With over 175 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
We can’t pick just one beer party to highlight this week—anniversary celebrations and Oktoberfest parties are plentiful both right now and in coming weeks. Shakopee Brewhall released four new beers this week, while Birch’s On The Lake and Northbound opted to spread out their anniversary celebrations for the whole month. Meanwhile, special beers are on the horizon for similarly-minded parties at OMNI and Fair State.
There are lots of Märzen options this weekend, including oaked variations at Finnegans (who are throwing Finntoberfest this Saturday) and an oak-lagered take at Wild Mind. Belgian-inspired beers are also popular among the newly tapped offerings this week, including traditional takes, those that are dry-hopped, and American twists such as Silvius at Boom Island and Alpha Nimbus at Town Hall.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Insight Colossal Catfish
This is a new 6% ABV hazy IPA made with a cocktail of Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe, and Amarillo hops.
Junkyard Spanish Laser Boots
A sangria-inspired sour.
Pantown Apple Crisp Ale
A limited release made with fresh apple and cinnamon flavor, just like the dessert.
Tilion Olde Sogn
A pumpkin ale, tapped last week.
Utepils KFAN Unfiltered Blonde Ale
New beers available this week (September 9–September 15)
22 Northmen Brewing Company
- Oktoberfest – To tap at Carlos Creek Winery’s annual Grape Stomp on the weekend of September 13–15.
- Raspberry Berliner – A Berliner weisse beer made with raspberry. Available in cans.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Dunkelweizen – “The Alloy Dunkelweizen is a darker version of a traditional southern German wheat beer,” the brewery says. “This beer is incredibly smooth in flavor and finishes with a hint of banana and clove.” 4.5% ABV, 10 IBU.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Wry Lager – A dry, crisp red rye lager that tapped September 6. Brewed in collaboration with One Fermentary & Taproom, this beer offers toasted malt, spicy and fruity rye notes, and floral hops.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Raspberry Wilderness Tuxedo – An American kettle sour. On tap at the brewery today and in cans at area liquor stores next Monday, September 16.
- Roof Rack – The Vienna lager is on tap at the brewery now.
Birch’s On The Lake
- Hazy Double IPA – The first of four special anniversary beers coming before the end of September in celebration of the brewpub’s fourth anniversary. On tap now, this 9.0% ABV double IPA was made with oats, wheat, and Mosaic and Denali hops.
Boathouse Brothers Brewing
- Dunkel – Tapped this week.
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Silvius – The Belgian-style pale ale returns to the brewery today. “Silvius combines light hop bitterness and a toasted malt backbone with delicate peppery spiciness. It finishes medium to dry, with a hint of malt flavor returning for an encore,” the brewery says. 5.5% ABV, 29 IBU.
Boulevard Brewing Co.
- Centennial IPA – One of two Tasting Room beers in a new Sample Twelve pack.
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown Ale – One of two Tasting Room beers in a new Sample Twelve pack.
Canal Park Brewing Company
- Click Drag Kolsch – “A clean, light, and delicately balanced beer that pairs perfectly with Alakef’s smooth, single-origin Colombia coffee,” the brewery says.
Castle Danger Brewery
- Maple Märzen – An annual release that blends traditional German malts and hops with local maple syrup. The sweet maple and malts lead the flavor, while German Noble hops add spice and balance, the brewery says.
Clutch Brewing Company
- Bellatrix BlackBerry Peach Sour – Tapped last week at the St. Paul brewery.
- Noktoberfest – A Märzen lager brewed with cherrywood smoked malt, offering bread and toasty notes along with floral aromatics. Tapped on Thursday, September 12.
Copper Trail Brewing Co.
- Hopshake – This Friday the 13th tapping is a milkshake IPA with orange, grapefruit, and lemon on the nose with a thick sugar, lactose sweetness, and subtle vanilla, the brewery says. 6.7% ABV, 88 IBU.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Key Lime Colada Pale Ale – A 5.5% ABV pale ale with key lime and coconut flavors complemented by notes of pineapple and orange, the brewery says.
Drastic Measures Brewing
- Flappin’ Gums – An 8.2% ABV hazy double IPA that tapped last Friday, featuring marmalade, peach, and stone fruit flavors.
- Older Berry Sweeter Juice – A collaboration with Back Channel, this is a 9.2% ABV Belgian-style tripel that was refermented with sauvignon blanc grape juice.
- Braaaaaaaains: Oops! All Berries! – This is a double fruit version of Brain Squeeze made with twice the blueberry, blackberry, strawberry, and raspberry.
Dual Citizen Brewing Co.
- Dewey – A 4.5% ABV, 5 IBU peach kettle sour that also includes dehydrated grapefruit and hibiscus flower. “Light bodied with medium carbonation. Dry citrus and a mild botanical bitterness greet the tongue, unfolding into a complex blend of fruit, flower, and earth before concluding to a pleasant balance of tartness and sweet peach nectar with a crisp finish,” the brewery says.
- Mt. Curve – Tapping today, this is an 8% ABV, 20 IBU mango farmhouse ale.
- Raymond – Also available today, this is a Märzen lager that pours at 7% ABV, 25 IBU with a malt-forward profile complemented by noble hop bitterness and notes of black lager.
- TnT – A brut IPA brewed with Tapes ‘N Tapes for the Blocktoberfest party this Saturday. This beer is 5.5% ABV, 5 IBU and features Comet and Cascade hops.
- Chai Cider – Available today, this is a traditional cider with a blend of chai spices.
- A Simpler Time – This is a filtered, no-haze pale ale that tapped at the brewery this week.
Excelsior Brewing Co.
- Docktoberfest – This seasonal beer returned on September 11.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Plant Based – A vegan-friendly fruit smoothie ale. Available September 12.
Fargo Brewing Company
- ALES for ALS – This charitable beer is made with the unique Ales of ALS hop blend and is a West Coast-style IPA. Available September 13.
Finnegans Brewing Company
For Finntoberfest this Saturday, Finnegans will tap the following:
- Buck-O-Five – A dry-hopped pale lager, “This beer reeks of fresh wine grapes, gooseberry, pineapple and lemongrass,” the brewery says. A collaboration with Invictus, 6.1% ABV.
- Hop Comb – A malt-forward honey double IPA that the brewery describes as “dry with sweet honey character, and aromas of melon, kiwi, and citrus.” 8.6% ABV, 75 IBU.
- Oakedtoberfest – Finnegans’ Oktoberfest lager barrel-aged in Minnesota white oak for added oak and caramel character. 6.5% ABV.
Currently available at the brewery:
- Huell Melon Helles – A German-style lager with strawberry, melon, biscuit, and grassy notes, dry-hopped with Huell Melon. 5.1% ABV
- Oktoberfest – “A rich malty lager brewed with noble German and Czech hops full of floral aroma,” Finnegans says. 5.3% ABV.
- Legitimate Hustle – A medium-body pale ale with malt presence and a blend of five hops for notes of citrus, pine, floral and tropical flavors. 5.8% ABV, 44 IBU.
- Base Camp – A barrel-aged imperial stout.
- Midwest’s 32
- Twisted Zweig: Tropical
- Foxtoberfest – A seasonal beer with bread, cracker, and subtle toast notes. 5.0% ABV, 22 IBU.
Grand Rounds Brewing Co.
- Mo’ Citra – The West Coast-style double IPA is back on tap now.
Hoops Brewing Company
- #13 U.K. Pale Ale – An English-style ale with marshmallow and cocoa flavors. 4.% ABV, 18 IBU.
- #44 Saison – A Belgian-style strong ale with fruity and spicy flavors, plus a dry finish that brings out the inclusion of grains of paradise, orange, coriander, and ginger. 7.3% ABV, 31 IBU
- Colossal Catfish – This is a new 6% ABV hazy IPA made with a cocktail of Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe, and Amarillo hops. – Top Flight selection.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Double Pineapple Shake-O-Matic – Available in Crowlers in select stores across the state.
- Spanish Laser Boots – A sangria-inspired sour. – Top Flight selection.
La Doña Cervecería
- Higher Love – A dry-hopped Belgian saison with chamomile, grains of paradise, and orange peel. Made in collaboration with 612Brew.
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
This Saturday the brewery is celebrating flagship Marigold golden strong ale with several unique infusions:
- Citra dry-hopped Marigold
- Ginger Grapefruit Marigold
- Plum Marigold with MN plum juice
- Spiced Marigold
- Vanilla Marigold
Left Hand Brewing Company
- Oktoberfest – A 6.6% Märzen lager.
- Pug Named Rick – A smooth and juicy New England-style IPA with notes of fresh grapefruit, orange peel, and a slight bitterness, the brewery says. 6% ABV, 63 IBU.
- Rum Barrel Swordsmith Baltic Porter – This big porter pours at 9.4% ABV 42 IBU.
- Suck Me Sideways – “Our fruit-forward, refreshingly tart kettle sour sucks you right,” LynLake says. Brewed with 300 pounds of fresh raspberries. 4.4% ABV.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Shook – The latest in the Shook milkshake IPA series was made with nearly 2,000 pounds of fresh raspberries. Available at the brewery on Saturday and in liquor stores next week.
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Ball & Chain – To celebrate its seventh anniversary, Northbound will tap a new beer every Tuesday and Friday this month: eight new beers in total. This is a British-style strong ale that tapped on Tuesday.
- Barrel Aged Sour – Tapped last Friday.
- Belgian Golden Strong – This Anniversary Ale kicked things off last Tuesday.
- Incarceration – Double Ball & Chain. Tapping Friday, September 13.
Pantown Brewing Company
- Apple Crisp Ale – A limited release made with fresh apple and cinnamon flavor, just like the dessert – Top Flight selection.
- Bourbon Barrel-Aged Voices in my Head – Tapping today as part of the brewery’s second anniversary week-long celebration.
- Double Prairieville – Now available.
- Flu Shot Apple Pie infusion – Tapped on Wednesday, September 11.
- Mandala – A Belgian-style Quad to tap on Saturday, September 14.
Steel Toe Brewing
- Wee Heavy – Back on tap as of Thursday, this is the original non barrel-aged wee heavy with a backbone of UK malt, as the brewery notes, that presents, “rich caramel, hints of graham cracker and dark pit fruit” in the profile. 9.5% ABV. Available on tap and in 750-milliliter bottles at the brewery and hitting select stores soon.
Surly Brewing Company
- Damien – The child of Darkness is back on liquor store shelves now.
Talking Waters Brewing Co.
- Blurred Lines – “An experimental pale ale dry hopped with Mosaic and Mandarina Bavaria pours a hazy straw color with notes of bright citrus, tangerine, and tropical fruit. This beer starts out soft and juicy then finishes just dry enough to make it totally crushable,” the brewery says of this hazy IPA. 6% ABV.
- In the Limelight – A 4.8% ABV pastry sour with marshmallow fluff, graham cracker crumbles, lime puree, and vanilla. Both tart and creamy, according to Talking Waters.
Tilion Brewing Company
- Olde Sogn – A pumpkin ale, tapped last week. – Top Flight selection.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Nut Goodie Porter – This Pearson’s Candy collaboration has won a lot of recognition in limited previous releases. The 6% ABV, 30 IBU American porter made with milk chocolate, peanut butter, and maple taps again today.
Town Hall Brewery
- Alpha Nimbus 2019 – A 7.1% ABV white IPA that is aggressively hopped like an America IPA, Town Hall says. “This beer offers the marriage of the Belgian white style with American IPA,” with added orange peel and coriander.
- KFAN Unfiltered Blonde Ale – Tapping today. – Top Flight selection.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Märzen – An oak-lagered Märzen that spend five months at 40° F before being transferred to stainless tanks for carbonation.
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Oktoberfest – A 5.9% festbier.
Beers just announced
Birch’s On The Lake
The Long Lake brewpub kicked off its fourth-anniversary celebration with a new double IPA this week. Three more special beers will come before the month ends, including:
- Blackberry Blood Orange Berliner Weiss – A 5.2% ABV kettle sour made with blackberry and blood orange, set to tap September 29.
- Blanc Berliner – Another Berliner Weisse, this was brewed with sauv blanc grapes and fermented with wine yeast. To tap on Tuesday, September 24.
- Enigma IPA – Coming on Tuesday, September 17, this is a 5.8% ABV SMaSH West Coast-style IPA made with Golden Promise barley and Enigma hops.
- Oktoberfest – On September 28, the brewery will host an Oktoberfest party featuring a beer of the same style.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Double Mirror Universe – One of many featured beers at Fair State’s Co-Optoberfest on September 21, this is a hazy double IPA variation of Mirror Universe, pouring at 8.8% ABV. Crowlers release at 2pm.
- It’s Gold, Jerry! – The annual fresh hop ale returns. Made with Minnesota-grown Mighty Axe hops.
- Peachtea Keen – A mixed fermentation table beer with peach tea.
- Positive Jam – A fruited sour beer made with both blackcurrant and plum.
- U-Pick – The brewery also shared a social media picture of co-op members helping to pick raspberries for the return of this fruited barrel sour in early 2020.
Giesenbräu Bier Co.
- Wet Hop IPA – A beer featuring hops grown in Waterville, MN will be featured in this wet hop beer coming in the next few weeks.
Grand Rounds Brewing Co.
- Hop Bollocks – Next Tuesday marks the third release of this annual fresh hop beer.
Lake Monster Brewing
- Maple Bourbon Imperial Oatmeal Stout – To debut at Monster Bash on Saturday, October 26. The brewery will also serve eight different cask infusions.
- Wassail – A mulled beer that will be available at Monster Bash on October 26.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Doppelbock – Coming soon, according to a recent brewery newsletter. 8% ABV.
- Helles – An upcoming 4.8% ABV Bavarian-style Helles lager.
- Mighty Wet – “These hops barely make it off the line before they were infused into our wort to extract the most aroma and flavor as possible. We took it a step further and did a second infusion with freshly kilned hops,” the brewery says of this wet hop beer made with Mighty Axe-grown hops. 6.5% ABV, 50 IBU and coming in late September.
- Oktoberfest – The brewery will throw an Oktoberfest party on October 12, releasing this German-style Märzen. 5.7% ABV
- S&M – A 7.5% ABV limited release IPA to release next week. Featuring Simcoe and Mosaic hops, it pours at 60 IBU.
- Master Of Puppets RIS – Aged in Breckenridge bourbon barrels, this is set to tap on October 11 during LynLake’s upcoming Anniversary Week.
- Smurfette Juice – Another October 11, Anniversary Week release: “The follow-up to Smurf Juice, this sour milkshake IPA features raspberry, cantaloupe, and Blue Spirulina,” LynLake explains.
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Lost Boys – To celebrate its seventh anniversary, Northbound will tap a new beer every Tuesday and Friday this month: eight new beers in total. Lost Boys is a barrel-aged Belgian dark strong ale set to tap September 27.
- Oktoberfest – Available next Friday, September 20, at an Oktoberfest party where the brewpub promises a free beer to “anyone who wears lederhosen or dirndls.”
- Solitary Confinement – A bourbon barrel-aged Incarceration double British strong ale to tap next Tuesday, September 17.
- Wild Rice Amber Lager – To tap on September 24.
OMNI Brewing Co.
- Barrel-Aged Léon – “Our third-anniversary beer, aged one year in the Barrel Room,” OMNI notes. This is one of four special releases (two of which are announced so far) for the brewery’s fourth-anniversary party on Saturday, September 28.
- Melt – An anniversary passionfruit and raspberry smoothie sour to tap on September 28.
Pantown Brewing Company
- Hunter’s Paradise – “[Brewer] Nick wanted to put ‘The Northwoods in a glass’ so he brewed this beer with a healthy amount of wild rice and earthy hops,” the brewery says. Coming September 25.
- Fort Road Porter – This porter hits shelves in October and is defined by chocolate and caramel notes that complement the roasted malt base. A cold-weather companion for Fort Road Helles.
- Buenaveza Salt & Lime Lager – “Fresh-squeezed lime juice and a slight corn chip aroma hit the nose. Flavors of lime linger in each sip along with a touch of sweet malt. There’s a slight tartness and balanced light bitterness (‘balanced’ and ‘light’ by Stone standards, that is),” the brewery says. Available in California now and coming to the rest of the country next spring. 4.7% ABV.
Town Hall Brewing
- Undeclared IPA – A hoppy golden IPA with sweet fruit and big citrus flavors along with a clean finish, the brewery says. Expect notes of tangerine, mango, citrus peel, lemon, bready malt, and a touch of pine. 6.5% ABV and on tap next Monday.
Waconia Brewing Company
- NEbulous Hazy IPA – Scheduled to tap on Monday, September 16.
- Paradise DIPA – Scheduled to tap on Thursday, September 19.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.