With over 175 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
The Twins kick off a playoff series against the Yankees tonight, and the week fittingly started with the release of a Twins-related new beer: Gladden Farm IPA at Unmapped, a fresh hop beer made with hops grown on a farm owned by World Series legend and current radio broadcaster Dan Gladden. In fact, several fresh hop ales hit local taps this week and more will come soon.
There are also phantoms of Halloween beers in the news, and roasty, chocolate flavors of malt-forward porters beginning to popular liquor store shelves throughout the region. There are a lot of new beers this week, debuting everywhere from Rochester to Moorhead, Madalia to Robbinsdale and more.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Bent Paddle DüsselDirk 2.0
This altbier to raise funds for the Duluth Superior Symphony Orchestra is back on tap now.
Eastlake Ancient Psychic Tandem War Elephant
“A smoked sea salt sour gose brewed with guajillo chiles and cacao nibs,” the brewery says. “This subtle sour combines gentle spiciness and complex flavors from mingling dried peppers and cacao that pairs brilliantly with the bright brininess of the gose base.” It will be featured at a release party at Sea Salt Eatery in Minnehaha Park on October 6, also tapping at the brewery and to be sold at select liquor stores.
Invictus Kilted Pig
This smoked Scotch ale will tap at the seventh-anniversary party of Smokey’s in East Bethel on Saturday, October 5. It will also be served at the Blaine brewery’s taproom.
Schell’s Fort Road Porter
This porter is defined by chocolate and caramel notes that complement the roasted malt base. A cold-weather companion for Fort Road Helles.
Unmapped Gladden Farm IPA
An annual wet hop beer from Unmapped tapped on Monday, September 30, using hops from the farm of former Twins left fielder Dan Gladden.
New beers available this week (September 30–October 6)
- Brown Out Stout – A non barrel-aged version of the brewery’s stout collaboration with Sisyphus.
- PB Moose Nuts
Ashby Brewing Company
- Kolsch – Tapped last weekend at the brewery.
- Porter – Tapped last weekend at the brewery.
Avery Brewing Co.
- Mephistopheles’ Stout – A 14.5% ABV stout, available in select stores now, described as “A tangled and intricate labyrinth of bittersweet rapture.”
- Pacer IPA – A low calorie, low carb, dry-hopped session IPA. Pouring at 4.5% ABV, 100 calories, and 3.5 carbs, this hazy IPA was made with oats for extra body, plus southern hemisphere hops.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Saturation – A wet hop IPA made with Julius hops grown by Mighty Axe. Available today.
- Ümläüt – Tapped last weekend, this is a Kölsch-inspired ale with Mighty Axe-grown hops.
Beaver Island Brewing Co.
- Coffee & Vanilla Sweet Miss – Previously only available on draft, this beer is in cans for the first time as part of the Sweet Miss Variety Pack, along with original Sweet Miss, and a Peanut Butter variant.
- Peanut Butter Sweet Miss – Previously released for a 2018 Halloween party, this beer is in cans for the first time as part of the Sweet Miss Variety Pack, along with original Sweet Miss, and a Coffee & Vanilla variant.
- Oh Captain! My Captain! – The third of seven new beers in a series inspired by the work of Walt Whitman, titled Leaves of Grass. Available in 6-packs of 12-ounce bottles and on draft.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Blackberry Roof Rack – October’s Infusion Series release takes Roof Rack Vienna-style lager and adds seasonal blackberries. Only available on draft.
- DüsselDirk 2.0 – Top Flight entry
Big Axe Brewing
- Guavatron – A strawberry and guava lactose IPA.
Boulevard Brewing Co.
- 30th Anniversary Ale – A blend of several barrel-aged beers to capture both wine and Belgian ale elements. 12% ABV, 25 IBU.
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
It’s the championship round in the Brewer’s Roundtable Series, which pits single malt, single hop ales against one another with fans voting on their favorites. Both finalists are available today, meant to be sampled side-by-side:
- Pacifica – These hops feature “flavors and aromas of apricot, plum, mango, pear, and other stone fruits,” according to Broken Clock.
- El Dorado – “Featuring tropical fruit flavors, watermelon, pear, candy and stone fruit,” the brewery explains. 6.4% ABV, 42 IBU.
- Fade To Black IPA – A 7.6% ABV, 86 IBU black IPA with heavy hop character such as citrus and pine, but also a malty backbone with notes of chocolate and caramel at the finish, the brewery says. Available at Clocktoberfest this Saturday.
Clown Shoes Beer
- Pecan Pie Porter – A fall seasonal, out now.
Clutch Brewing Company
- 1900 – A 5.1% ABV schwarzbier with smooth roast notes, a hint of coffee and chocolate, and a light body with a clean finish, the brewery says. 5.1% ABV.
- Can I Kick It? – Available in bottles in limited supply, this one-year anniversary beer is a smoked red ale that was aged in Heaven Hill whiskey barrels for six months.
Copper Trail Brewing Co.
- Copper Scotty – A wee heavy with caramel sweetness and earth roast flavors. 8.1% ABV, 24 IBU.
- PRRRTs These Days – Made with Sour Patch Kids candy, this beer has lemon, lime, orange, raspberry, pink guava, and sea salt, the brewery says. 5% ABV and sold in 4-packs.
Eastlake Craft Brewery
- Ancient Psychic Tandem War Elephant – Top Flight entry
Firestone Walker Brewing Company
- Molé Merkin – A new beer aged in bourbon barrels with chili peppers, cocoa nibs, and cinnamon.
- Proper Porter – Once brewed exclusively for Holidazzle, this porter is not available in bottles.
- Bräu Bräu Bräu – The 6.4% ABV festbier returns at Giesenbräu Oktoberfest this Saturday.
- Oktoberfest – Tapping at a brewery party on October 5.
Goat Ridge Brewing Company
- Mad Goat Märzen Beer – To tap at the brewery’s October 5 Oktoberfest party.
- Dreamsicle – A variation of Dreamshake milkshake IPA with extra orange. 6.8% ABV.
- Hefeweizen – “This traditional style is wheat focused with a light, hazy body. Balanced phenolic flavors add sweetness and earthiness,” the brewery says. 4.7% ABV
Indeed Brewing Company
- Chai Velvet – A silky smooth 7.2% ABV amber with chai spices and lactose for a creamy finish, Indeed says. Available in 4-packs and draft.
- Kilted Pig – Top Flight entry
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Brewstand Boogie
- IBU UBME
- Saturday Things
- Too Many Nicknames
Kinney Creek Brewery
- Blue Healer – An agave wheat beer brewed in collaboration with the in-progress PawPrint Brewery of Chatfield.
- Med City Seltzer – Kinney Creek entered the hard seltzer scene this week with a seltzer bar with a dozen flavor options including lime and spicy pineapple.
La Doña Cervecería
- Oktubrefest – “Our Oktubrefest beer recognizes German contributions to Latinx culture by combining German hops, German malt, Mexican lager yeast, and flaked rye,” the brewery says.
Little Thistle Brewery
- Graburschnitzel – An Oktoberfest beer with rich caramel and bread crust maltiness, the brewery says. 5.8% ABV, 18 IBU.
- Helles Yeah – “This pale lager features a cracker and tortilla chip grainy aroma with a hint of citrus and a kiss of herbal notes from the use of Saaz hops. Fermented with Norwegian kveik yeast, a unique interpretation of a traditional style,” the brewery says. A collaboration with Dangerous Man. 4.9% ABV, 17 IBU.
- Med City Beet – A kettle sour made with fresh beet juice and ginger. “Pouring a rich garnet color, this unique beer features a bright beet, ginger, and earthy aroma. Finishes crisp and dry,” the brewery says. 4.7% ABV, 3 IBU.
Lost Sanity Brewing
- Ulterior Motive – A pilot system homebrew altbier recipe that tapped last weekend. 4.1% ABV, 38 IBU. “Deep copper colored session-able beer with additions of traditional spicy german hops creating a light and floral bouquet to compliment its bready malt profile,” Lost Sanity says.
- Crazed Cottonwood – Debuting this Saturday, this is a fresh-hopped ale brewed with locally grown Cascade, Centennial, and Chinook hops.
LTD Brewing Co.
- Oktoberfest – A 6.3% ABV Märzen-style lager.
- Sleepwalker – A triple IPA.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Sexy Hops – A 5.8% ABV single hop, single malt hazy pale ale featuring Sultana hops.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Bite Size – This 6.7% ABV pastry stout made with cacao nibs and vanilla beans tapped last weekend.
Rapids Brewing Co.
A new brewpub opened in Grand Rapids in August. Beer options include:
- Brown Boot Brown Ale
- Chili Willy Scotch Ale
- Hoky Saaz Wet Hop Pale Ale
- Jam IPA
- Mango Mama IPA
- Noble Pilsner
- River Pig Red Ale
- Oat and a Boat Stout
- Stand Up Pale Ale
- Vanilla Bean Cream Ale
- Fort Road Porter – Top Flight entry
Steel Toe Brewing
- Mighty Fresh IPA – A wet hop IPA made with USDA 074 hops grown by Mighty Axe.
Surly Brewing Company
- Yummi Bear – A new West Coast-style IPA.
Talking Waters Brewing Co.
- Wavelength – This new sour IPA was brewed with wheat, oats, and lactose. The Amarillo, Azacca, and Mosaic hops give juicy citrus and tropical flavors complemented by a tart sour. 6% ABV.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Barrel-Aged Schottky Pumpkin – This limited batch of pumpkin ale spent a year in whiskey barrels. On tap today at the brewery.
- Parsec Porter – A porter with notes of chocolate, roast, and nuts.
Town Hall Brewery
- Oktoberfest Märzen – A smooth lager with toasted bread notes and a smooth cotton candy finish, the brewery says, with candied caramel on the nose. 6.7% ABV.
- Petunia’s Pumpkin Ale – A malt-forward ale with nutty flavors and pumpkin pie spice, named in honor of a former employee who survived a battle with lymphoma. 5.4% ABV.
Unmapped Brewing Co.
- Gladden Farm IPA – Top Flight entry
Venn Brewing Company
- Batch #236 Pineapple Dreamsicle – This is a 7.2% ABV golden ale made with real pineapple and vanilla.
- Batch #237 Mounds Bar Porter – A new 8.2% ABV, 30 IBU porter made with real coconut and chocolate that the brewery made in honor of Mounds candy bar.
- Batch #238 Scottish Export – This traditional beer is back on tap. Featuring biscuit, caramel, and toast flavors it pours at 5.2% ABV, 20 IBU.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Munich Dunkel
Wicked Wort Brewing Co.
- Citron Saison Kettle Sour – “Late kettle additions of coriander and lemon peel accentuate saison yeast character. These flavors in turn complement the tart kettle sour base,” the brewery says. 4.5% ABV, 20 IBU.
- Far, Far Away Galaxy IPA – As its name implies, this IPA made with Galaxy hops is described as “soft, juicy, and smooth,” with mango, passionfruit, and citrus character. 6.4% ABV, 44 IBU.
- Oktoberfest – The featured beer at the brewery at this Saturday’s fall party, this Bavarian-style Märzen offers malt-forward notes of toast and bread, plus light spice and floral hop characteristics. 6.3% ABV, 28 IBU.
- Ol’ Bessie – An 8% ABV, 30 IBU double chocolate stout that returned to the taps last week.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Festival of Oak 2019 – Featured at the namesake event on Saturday, October 5, this beer pours a vibrant pink and was conditioned on more than two pounds of dragonfruit and passionfruit per gallon. “The passionfruit adds tropical notes and a layer of acidity while the dragon fruit provides the beer with its gorgeous pink hue, along with notes of melon and strawberry to complement the golden sour base,” Wild Mind says.
- La Reine – “This sour began with a blend of one- and two-year-old golden sour that was conditioned on raspberry, blackberry, boysenberry, and rhubarb for six weeks,” Wild Mind says, it’s “packed with ripe and rich berry notes that balance out the funk and acidity of the base blend.” Available on Saturday at Festival of Oak.
- Pash Bash – An acidic, pink blended sour is made with dragonfruit and passionfruit for tropical notes, melon, and strawberry.
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Hop Phantom – A new juicy IPA made with Galaxy and Mosaic hops. 5.4% ABV. On tap and in Crowlers now.
Beers just announced
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Raspberry Anomaly – A raspberry kettle sour that makes its can debut next week. Also available on draft.
Castle Danger Brewery
- Mosaic Fresh Hop Ale – Returning on Monday, October 7.
Clown Shoes Beer
- Banshee and the Beast – A blend of Blaecorn Unidragon aged in bourbon barrels and an imperial stout aged in Irish Whiskey barrels. Coming soon, the Massachusetts brewery says.
Copper Trail Brewing Co.
- Indigo Wheat – “This blueberry wheat isn’t overpowering with honey malt adding a sweet backnote and the red wheat creating a fun depth to the beer,” the brewery says. 5.5% ABV, 17 IBU. Coming this month.
- Lucky Red – A 5.8% ABV, 20 IBU Irish red ale with toasty caramel aromas and a semi-dry finish, the brewery says.
- Wet N’ Wild – An 8% ABV, 88 IBU wet hop double IPA with grassy and lemon flavors that are accented by the addition of lemon zest added late in the boil.
Great Lakes Brewing Co.
- Ohio City Oatmeal Stout – A 5.4% ABV, 25 IBU oatmeal stout with a smooth and creamy texture.
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
Lakes & Legends will host Harvest Fest on October 12, featuring several beers made with Minnesota-grown ingredients:
- 5-Weight Cream Ale
- Lemongrass Grisette
- Maple Stout – Made with maple syrup from Somerskogen Sugarbush, who will also be selling syrup at the festival.
- Swing Set Strawberry Rhubarb Kettle Sour
- Two Ravens Red Ale
Surly Brewing Company
- Belgian Horseman – This special beer was made in collaboration with musician King Diamond and debuts on Halloween in cans and on draft. A Danish-style black lager, the beer will be sold at venues within Surly’s distribution, including a concert at Palace Theater on November 19. 6% ABV.
- Salted Dark Chocolate Funeral Bar Stout – A new Funeral Bar series pastry stout is coming next week.
Town Hall Brewery
- Dry Hopped Pilsner – A crisp, clean Pilsner that was dry-hopped using Centennial hops to create a classic Pilsner with an American hop touch. 5% ABV and available next Monday, October 7.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.