With well over 100 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up-to-date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
Jacket weather may be lingering outside, but the brewing calendar looks ready to turn the page to summer. Double IPAs are popular new offerings this week, Bad Larry’s hard coffee hits the shelves, and numerous specialty beers were unveiled for upcoming events like Brunch-A-Palooza and The Beer Dabbler at Twin Cities Pride, both in June.
Meanwhile, Surly will release Eleven on June 5, Bent Paddle brewed a beer exclusively for Pizza Luce, Ska Brewing quietly entered the Minnesota market, and two of the state’s breweries announced their first packaged beers.
New beers available this week (May 22–28)
Bad Habit Brewing Company
- Soothes the Soul Pale Ale – Out today, this is a dry-hopped pale ale brewed with Citra and Mosaic hops.
- Peach Me, I’m Dreaming Wheat Ale – Brand new and making it’s debut at Bad Habit’s Patio Party this Saturday.
- A new hard coffee made with Blackeye cold brew. 6.0% ABV, 180 mg of caffeine.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Alt Facts – A new German-style altbier at the St. Paul taproom.
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- There’s Always Money In The Banana Stand Hefe – The latest in the Brewer’s Batch series, released May 24. This beer was created by Packaging Manager Tim Johnson and has that classic banana-scented hefe profile.
- Hoppy Kölsch – Another in the Brewer’s Batch series, this beer releases on May 28 in the taproom.
Birch’s on the Lake
- Raspberry Shandy – A light blond ale with raspberries.
- Bend the Knee Golden Ale – The Game of Thrones series continues with Bend the Knee, out since Monday. It’s a golden ale with flaked oats and wildflower honey, clocking in at 9.0% ABV.
Copper Trail Brewing Company
- Glacier’s Edge – A new white IPA in Alexandria.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Citra Dry-Hopped Pineapple Sour – 7.1 ABV, 20 IBU.
Dubh Linn Brew Pub
- Galway Bay IPA – A new double IPA on tap in Duluth.
- Extra! Extra! Pale Ale – Fulton continues to team with Minnesota icons. First Wheaties, now Star Tribune. The pale ale commemorates the 150th anniversary of the newspaper’s anniversary and will be available across the state in limited supply. It’s a Cascade-dominant pale ale, well suited to summer barbecues.
- Wimpy – The brewery has re-configured this hop bomb into a triple IPA, “full of dank, earthy and malty flavors.” 11.51% ABV, 250 IBU.
- Pilsener Pale Lager – Gluek’s is back, and in 16-ounce tallboy cans.
Granite City Brewery
- Blueberry Lager – On tap for a limited time.
HammerHeart Brewing Company
- Reva’s – IPA, 6.8% ABV.
- Smoked Wheat – Out today, a hazy Polish-style beer made using oak-smoked wheat malt. 5.2% ABV, 22 IBU.
Lagunitas Brewing Company
- Lagunator Lager – A dry-hopped California common with a strong malt character. 7.9% ABV and in 22-ounce bottles.
Lupine Brewing Company
- Smokey Pale Ale – Described as featuring “slight note of sweetness, finishing with a subtle smoky, dry finish” on the brewery’s website. 5.4% ABV, 42 IBU.
Milk & Honey Ciders
- Fauna – It’s a new cider made from a combination of tannic, sharp, and heirloom apple varieties. On tap and for sale in 4-packs.
- Samurai Karateguy – Here’s an IPA with Citra and Centennial hops from Somerset.
Roges Ales & Spirits
- Hot Tub Scholarship Lager – Rogue is releasing a new beer for funding a Fermentation Sciences scholarship at Oregon State University. It’s a helles lager available through September.
- The two-tone brewery from Durango, Colorado, quietly entered the Minnesota market with beers including Modus Hoperandi IPA, Modus Mandarina IPA (brewed with orange peels), Mexican Logger, and True Blonde Ale.
Spilled Grain Brewhouse
- SMaSH Series #4 – Pilsener malt and Mandarina Bavaria hops combine for this new release.
Tanzenwald Brewing Company
- Guns-A-Blazin – A Double IPA in Northfield with a nod to West Coast-style hop-heavy beers. 8.2% ABV, 75 IBU.
- Hitthebrix – A golden Belgian strong, described as having an aroma of banana, clove, apricot, and juicy fruit. 7.8% ABV, 27 IBU.
- Gottlieb Pilsner – Debuting Wednesday, this pilsner is 5.2% ABV, 39 IBU.
- Kilonova Dark Saison – Also released Wednesday. 5.9% ABV, 34 IBU
Town Hall Brewery
- Wheat Shine – Unfiltered pale wheat ale. 5.9% ABV.
Seasonal or rotating returns
- Walnut Joy – Their walnut stout returns.
- Como – American bitter with notes of citrus and stone fruit. 5% ABV, 50 IBU.
Dangerous Man Brewing
- Cherry Soul Delores
- Oatmeal Pale Ale
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Agredoux – A Farm Series beer from Lakes & Legends returns. It’s a brown kettle sour with local maple syrup. “This beer has a very light pucker to it, with a sweet and savory finish,” says the brewery. Available at Brunch-A-Palooza on June 3.
Beers just announced
- Beach, Don’t Kill My Vibe – One of many Lady Gaga-themed beers to be unveiled at the Pride Dabbler on June 23. This one is a version of Hidden Beach IPA with Cuties Oranges.
Able Seedhouse + Brewery
- Joose Dance – For Pride Dabbler on June 23, Able will share a tropical American sour with Azacca hops.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Grapefruit Radler – A beer cocktail from their housemade grapefruit soda and Migration blonde ale for GetKnit’s Brunch-A-Palooza on June 3 at Upper Landing Park in St. Paul.
- Pucker Face – Another Pride Dabbler beer, this one is a sour raspberry wheat. Available June 23.
Badger Hill Brewing
- It’s Tangerine-Yo – Traitor IPA infused with blood orange for Brunch-A-Palooza.
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- Melon Reasons – Not yet open in St. Paul, Barrel Theory will be pouring a special Strawberry Watermelon Berliner at Pride Dabbler.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- Blood Orange Wonderstuff – This orange-infused version of Wonderstuff is coming to Brunch-A-Palooza.
Beaver Island Brewing – The St. Cloud brewery canned its first run of beers this week, which will begin hitting stores on June 6. Beers include:
- Ripple – A German-inspired ale with a golden color, cracker-like malt profile, and floral/spicy German hops from St. Cloud’s sister city, Spalt, Germany. 4.5% ABV, 24 IBU.
- ’39 Red IPA – The name ’39 pays tribute to St. Cloud’s rich brewing tradition. Scottish and Belgian malts contribute to a slight roast/dark fruit canvas for broad sweeps of Pacific Northwest hops to provide this ale with a firm bitterness as well as citrus flavors and aromas. 6% ABV, 68 IBU.
- Sweet Mississippi – Brewed with a blend of the UK’s finest malts, flaked oats, milk sugar, and Fair Trade cacao nibs from Ecuador. 6.5% ABV, 27.5 IBU.
Bent Paddle Brewing
- Hopmosa IPA – A golden IPA with floral and citrus aromatics, infused with orange zest for the Brunch-A-Palooza crowd on June 3.
- Tea Time Blonde – Coming in June, Pizza Luce will exclusively sell this beer from Bent Paddle. “We’ve infused our Paddle Break Blonde with Tea Leaves and Lemon Zest to go alongside their newest pizza creation,” says the brewery, noting it has similarities to an Arnold Palmer.
Birch’s on the Lake
- Toasted Coconut Porter – Coming to the brewpub this June.
- Makrut what you want Wit Poblany – Another Gaga beer for Dabbler, featuring Makru lime leaf and peppers.
Broken Clock Brewing
- Stand Up Stout – 6.2% ABV, 32 IBU.
Castle Danger Brewing Company
- Orange Cream Ale – The brewery calls this Brunch-A-Palooza creation slightly sweet, smooth and soft.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Grapefruit-Infused Cromulence – Fair State embiggens Cromulence for Brunch-A-Palooza.
- Baby You’ll Be Famous – New England Gaga IPA for Pride Dabbler.
- Cashmere – A West Coast-style IPA coming next week. 6.5% ABV, 40 IBU.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Waffle Loral – Take the Derailed Loral and add granola, maple syrup and stawberries. Available at Brunch-A-Palooza.
- Summerboy Shenanigans – Arnold Palmer Shenangians with Citrus Zest.
- Bloody Famous IPA – Dankbot does the blood orange infusion for Pride Dabbler.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Shake-O-Matic Grapefruit – Coming soon from Moorhead.
Lake Monster Brewing
- Bootstrap Coffee Stout – Lake Monster collaborates with Bootstrap Coffee Roasters for a “rich, creamy stout with a kick.”
- Summer sour Ale-ajandro – Berliner Weiss w/ Hibiscus brewed for Pride Dabbler.
Lift Bridge Brewing Company
- Tart Peach Farm Girl – Farm Girl aged with natural peach and lactic acid, available at Brunch-A-Palooza.
- I wanna fu*k Government Hooker – A mixed culture blonde aged with fruit for Pride Dabbler.
- Cherry Cherry, Boom Boom – A fruity offering from Mankato this for Pride Dabbler.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Double Shot First Call – Extra Espresso in this Brunch-A-Palooza offering from Modist.
- Mother Monster – For Pride Dabbler, a single barrel-aged barley wine.
OMNI Brewing – The Maple Grove brewery announced its three most popular beers will be distributed in cans starting June 1 to liquor stores in Maple Grove and Plymouth, expanding soon thereafter to the rest of the Northwest Metro area. The beers include:
- Lake Day Citra Ale – A sessionable ale brewed with exclusively Citra hops. 4.9% ABV, 30 IBU.
- Hopfull IPA – An IPA with earthy, citrusy, and piney hop aromas. 6% ABV, 80 IBU
- Muddy Runner Coconut Porter – Toasted coconut in the fermenter gives this light-bodied porter a coconut nose and finish. 5.8% ABV, 25 IBU
Rock Bottom Brewery
- Naked Otter – A special IPA for Pride Dabbler.
Sociable Cider Werks
Firkinpalooza is coming to Sociable Cider Werks taproom on June 6. The following firkins will be available for one day only:
- Pear with Lavender Freewheeler
- Vic Secret Hopped Cider
- Key Lime with Black Berry Honey Freewheeler
- Passion Fruit Freewheeler
- Rosemary Road Rash
- Goji Berry with Raspberry Freewheeler
- Star Fruit Berliner Weisse Apple
- New Zealand Pear with Pomegranate Freewheeler
- Apricot with Peach Freewheeler
- Candy Gingered Aronia Berry Cider
Sociable Cider Werks is also participating in Brunch-A-Palooza:
- Grapefruit Freewheeler with Fresh Mint – “More mouth feel, more bright acidity, and more effervescence than most cider,” says Sociable about this Brunch-A-Palooza concoction.
Spilled Grain Brewhouse
- Lake Sylvia Strawberry American Wheat – The latest in Spilled Grain’s Lake Series was brewed with 100 pounds of fresh strawberry puree and carries a light fruit aroma and flavor. Available now at the taproom and to-go in Crowlers and growlers.
Summit Brewing Company
- Golden Ale Beermosa – Orange juice blended with beer, with notes of lemon zest, grapefruit and mango. Available at Brunch-A-Palooza.
Surly Brewing Company
- Darkness – This year’s version of Surly’s fan-favorite Russian imperial stout will debut at Darkness Day on Oct. 21 at Surly’s Brooklyn Center location. See the bottle art and get more info here.
- Fiery Hell – Surly’s Helles, aged on red oak and infused with peppers. Available at Brunch-A-Palooza on June 3.
- Eleven – Has it already been 11 years? Surly calls this one “A blend between a Belgian quad and a German wheat beer (the latter fermented with 100 percent Brettanomyces).” Available starting June 5 in 750-milliliter bottles.
- Extra Hot Spice Boyz – Surly’s Lady Gaga-style beer for the Pride Dabbler is an “Extra Hot” version of their 2017 Sierra Nevada Beer Camp beer, a lager infused with cayenne and ginger, and aged on wood.
- Bash Action Cream Ale – A one-off cream ale for the annual Grumpy’s Bash anniversary concert in their downtown parking lot on July 22.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Wheatstone Bridge Marmalade – Tin Whiskers wheat beer with additional sweet orange for Brunch-A-Palooza.
- Watts Wheat Wine – Tin Whiskers third anniversary beer, out on June 10 as part of their We Are Three anniversary celebration.
- Phase Shift 01: Tequila Barrel Aged Watts Wheat Wine – The 2017 version of this beer will be available in 750-milliliter bottles and on tap at noon on June 10 (along with a very limited number of the 2016 version).
Urban Growler Brewing Company
- Cinnamon Roll Porter – “The perfect bun in a glass,” proclaims GetKnit, who are hosting Brunch-A-Palooza.
Wabasha Brewing Company
- Blueberry Implosion IPA – A one-off IPA with hints of blueberry and citrus for Brunch-A-Palooza.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Mo’Summa Raspberry Blonde – Coming on June 2.
- Single Hop IPA with Nelson Sauvin – Currently in the fermenter at Waconia Brewing.
Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.