Up From Slavery: How early settler James Thompson became a pillar of St. Paul

In 1849, James Thompson, a citizen of St. Paul, donated the lumber and shingles necessary to construct the city’s first Methodist church. The small brick structure, erected on Market Street, near Rice Park—then little more than a cow pasture—symbolized the stability and sobriety that residents hoped would someday flourish in their community, the newly designated … [ Read more]

DAILY PHOTO FROM THE ARCHIVE

Love this photo? Purchase a print and support The Growler. Visit growlermag.com/photo-archive view photos available for purchase, sizing, and pricing.