Summit Brewing Company’s 20th beer in its Unchained Series will be Sticke Alt, a Düsselfdorf Style Ale.
Sticke Alt beer is maltier and hoppier than traditional Altbier, and is commonly offered in secret in Düsselfdorf, Germany. The recipes for such beers are also kept secret, meaning no two Sticke Alt beers are ever brewed the same way twice.
Brewer Mike Lundell’s version has a light hoppy nose, a solid malt backbone, and a slightly sweet, but crisp and mellow finish. The beer was inspired by Summit’s popular Altbier from years back, but is quite different–stronger and darker than traditional Alt beers thanks to the German hops, Czech and German malts, and authentic Alt yeast strain. Its clean finish is thanks to a fermenting temperature that’s lower and longer than an English ale.
Sticke Alt Info
- Malts: Pilsener, Vienna, Light Munich, Dark Munich, Caramel, Black
- Hops: Hallertau, Mittelfruh
- ABV: 6.3%
- IBU: 55
- Color: Reddish Brown (24 degrees Lovibond)
- Yeast: German Ale
- Pairing Suggestions: Hearty German fare: pickled herring on rye bread, pig’s knuckle with potato salad, rolls with aged cheese and blood sausage, bratwurst and sauerkraut
- Availability: On draught and in 12-ounce 6-bottle packs beginning the second week of October
Sticke Alt Release Events
Saturday, October 17
Summit Beer Hall Altoberfest
910 Montreal Circle, St. Paul
Games, snacks, Brass Parn Polka band, food from Black Forest Inn, lederhosen and dirndl costume contest, Kubb league, and Sticke Alt
Meet the Brewer:
Wednesday, October 14
The Muddy Pig
162 Dale St N, St. Paul
Learn more about the beer at Summit Brewing