With over 175 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
Fall is a transitional season, one with a lot of depth and a lot of variety. Sometimes it’s 70 degrees and sunny, sometimes it snows. Sometimes a brewery serves a seasonal fresh hop ale, a traditional Oktoberfest, or introduces a pitch-black imperial stout. We see all of those styles and more.
Falling Knife officially opens this weekend in Minneapolis, Fergus Brewing celebrates its grand opening in Fergus Falls and, across the border, Indeed’s second taproom and brewery in Milwaukee is throwing a party. While not new, Inbound is celebrating a so-called “half birthday” and who can overlook the Autumn Brew Review at Boom Island Park tomorrow.
Here’s a look at what’s new in beer this week.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Inbound Who the F%&# is Adam
“This dark, fruity, funky concoction was brewed as a dark dortmunder, kettle soured with lactobacillus brevis, and fermented in oak barrels with ten strains of brettanomyces yeast,” the brewery says of this Saturday “Half Birthday Beer Party” release. 9.1% ABV, 10 IBU.
Hoops #21.1 Daisy’s Best
The 21st version of the annual release celebrating Daisy Hoops’ birthday. A 6.5% ABV, 70 IBU red IPA.
Indeed Wooden Soul: Betelgeuse
A sour red ale with notes of rich fruit, cherries, caramel, and chocolate sweetness, the brewery says. On daft and in 750-milliliter bottles sold at the taproom.
La Doña Ocēlōtl
This anniversary ale is a mezcal barrel-aged barleywine that is available at the brewery’s anniversary party this weekend in bottles.
Summit Dark Infusion
The popular, seasonal coffee milk stout is back for a limited time in 12-ounce cans and on draft.
New beers available this week (October 14–October 20)
Bad Axe Brewing
- Oktoberfest – To tap at the brewery’s Oktoberfest party this Saturday, October 19, at the Nisswa brewery.
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Palate Jack – A double IPA with pineapple and pine notes, described as “aggressively hoppy” by the brewery. 8% ABV, 40 IBU.
- Best Brown Ale – A 5.8% ABV brown ale is currently available in cans, bottles, and on draft.
- Expedition Stout – A 10.% ABV stout sold in 12-ounce bottles and on draft.
- Maroon & Bold – Made with 100% Minnesota hops and malts, this seasonal double IPA returns today.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Harness Rye IPA
Big Axe Brewing
- Raspberry and Passion Fruit Kettle Sour – “Our house kettle sour infused with raspberry and passion fruit. These fruits team up to make the beer tart yet smooth,” Big Axe says.
Bobbing Bobber Brewing Company
- Panda-monium – “Brewed in association with 2018 Growler Kind-Of-A-Big-Deal Award winning band Parachute Pandas, this beer is an Arnie Palmer (lemonade and tea) inspired Mexican lager,” the brewery says. 5.3% ABV.
Clutch Brewing Company
- Chai-Ceratops – A chai-infused pale ale with rye malt and spice character from the tea that complements the hop-derived citrus notes.
Copper Trail Brewing Co.
- Indigo Wheat – “This blueberry wheat isn’t overpowering with honey malt adding a sweet backnote and the red wheat creating a fun depth to the beer,” the brewery says. 5.5% ABV, 17 IBU.
- Lucky Red – A 5.8% ABV, 20 IBU Irish red ale with toasty caramel aromas and a semi-dry finish, the brewery says.
- Blueberry Pancakes – New in the Slang Du Jour Sour A La Mode series is a beer brewed with blueberry, maple syrup, cinnamon, lactose, brown sugar, and vanilla beans. 5% ABV.
Dual Citizen Brewing Company
- Electric Citizen – St. Paul IPA in the New England style, brewed collaboratively between Dual Citizen and Tin Whiskers. “This New England IPA is packed with three different varieties of hops (Sabro, Citra, and Mandarina Bavaria) to give it the juicy, full-bodied flavor we know and love in this style. With notes of tropical fruit and citrus followed by a unique coconut aroma that brings it all together for a clean, smooth finish,” the brewery says. 7.6% ABV, 21 IBU.
Fair State Brewing Co-Operative
- FSB Pt. 1 – Fair State is doing FSB differently this year, releasing three variants, each brewed in collaboration with Forager Brewery. Part 1 is a s’mores-inspired pastry stout with marshmallows, graham crackers, cacao nibs, vanilla, and honey.
Falling Knife Brewing Company
The newest brewery in Northeast Minneapolis opens today with a weekend-long grand opening celebration. When at full capacity, the brewery has room for 16 tap lines. The opening lineup includes:
- Atlantean Belgian Golden Strong
- Citra and Mosaic Hazy IPA
- Cumulonimbus Pink Guava
- Daydreaming, Hazy Citra Pale Ale
- DDH Cloud Surfing
- Denali and Mosaic Hazy IPA
- Double Dry Hopped Hazy Double IPA
- Evil Pockets Helles Lager
- Freischutz Northern German Pilsner
- Ghost Step Coffee Stout
- Pineapple and Passionfruit Kettle Sour
- Terminally Chill West Coast IPA
- The Joy Fermentable
- Verbal Tip
Fergus Brewing Co.
- Blueberry-Lemon Saison – Available at the new Fergus Falls brewery now. Fergus celebrates its grand opening this Saturday.
- Toasty Ghostie – This is a pumpkin maple chipotle porter made in collaboration with the Sustainable Farming Association of MN.
- Chokecherry Sour – A new kettle sour Beyond the Door series release, made with chokecherries picked exclusively for HeadFlyer at Edgerly Farms. “This fruit adds a tart flavor and deep red color to this crushable sour,” the brewery says. 4.2% ABV.
- Kingfield Porter – A coffee porter with added milk sugar, coriander, and black Hawaiian sea salt. 5.8% ABV, 28 IBU.
Hoops Brewing Company
- #21.1 Daisy’s Best – Top Flight selection.
- #41 Champagne IPA – This is a hoppy 7% ABV, 31 IBU IPA that is described as light-bodied, bone dry, and fruity.
- Prairie Creek Porter – “This dark, chocolaty ale gets its flavor from loads of dark malts, earthy, herbal hops, and a smooth English yeast combining to form a perfect porter,” the brewery says. 6.2% ABV, 32 IBU.
Inbound celebrates its “half birthday” with five new and returning beers:
- Blueberry Guava Sour – The latest Pastry Ale series release is a fruited dark sour brewed with the Brewing Change Collaborative. 5.5% ABV, 20 IBU.
- Cinna-Man Buns – A double brown ale with cinnamon, caramelized wort reduction, and toasted pecans. Brewed in collaboration with Invictus Brewing. 9% ABV, 25 IBU.
- Contains Nuts – The peanut butter milk stout returns to the brewery on Saturday. It will be in cans next week at area stores. 5.4% ABV, 24 IBU.
- PB&J Milk Stout – A peanut butter milk stout infused with fresh raspberries. Only one keg will tap; this Saturday at the brewery. 5.4% ABV, 25 IBU.
- Who the F%&# is Adam – Top Flight selection.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Fresh Hop Pale Ale – “Bright, resinous, and bursting with fresh blueberry and tropical fruit aromas, our Fresh Hop Ale is brewed with fresh Mosaic hops, harvested at their peak and shipped directly from Yakima, Washington,” Indeed notes. Available now in cans and on draft.
- Wooden Soul: Betelgeuse – Top Flight selection.
- Wooden Soul: Pinot Heartbreak – A barrel-aged sour red ale refermented on pinot noir grapes. The beer carries notes of raspberry, cherry, and blackberry. It is available in 12-ounce cans, draft, and in 750-milliliter bottles at the brewery.
Jack Pine Brewery
- Harvest Red IPA – A fresh-hopped red ale with Mighty Axe-grown hops.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Big Kahuna – Released last weekend, this is an imperial coconut dark ale with flavors similar to a Mounds bar.
- Saturday Things – A sherbert style IPA.
- Vertical Contemplations – A bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout.
La Doña Cervecería
- Ocēlōtl – Top Flight selection.
Lift Bridge Brewing Company
- Imperial Pumpkin Porter – The fall seasonal is back on tap at the brewery as of this week.
Little Thistle Brewery
- Wake Me Up Before You Coco – A coconut stout that is “full of notes of chocolate, waves of vanilla, and packed with toasted coconut goodness,” the brewery says. 7.7% ABV, 16 IBU.
Pryes Brewing Company
- Fresh Hopped Northern Pale Ale – Pryes’ English-style pale ale gets a fresh Comet hop twist this Saturday at the brewery.
Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- Empourium – The hazy IPA returned at the downtown Minneapolis brewpub yesterday.
Roets Jordan Brewery
- Jordan Ale – A kveik cream ale.
- Roets Apple – The apple sour ale is back on tap in Jordan.
- Witch’s Brew Ale – Angel Seat Amber Ale with apple cider and a hint of cinnamon.
- Oktoberfest – Tapped a week ago today.
- Rustic Porter – A 6.8% ABV, 45 IBU porter tapped earlier this month.
- Wild Sabro – A 6.7% ABV, 63 IBU American IPA tapped earlier this month at the brewery.
- Schell’s will serve special small batch recreations of historic recipes from the University of Minnesota archives at the Premodern Food Cultures Conference this weekend at the U.
Summit Brewing Company
- Dark Infusion – Top Flight selection.
Surly Brewing Company
Surly will serve special small batch recreations of historic recipes from the University of Minnesota archives at the Premodern Food Cultures Conference this weekend at Surly’s Brooklyn Center Brewery. Attendance is free, but registration is required. Beers to be sampled at the event include:
- Porter, by H.y Hemsted – Surly senior brewer Brenton Tuominen explains this 18th-century recipe: “The key unique aspects were adding burnt brown sugar for color and flavor, mashing and boiling extra long, and adding ginger and licorice root. The ginger and licorice provide a tease of a modern root beer or ginger beer on the nose, but the smoke, caramel and other unique notes from the burnt brown sugar takes over in flavor, pairing really well with the porter base.”
Talking Waters Brewing Co.
- Reality Czech – A traditionally inspired 5.4% ABV Czech-style Pilsner made with Hallertau Tradition, Saphir, and Sterling hops and a 100% German grain bill.
Third Street Brewhouse
- Lake State Brown Ale – A 5.5% ABV fall seasonal brown ale with hints of chocolate and caramel.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Grand Marnier Oak-Aged Dynamo – On tap at 3pm today, this variant of Dynamo chocolate orange imperial stout was made with oak soaked in Grand Marnier. “Silky, decadent, and dangerously smooth,” the brewery proclaims.
Town Hall Brewery
- Anniversary Ale – A Pacific Northwest-inspired auburn IPA that uses both English and American hops. At 6.6% ABV, it offers bready, chocolate, caramel notes plus citrus and grassy hop flavors.
- Blackberry Gold – At 8.8% ABV, this is a barrel-aged Belgian blonde ale inspired by a bourbon, blackberry, and lemon cocktail. It carries bright citrus notes, tart blackberry, plus Belgian yeast esters and bourbon notes.
- Six Hour Tour – A barrel-aged imperial version of Three Hour tour coconut milk stout with big dark chocolate and coconut flavors, plus vanilla and oak character. 8.8% ABV.
- Broomstacker – This red lager is a limited release seasonal offering from Utepils. Available on tap at the brewery on Friday. 6.0%, 41 IBU.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Lunchbox Porter
- RipRap – Excelsior’s peanut butter cup stout is back on tap and available in 6-packs.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Démodé – “Démodé was brewed with 2-row, malted wheat, and flaked oats and hopped with Cascade and Centennial hops, resulting in a silky smooth IPA with resinous and mandarin orange notes and a nose of orange peel and pine,” the brewery says.
- Fall – A black IPA with kveik yeast and a 3-hop blend for bright citrus notes along with hints of pine and a chocolate base, the brewery says.
- Hemispheric Fissure – A pale ale with melon and orange juice aromatics complemented by flavors of papaya and orange peel with a dry finish, the brewery says.
- Rider – A bright, citrusy IPA with a dank finish, the brewery notes. Made with Vic Secret, Equinox, and Simcoe hops.
Beers just announced
- Dark Fatha – The dark imperial stout returns on Halloween. 400 bottles will be available.
Copper Trail Brewing Co.
Four special beers will tap at Copper Train in Alexandria on October 26 for All Hallows’ Brew party:
- SmashWerks – A 4.6% ABV, 50 IBU single malt, single hop pale ale with Simcoe hops and Minnesota malt with a complex sweetness up front and a slight bitterness at the finish.
- Oletoberfest – A 5.6% ABV, 23 IBU märzen lager with toasty notes and a smooth, dry finish, the brewery says.
- Oofda Ale – A light golden ale that pours at 4.6% ABV, 19 IBU.
- Wet N’ Wild – An 8% ABV, 88 IBU wet hop double IPA with grassy and lemon flavors that are accented by the addition of lemon zest added late in the boil.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Stir Crazy Porter – This malt-forward winter porter pours dark brown with roasted malt, chocolate, and caramel flavors. Returning in early November and available through the winter, Indeed says.
Pryes Brewing Company
- Barrel-Aged Lost Moon – A bourbon barrel-aged edition of Lost Moon Russian Imperial Stout is available for samples at Autumn Brew Review this weekend, then will be officially released on November 23.
- Blood Orange Miraculum – Miraculum IPA with a touch of blood orange. This variation will be sold in 16-ounce cans beginning November 4. The brewery will host a Blood Orange Infusion flight on November 2 to mark the release.
Rogue Ales & Spirits
- Cherry Choctabulous – Coming to 22-ounce bottles next month, this is a rich milk stout that “drinks like a cherry cordial in a bottle,” Rogue says. 8.4% ABV.
- Double Time Cherry Lime – Also available next month, this tart imperial Berliner weisse has cherry and lime juice, using a sour base to balance tart and sweet cherry notes and citrus lime. 9.1% ABV.
- Astral Fusion – The next Noble Star Collection comes out next month. It was aged on mangoes and fused with a raspberry Berliner Weisse for tart fruitiness and sweet, tropical stone fruit flavors.
- Snowstorm – Snowstorm 2019 is an amber ale with malty flavors balanced with a crisp and hoppy finish, Schell’s says. Coming on November 1.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Secret Prism – “This hazy IPA has heavy tropical notes of passionfruit and mango with a soft palate and a pungent nose,” Wild Mind says. Available on October 22. The brewery will also pour a firkin with dragonfruit powder and fresh blueberries.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.