIA Double IPA
- Amber Weizen – An amber-brown wheat beer. “Clove-like aromas on a base of a variety of European wheat and barley malts, supported by the subtle use of German noble and American heritage hops,” says the brewery. 5.6% ABV.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at email@example.com to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.