Leave it to Sierra Nevada to start a movement in craft beer. The brewery was a major factor in the U.S. craft beer resurgence in the 1980s when there were just eight craft breweries in the country and an aggressively hopped pale ale (by 1980s standards), like Sierra Nevada’s flagship, was a rarity. Now, Sierra Nevada is inviting the nation’s 2,700+ craft breweries to join them on a seven-city beer festival touring the country this summer. Beer Camp Across America is a celebration for the entire craft beer community, bringing together brewers and the fans who have buoyed their success.
“We’re about to open a second brewery in North Carolina, and while that’s exciting for us, it’s an even greater reason to celebrate the future of craft brewers everywhere,” explained Ken Grossman, Sierra Nevada’s founder. “We’ve watched and learned from each other for decades, and together we’ve seen tastes change and craft’s momentum snowball. Beer Camp Across America is our way of reflecting on this—with thousands of brewers, fans and great beers. It should be pretty fun.”
Beer Camp Across America will travel from West Coast to East Coast stopping in cities with thriving craft beer scenes to showcase the local and regional breweries and celebrate the craft beer culture. Along the way, each festival stop will feature up to two beers per brewery, food vendors, and live music by the MarchFourth Marching Band spectacle. The tour is also a celebration of Sierra Nevada’s past and future, as it begins at the Chico, California brewery and ends in Mills River, North Carolina for the grand opening of the company’s new East Coast brewery.
The tour schedule begins this July and stretches until August 3rd:
- Sat, July 19th: Northwest Edition at Sierra Nevada Hop Field in Chico, CA, 12-5 p.m.
- Sun, July 20th: Southwest Edition at Embarcadero North in San Diego, CA, 1-6 p.m.
- Fri, July 25th: Rocky Mountain Edition at Sculpture Park in Denver, CO, 5-10 p.m.
- Sun, July 27th: Midwest Edition at Navy Pier in Chicago, IL, 12-5 p.m.
- Fri, August 1st: New England Edition at Thompson Point in Portland, ME, 5-10 p.m.
- Sat, August 2nd: Mid-Atlantic Edition at Penn Treaty Park in Philadelphia, PA, 12-5 p.m.
- Sun, August 3rd: Southeast Edition in Mills River, NC, 1-6 p.m.
Tickets are now on sale at www.SierraNevada.com/
Beer Camp Across America is dedicating to strengthening the craft beer communities hosting each festival with a portion of the proceeds from each festival going to the state brewers guilds in the host states and to hop and barley research to foster the development of new types of hop varieties and barley crops to fuel the pursuit of new flavor experiences for the ever-expanding tastes of craft drinkers.
In conjunction with the festivals and to celebrate the collaborative spirit of the craft beer community, Sierra Nevada has partnered with a dozen exceptional craft breweries to create 12 different beers for one mixed 12-pack—including 10 bottles and two cans—another first in the craft beer world. The 12 breweries, selected for their innovation and reputation for brewing world-class beers, that are featured in the 12-pack are:
- Allagash Brewing Co, Portland, ME (Myron’s Walk Belgian-Style Pale Ale)
- Asheville Brewers Alliance, Asheville, NC (Tater Ridge Scottish Ale)
- Ballast Point Brewing Co, San Diego, CA (Electric Ray India Pale Lager)
- Bell’s Brewery, Kalamazoo, MI (Maillard’s Odyssey Imperial Dark Ale)
- Cigar City Brewing, Tampa, FL (Yonder Bock Tropical Maibock)
- Firestone Walker Brewing Co, Paso Robles, CA (Torpedo Pilsner)
- New Glarus Brewing Co, New Glarus, WI (There and Back English-Style Bitter)
- Ninkasi Brewing Co, Eugene, OR (Double Latte Coffee milk Stout)
- Oskar Blues Brewing Co, Longmont, CO & Brevard, NC (CANfusion Rye Bock)
- Russian River Brewing Co, Santa Rosa, CA (Yvan the Great Belgian-Style Blonde)
- Three Floyds Brewing, Munster, IN (Chico King Pale Ale)
- Victory Brewing Co, Downingtown, PA (Alt Route Altbier)
The Beer Camp Across America 12-pack will be available throughout the U.S. this summer, and the dozen brewing partners will join selective legs of the festival tour. Watch this video to learn more about the collaborative 12-pack project.