Salad en Escabeche
- 5 zucchini or summer squash
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced on bias
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced lengthwise on mandoline
- 1 bunch green onions, white part thinly sliced
- 1 head of garlic, cloves sliced
- ¼ cup fresh oregano, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint, julienned
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 cup sherry vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
For the vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients into a bowl and whisk, season with salt and pepper. Make sure to whisk again right before pouring over vegetables.
For the zucchini: Cut zucchini into half-inch rounds and season on one side with salt. Let sit at room temp for 1 hour, then rinse off the salt and pat dry. In a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, char the salted side of the zucchini until it is slightly burnt. Remove and let cool. Once zucchini is cool, place in a hot smoker for 20 minutes, remove and let sit for 20 minutes.
To finish: Toss zucchini with the remainder of the vegetables and mix well. Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables. Taste for salt and add it if you think it needs more. Let the salad sit for 1 hour before serving, making sure to mix it every 10 minutes. Serve with pork shoulder tacos.
Pages: 1 2