With well over 100 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up-to-date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
Some people can sense the changing of the season when their old knee injury flares up. For those lucky enough not to bear painful scars, there are other signs that fall is near.
The leaves may not be changing colors yet, but the beers are. Summit, Fair State, Excelsior, and Leinenkugel’s are a few of the breweries to announce their annual Oktoberfest offerings.
Twenty-eight specialty drinks were announced for this year’s Minnesota State Fair (August 24–September 4). Lift Bridge announced Mini Donut beer last week, so don’t worry that it’s not included below.
New beers available this week (August 7–August 13)
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Traitor with Mango – The Friday infusion at the Shakopee taproom.
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- Dorothy Mantooth – An all Mosaic IPA available this week at the Lowertown taproom. 7.5% ABV.
- Shooter McGavin – An all Citra double IPA available this week at the Lowertown taproom. 8.2% ABV.
Bent Paddle Brewing Company
- Citra Bumped Kanū on Cask – Tapped this Wednesday at the Duluth brewery.
- Citrus Party Kanū – Tapped this Wednesday at the Duluth brewery.
- Extra Dry–hopped Kanū with Amarillo – Tapped this Wednesday at the Duluth brewery.
Birch’s on the Lake
- Chipotle Stout – On tap at the Long Lake brewpub this week.
- Key Lime Shandy – On tap at the Long Lake brewpub this week.
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Mango Django – Hoppy Belgian blonde fermented on mango juice. Loads of tropical aroma and flavors of mango, lemon, lime, and tropical fruits, says the brewery. 6% ABV.
Canal Park Brewing Company
- Hank & Dabs Pale Ale – This is a light and floral pale ale has a soft lingering bitterness and is the new beer of the month at the Duluth brewpub. 5.85% ABV, 30 IBU.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Hazelnut Coffee Stout – Brewed with Dogwood coffee, this stout is rich and roasty, with a distinctive coffee aroma and flavor. The hazelnut is subtle until the finish, says the brewery. 5.5% ABV, 26 IBU
- Shared Vessel – A new Belgian blonde ale brewed in collaboration with DESTIHL Brewing from Bloomington, Illinois. It’s made with local lavender blossom honey and herbal tea, and sports a “bouquet of citrus, honey, and strawberries, complemented by candied stone fruit notes and a classic Belgian finish,” says Dangerous Man.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
The Third Anniversary Mixed Lager Four-Pack hit stores this week. With two cans of two different beers.
- Keller Kazbek – An unfiltered German-style pilsner with Czech Kazbek hops. 4.9% ABV, 38 IBU.
- Festbier – An Oktoberfest-style lager that placed in the Top 3 of The Growler’s Oktoberfest blind tasting last year. Crisp with a toasty malt character. 5.7 ABV, 20 IBU.
Falconer Vineyards & Cidery
- Lumberjack Barrel Oaked Cider – Falconer just debuted their third cider. This is aged in Minnesota oak, imparting a dry tannin flavor to complement the apple sweetness. Sold in 22-ounce bottles.
- Jumanji Juice – An apricot sour ale that went on tap at the Rochester brewpub on Tuesday.
- Freehouse # 33 Gose – This traditional German gose was kettle soured with natural and organic lactic cultures, creating a lingering acidity; sea salt and coriander additions create a crisp, light, refreshing beer, says the brewpub. On tap now at The Freehouse.
HammerHeart Brewing Company
- Blåtand – An imperial blueberry IPA debuts in bottle form on August 12 for the brewery’s fourth anniversary party at the taproom. The brewery promised additional rare beers on tap that same day.
- Imperial Longship – Debuts in bottle form on August 12 at the taproom.
- Percy’s Black Ale – A special release for local author Benjamin Percy’s new book, “The Dark Net.”
- Comet Pale Ale – New Beer Friday release at Inbound.
Jack Pine Brewery
Three new beers debuted at Jack Pine a week ago:
- Raspberry Hibiscus Dead Branch
- Fenceline Hop-Fusion with Comet hops
LTD Brewing Company
- Blue Agave Nectar Blonde Ale – Released for LTD’s Firkin Friday, this beer is sweet and smooth with hints of floral and spice, according to the brewery.
LTS Brewing Company
- Strawberry Wheat – A 5.2% ABV, 21 IBU American wheat ale.
- Karma infused with Lemon and Ginger – This Kölsch-style ale is infused with lemon and ginger to create a Karma shandy.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Fourier Series: Mosaic and Simcoe IPA – “Super juicy with big notes of tropical fruit,” says the brewery. 5.2% ABV.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Shallow Water Session IPA – “This IPA is the Deepwater DIPA scaled back and then added Galaxy hops for fruit notes. It is extremely cloudy with flaked wheat and wheat malts,” says the brewery. Why? Because, “Shallow waters aren’t always clear.” 4.6% ABV, 44 IBU.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Lime in the Gose-nut – Wild Mind goes lime-crazy this week. This mixed culture gose was brewed with smoked sea salt, lime juice, and lime peel. 5.0% ABV, 10 IBU.
- Weekend at Bernie’s – This iced coffee-ginger-lime Caribbean stout is 7.0% ABV, 25 IBU. “We decided to take the caribbean name seriously and make the beer a little more tropical,” the brewery says. A portion is aging in rum barrels for a later release.
Seasonal or rotating returns
- Double Stuffed – This milk stout was released again this week in Crowlers and on tap.
- Stupid Good – A New England-style IPA now on tap.
Excelsior Brewing Company
- Docktoberfest Märzen Lager – It’s O-Fest time in Excelsior. “Sweet, elegant malt complexity in the forefront, with a slight Noble hop bitterness to provide a balanced, clean finish,” says the brewery. Chinook and Hersbrucker hops over Vienna and Munich malt. In stores now. 6.2% ABV, 32 IBU.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Pineapple Cromulence – Released yesterday, Fair State says: “Berliner weiss with lots of pineapple. Brewed with a high percentage of wheat malt, co-fermented with Bavarian wheat beer and Lactobacillus, and a touch of citrus peel. Moderately sour, lemony, and refreshing, it’s a cromulent rendition of a classic style.” 4.0% ABV, 10 IBU.
Hayes’ Public House
- Eye of Balor Russian Imperial Stout – Smooth and velvety, with notes of dark chocolate, coffee, and slight fruity esters, says the brewery. On tap now at the brewery. 9.7% ABV.
- Goody Goody Gose – Originally brewed for this year’s Beer Dabbler at Twin Cities Pride, the brewery has brought this gose back to the taproom in a limited supply. On tap now at the brewery.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Yamma Jamma Harvest Ale – It’s the fifth and final autumn for Indeed’s celebrated sweet potato ale. Yamma Jamma will be retired for good in October, so get your hands on the last batches beginning with Indeed’s Five Year Celebration at Icehouse on August 19.
Modist Brewing Company
- False Pattern – Back in February, Modist chose to retire TOATS, their soft and hazy oat-filled pale ale, when lawyers from the gigantic EJ Gallo winery sent them a letter about potential brand confusion. Well that beer is toats back again, this time with a brand new look and feel. False Pattern will be released in 4-packs of tallboy cans to liquor stores on August 16, and in the Modist taproom on August 19.
- Supra Deluxe – Originally born as Deviation 007, Supra Deluxe is an American take on a Japanese premium lager, made from a malt bill of over 40 percent rice alongside Premium Extra Pale Pilsner malt, and hopped with Japanese Soriachi Ace hops. A dry, crisp, crushable lager. Two hundred Crowlers will be available at the taproom starting August 19.
- Oktoberfest – Leinie’s traditional märzen-style beer has a toasted malt flavor and subtle, spicy hop notes. 5.1% ABV, 20 IBU.
Summit Brewing Company
- Oktoberfest – Summit’s fall seasonal, which placed in the top 10 of The Growler’s Oktoberfest blind tasting last year, is out now across the metro.
Beers just announced
- Lingonberry Lager – One of 28 beer themed drinks the Minnesota State Fair announced this week. This lager is described as “Rich, golden in color, medium bodied lager with sweet and tart accents.” Available at the fair, running August 24–September 24.
Angry Inch Brewing
- Lost Island IPA – This New England-style IPA is a collaboration with neighbors Lakeville Brewing.
August Schell Brewing Co.
Schell’s has two new beers in the soon to release Fall Sampler Pack, packaged alongside staples Firebrick and Pilsner.
- Farmhouse Ale
And three State Fair options as well:
- Grain Belt Frozen Blu – A twist on previous years’ Grain Belt Blu, this blueberry Grain Belt is frozen into a foam and used to top other beers.
- Red, Light and Blu Frozen Beer – New for the fair, this is a Red Citrus Sangria Beer layered with Grain Belt Frozen Blu and Grain Belt Premium Light.
- Frozen Red Citrus Sangria Beer – A citrus lager.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Gose – This German-style gose is making its way back to the taproom on August 14.
- Lemon Sunshine – Bad Weather brewed a limoncello-inspired ale available at Mancini’s fair location during the Minnesota State Fair.
Barley John’s Brew Pub
- Dill Pickle Beer – Brewed specially for the fair with fresh dill, horseradish, and spices. Garnished with a dill pickle and havarti dill cheese.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- The Shandlot – Bauhaus’ take on the shandy. Available at the fair.
- Schwandtoberfest – The Bavarian-style festbier, which placed in the top 10 of The Growler’s Oktoberfest blind tasting last year, is returning soon. 5.7% ABV and 27 IBU.
- Hungarian Cherry Wheat Ale – Bent’s new fair beer, made from American-grown Hungarian tart cherries, was created with the input from the 2016 Minnesota State Fair Homebrew Gold Medal winners.
Bent Paddle Brewing Company
- Mosaic Kanū – To be served at the fair, August 24–September 4.
Big Wood Brewing
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Beer – “With hints of chocolate and vanilla. Each glass is rimmed with semi-sweet chocolate,” says a fair press release.
Castle Danger Brewery
- Grapefruit Ode IPA – Ode IPA infused with grapefruit. On tap at O’Gara’s at the Fair.
Eastlake Craft Brewery
- Kirby Pucker – Eastlake’s sour wheat ale will be available at the fairgrounds this year.
Excelsior Brewing Co.
- Maple Bacon Brown – Brown ale with Minnesota maple syrup for a hint of sweetness.
Flat Earth Brewing Company
- S’More Beer – Cygnus X-1 Porter with all the classics of campfire s’mores. “Each glass is rimmed with chocolate, dipped in crushed graham crackers and topped off with a marshmallow,” says the State Fair.
- Frontier Amarillo IPA – A crisp and hoppy IPA to be served at Frontier Bar on the fairgrounds.
Hayes’ Public House
- O’Hanlon’s Barrel Aged Imperial IPA – This imperial IPA was aged in Wild Turkey Bourbon barrels for one long month, then blended together for a final dose of dry hopping with Citra and Mosaic. Available in very limited quantities on August 26. 9% ABV.
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Sweet Corn Summer Ale – This beer was made with real sweet corn and will be available at the Minnesota State Fair.
- Original Beergarita – From across the river in Chippewa Falls, this margarita mix is blended with Honey Weiss, to be served at Tejas Express at the State Fair this year.
Indeed Brewing Company
Indeed celebrates their fifth anniversary on August 19 with dual parties at their Northeast brewery and another at Icehouse.
Taps for the day include:
- Rum King
- Strawberry Fields
- Yamma Jamma 2017
- Adult Red Bull Slushie – Insight brewed a malt beverage that goes into this beer cocktail available at the fair.
- Duke of Cuke – Insight’s light lager, infused with cucumber.
Ordinary Mary – Insight’s malt, mixed with the bloody Mary mix at Lulu’s Public House. State Fair only.
Sociable Cider Werks
- Raspberry Hard Cider – Three apple varieties and raspberry puree go into this fair-themed cider.
- Candy Apple Hard Cider – This cider blends Honeycrisp, Haralson, and SweeTango apples with a caramel touch.
Surly Brewing Co.
- Wet – Wet hops are back this fall. 2017’s recipe uses Mosaic hops.
- Minnesota Mule Cider – Apples, lime and ginger make up this ciderized version of a Moscow Mule. State Fair only.
- Caramel Apple Pi Cider Beer – State Fair spokespeople describe this as, “Apple cider with barley malts for a warming caramel apple pie taste.”
Talking Waters Brewing Co.
- Montevideo’s Talking Waters announced a West Coast IPA collaboration made with the staff at WoodGrain Brewing Co. in Sioux Falls.
Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at email@example.com to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.