With forecasted highs in the 70s and 80s for the next week, Summit Brewing couldn’t have picked a better time to release the second beer in their 30th Anniversary Series: Keller Pils.
According to Summit, the beer seeks to highlight the unique flavor characteristics associated with a classic German pilsner malt, while recognizing the contributions to craft brewing and support for Summit from a celebrated German craft maltster. Combining that classic pilsner malt with traditional and modern German hop varieties in Summit’s copper brewhouse has allowed its brewers to produce the German-style pilsner, which is unfiltered as is traditional for the style.
Part of the goal of the 30th Anniversary Series is to highlight the partnerships that have developed into great friendships with suppliers, distributors, retailers, and customers over the three decades Summit has been in business.
For the Barke malt in the 5.1% ABV, 38 IBU Keller Pils, Summit turned to the Weyermann Specialty Malting Company, located in Bamberg, Germany, which has been supplying Summit with specialty malts for many years. Although superseded by more modern, higher-yielding cultivars, Barke contributes malty-sweet and honey undertones, and is particularly sought after as a base for classical pilsners.
The Barke malt combines with the noble hop variety of Tettnang from Minnesota-based Brewers Supply Group, and a late addition of the recently-developed Hallertau Melon hop variety from Germany’s S.S. Steiner for a hint of citrus in the flavor and aroma.
Oregon’s Wyeast Laboratories sourced a traditional private collection Munich lager yeast strain for the beer, the final element required to create the classical German pils.
Launch events for the beer begin tonight at The Happy Gnome and continue into June around the metro:
- The Happy Gnome – 4pm, Wednesday, May 18: Happy hour featuring the Brewers Association Top 50 Craft Breweries
- The Bulldog (Uptown) – 5–9pm, Thursday, May 19: Release party with $3 Summits, 7pm toast with Summit head brewer Damian McConn for American Craft Beer Week
- Keegan’s Irish Pub – 4pm, Friday, May 20: Meet Summit head brewer Damian McConn
- Hops for Cops at Boom Island – 2pm–5pm, Sunday, May 22: Fundraiser for Minneapolis Mounted Police in collaboration with Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse
- Elwoods – 5pm, Thursday, May 26 – Try Keller Pils at Elwoods.
- Hop 21 – 7pm, Thursday, June 2: Ping pong tournament featuring $5 Summit pints
- Mission American Kitchen & Bar – 4pm, Thursday, June 16 – Try Keller Pils at Mission.
- Summit Beer Hall – 4pm–8pm Thursdays, 4pm–10pm Fridays, 12pm–10pm Saturdays:
- Thursday, May 19: Color + Craft
- Friday, May 20: Cantus Vocal Ensemble Spotlight
- Thursday, May 26: Beer Tie: An Evening of Beer and Fly Tying
- Friday, May 27: Trivia Night with Trivia Mafia