With well over 100 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up-to-date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly listing of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
As the calendar demands, the maibocks are coming out this week, including a blessed one at Town Hall Brewery at Seven Corners. There are new double IPAs, hazy IPAs, and plenty of Cinco de Mayo–themed beers.
Breweries are also announcing and rolling out special collaboration beers: Excelsior has a new beer available only at Davanni’s, and Lift Bridge has an exclusive at Red Cow. New beers announced for release in the coming weeks include the return of Badger Hill/Valleyfair’s American Wheat, an oyster stout from Bad Weather, Inbound BrewCo, and The Fish Guys, and a new series made with hefeweizen yeast from Surly.
New beers available this week (May 1-7)
56 Brewing: The brewery will be releasing new beers on tap at the grand opening of their new taproom this afternoon, May 5, including:
- Nose Hair Bender IPA
- Centennial IPA
- Session 56 Citra Hop IPA
- Batch 56 Russian Imperial Stout, aged in Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve barrels.
Angry Inch Brewing
- Cerveza del Lago – A Mexican-style lager brewed with flaked maize and agave, released on Cinco de Mayo.
- Papa’s Secret Stash Imperial Porter – An imperial ported infused with cold press coffee. “This porter offers rich coffee notes, subtle chocolate flavors with a nice warming finish,” says the brewery. 10.5% ABV, 56 IBU and limited supply.
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- High Road with Citra hops and tangerine – A taproom-only infusion keg of their session ale, tapped on Wednesday.
- Galactic Champion – Released May 4, Bent offers a special version of Nordic Blonde in limited edition packaging for Fantasy Flights’ 2017 World Championships. On tap at select Roseville locations.
Boom Island Brewing
- Pêche Barrel Aged Sour with Peaches – The newest release from the Spontaneous Series 2017, a tart and dry Belgian-style beer fermented in oak casks with peaches and apricot. Boom Island describes it as lightly acidic: “Tart, effervescent with a smooth, dry denouement.” 4.8% ABV, available at the brewery for a limited time in 750-milliliter bottles and on draft.
Day Block Brewing Company
- Maple Bock – For their small batch series, they harvested maple sap at Doo Little Syrup in Waupaca, Wisconsin, and boiled it down into maple syrup. The use of honey malt in the mash was added to pair gently with the maple syrup and hops for a smooth, 9% ABV maple bock. Available on draft at the brewpub on May 3.
Excelsior Brewing Company
- Lumpy’s Lager – A new lager on draft at the taproom.
- Upper Crust – Excelsior teamed up with local pizzeria chain Davanni’s for this Kolsch-style ale that debuts today. Crisp and clean, with subtle fruitiness and a bready malt base. 5.5% ABV, 12 IBU.
- Hopstar Session IPA – Fulton is debuting its new summer seasonal, the juicy Hopstar Session IPA, at the Fulton Gran Fondo event on May 5. The beer will be available on shelves following the event in 16-ounce cans May through June. 4.9% ABV.
Goat Ridge Brewing Co.
- Dark Horns – A doppelbock, 7.1% ABV, 21 IBU.
- In the Wood – A limited-time offering at the taproom’s side bar.
- Irish Red – 5.2% ABV, 30 IBU.
- Mad Bloke English Blonde – New in New London. 5.2% ABV, 24 IBU.
- Rye Mama Rye – 5.8% ABV, 18 IBU.
Hayes’ Public House
- Daiker Wee Heavy – Hayes’ bottle series continues with their fourth release, Daiker. 9.0% ABV, available for sale at the taproom.
- Batch #539 IPA – The latest in the Batch Brewers Series is “loaded with intense mango and tangerine aromas that finishes with a quenching citrus blast. We owe it all to the Azacca, Mandarina Bavaria, and Lemondrop hops added at an alarming rate of 5lbs per barrel,” says the brewery. 6.3% ABV, 70 IBU. On top May 5 at the taproom
- Crazy Aunt Gin & Tonic-style Ale – Insight’s new beer is modeled after the famous cocktail, including the use of coriander, juniper, lime juice, and tonic water. With a malty sweetness and a distinct quinine flavor, it’s a summer cocktail in a can. 6.0% ABV, available since Wednesday on tap and in 4-packs.
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Bandit – Released on Tuesday, this stout is the midpoint between Junkyard’s Peanut Butter Porter and King Size Imperial Peanut Stout. It will feature a variety different “jelly-style flavors,” starting with cherry this week. 8.0% ABV.
Lake Monster Brewing Company
- Howler Double IPA – A new dank and citrusy DIPA from Lake Monster, available at the taproom. 8.8% ABV.
Lift Bridge Brewing Co.
- Orange Pale Ale – Out now, the sixth in the Cow-laboration Series of beers made exclusively for Red Cow. This pale ale was brewed with Mandarina Bavaria and Citra hops, with an addition of orange peel. 5.0% ABV, 45 IBU.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Deviation 006 – Out this Friday at the Modist taproom, the sixth release in the Deviation series could be described as the spiritual successor to Toats. It’s a pale ale brewed with oats and hopped with Simcoe and Bravo.
Schram Vineyards Winery & Brewery
- Munich Dunkel – Released for Derby Day, this is a medium-bodied, deep copper-colored, easy-drinking lager beer. Rich malt complexity with bread crust and undertones of chocolate. 5.2% ABV
Spilled Grain Brewhouse
- False Hope – Released yesterday in 750-milliliter bottles and on tap at the brewery, Spilled Grain describes this big wheatwine as with “grainy and bready flavor” as well was moderate fruitiness with a low carbonation, medium-full body. 11.1% ABV, 53 IBU.
Surly Brewing Co.
- Dampfbier – The first of three Surly beers showcasing different uses of hefeweizen ale yeast. This one is a German steam beer that debuted on May 1.
Vine Park Brewing Company: St. Paul’s brew-on-premise has a new batch of beers available at their growler shop:
- Sticky Wicket ESB
- Walnut Brown Ale
- Big Tex IPA
- Capitol Hill Pils
- Stump Jumper Amber Ale
- Rabid Penguin Porter
Waconia Brewing Company
- Mexican Lager – A limited-time taproom beer to debut on Cinco de Mayo.
Wicked Wort Brewing Company
- Walk of Shame Double IPA – A dry DIPA made with Chinook, Warrior, and Idaho 7 hops. 8.1% ABV, 81 IBU.
Seasonal or rotating returns
Barley John’s Brew Pub
- May the Bock Be With You Maibock – Released yesterday (Star Wars Day), this seasonal double decocted Maibock returns.
Castle Danger Brewery
- Summer Crush – This 4.7% ABV summer crusher brewed with Sorachi Ace hops is back.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Cromulence – Fair State’s popular wheat sour returns to “embiggen” the hearts of local Berliner Weisse fans.
Herkimer Pub and Brewery
- Rye Saison – Herkimer describes this as “full of bright flavors of citrus and light caramel with an added bit of spice due to the rye malt and French saison yeast.” 7.7% ABV
Indeed Brewing Company
- Mexican Honey Imperial Lager – Indeed’s high alcohol lager, made with sweet orange blossom honey, returned in 16-ounce cans and draft lines on May 1. 8.0% ABV, 17 IBU.
- #10 Hefeweizen – Made with summer in mind, this is a German-style hefe with hints of clove and banana. 5.1% ABV, 15 IBU.
Surly Brewing Co.
- #Merica! – Surly’s flaked corn, soft hopped Pre-Prohibition lager is back, as of May 1, in four-packs of 16-ounce cans and will be available in 12-packs of 12-ounce cans starting May 22. It will also be on draft at the Surly Destination Brewery starting May 10.
Steel Toe Brewing
- Sommer Vice – Released again on Tuesday, Steel Toe’s Bavararian-style hefeweizen: “Aromas of baked bread and toasted nuts from the malted wheat, are accompanied by banana, clove, and a hint of lemony citrus from the traditional strain of yeast,” according to the brewery. 5.0% ABV, 15 IBU.
Town Hall Brewery
- Maibock – At 5pm, Town Hall will hold its annual Blessing Of The Maibock, heralding the returning spring, and that of their classic seasonal lager.
- Peach Hefeweizen – A draft-only infusion that as of May 3rd was going to be tapped “any day now.”
Urban Growler Brewing Company
- Lemongrass Wheat – A lemongrass-filled wheat beer from the Plow To Pint series.
Beers just announced
August Schell Brewing Company
- American Pale Lager – “Hopped with Citra and Hallertau Blanc, APL is a bright hoppy take on a classic lager with incredible citrus aromatics,: according to the brewery. This lager is being packaged in sampler packs and will be available on store shelves in the next two weeks.
Bad Weather Brewing Company/Inbound BrewCo/BSG
- Oyster Stout – Some photos have been circulating of the Bad Weather, Inbound, and BSG crews cleaning oysters for an upcoming collaboration with The Fish Guys Inc. of St. Louis Park.
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Chocolate Heat Foundation Stout – The May 10 Weekly Infusion Keg in the taproom, tapped at 3pm.
- North Star American Wheat MN – Badger Hill’s beer for Valleyfair returns on May 13, debuting at the taproom and served both onsite and at Valleyfair itself through the summer.
- Minne-Ale Kolsch with pomegranate – The May 16 Weekly Infusion Keg, to be tapped at 3pm.
- There’s Always Money In The Banana Stand Hefe – On May 24 comes the latest in the Brewer’s Batch series. This beer was created by Packaging Manager Tim Johnson and has that classic banana-scented hefe profile.
- Hoppy Kolsch – Another in the Brewer’s Batch series, this beer releases on May 28 in the taproom.
- Minne-Ale Kolsch with cherry and lime – The May 30 Weekly Infusion Keg, to be tapped at 3pm.
- Witty Blonde – This new dry-hopped white ale debuts on May 12. 5.1% ABV, 20 IBU.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- KANŪ Session Pale Ale – Get ready for Festiversary on May 13, when this new 4.8% ABV pale ale debuts.
- Vrunetta – A 5% ABV Oud Bruin made in collaboration with Liefmans, in Oudenaarde, Belgium. Ommegang calls this a mild, clean and balanced beer with a touch or caramel sweetness. Coming to four-packs later this month.
Herkimer Pub and Brewery
- Summer Farmhouse Ale – This summer seasonal will return at Herkimer. They describe it as an “extremely fragrant beer with notes of orange and just a hint of bubble gum, this lighter farmhouse beer is easy drinking and very dry as it finishes on your palate.”
- Toolers Hefeweizen – Returning later this month, this hefe features notes of banana and clove.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Flock Together collaboration with Dangerous Man Brewing – The latest in Indeed’s collaboration series is an amber ale brewed with tea that will be tapped for Art-A-Whirl weekend, May 19.
- Peach Bum IPA – “Peach Bum is brewed with a strain of yeast that produces peach-like flavors, playing off the fruity character of its four hop varieties. We added more peach to give this IPA extra juice.” Available starting June 5 until early October on tap and in 12-ounce cans.
Surly Brewing Co.
- Yoyodyne – Surly’s take on a dry-hopped hefeweizen. The second of three Surly beers showcasing different uses of the hefeweizen ale yeast. Out on May 8.
- Inherent Weiss – The third of three in this hefeweizen series, an imperial hefe, dry-hopped with Cascade, Chinook, and Centennial hops. 9.0% ABV. Out on July 12.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Lightness of Being Foeder Wild Ale – “After aging in large, oak foeders with our native wild yeast and microflora, this American wild ale is packed with flavor, including notes of lemon curd, vanilla, wildflowers, and stone fruit.” The release date for 750-milliliter bottles is May 16.
- Through The Vines Dry-hopped Foeder Wild Ale – “This oak foeder-aged American wild ale has been sitting in wait on a blend of our native wild yeast and microflora. As if that wasn’t enough, we dry hopped the beer with Nelson Sauvin hops. The end result is a dry, rustic-style farmhouse ale with hints of white wine, tart berries, fresh hay, and lemon.” The release date for 750-milliliter bottles is May 16.
Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.