With well over 100 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up-to-date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
Each week is an anniversary, each week brings new one-off collaborations. Able Seedhouse + Brewery and Brasa have teamed up for something special in Minneapolis, and Badger Hill worked on a new Pilsner with the RiverSouth group.
A heap of breweries announced their contribution to the Superior Series at All Pints North on July 29, in which each beer includes at least a splash of Lake Superior water. While many breweries are releasing summer-themed sessionable Berliner weisse offerings, 10K and Insight are among the breweries looking toward fall.
New beers available this week (July 17–July 23)
Able Seedhouse & Brewery
- Easy, Tiger – A collaboration beer for Brasa’s 10th anniversary. Releasing on Sunday, Able describes this beer as a “lighter, flavorful, malty, brew with notes of caramel, citrus, and floral hops.”
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Belgian Singel – At the taproom now. 4.9% ABV, 30 IBU.
- Green Sky Double IPA – Brewed with five hop varieties. 8.4% ABV, 115 IBU.
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Big Fun Brew Pilsner – Badger Hill released this RiverSouth beer on Thursday to celebrate the many destinations in and around Shakopee. On tap and with limited bottles available.
- Walleye Hunter Pale Ale
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- Maverick – A hazy pale ale brewed with Vic Secret, Ella, and Amarillo hops. 5.2% ABV.
- Hefe Royal – A German-style hefeweizen releasing Friday at Blacklist’s taproom.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Strawberry Milkshake IPA – 7.0% ABV, 70 IBU. Described by Dangerous Man as, “Strawberry shortcake in a cup, with a bright citrus hop finish.”
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Barrel-Fermented Du Pounde – A mixed-culture version of Fair State’s flagship saison. “This version is tart, funky, and oaky,” says the brewery. 5.2% ABV, 25 IBU. On tap now, bottles available on August 6.
- Twisted Branch – A strawberry Berliner weisse, on tap and in Crowlers in Rochester.
HammerHeart Brewing Company
- Wandering Spirit — A new, “very sessionable IPA made with a bit of applewood-smoked malt,” says the brewery. Available on tap and in Crowlers at the brewery. 5.1% ABV.
Hayes’ Public House
- McSorley’s Spruce Ale – Brewed with All Pints North in mind, this Scottish ale was brewed with Minnesota spruce tips and a splash of Lake Superior water. The brewery says it’s “malty, sweet, caramel, toffee, with a hint of Minnesota spruce in the finish.” 6.3% ABV. In the taproom now.
- No. 2 Lilac infused Honey Ale – On tap and in Crowlers.
- No. 21 India Pale Ale – On tap and in Crowlers.
- No. 88 Stout MN – Now available in the taproom.
- English Style Barley Wine – Made specially for Spirit of The Lakes Festival on July 21, this barleywine was aged in “Harbor Select Barrel #232,” a barrel of J. Carver Bourbon that was sold entirely at Harbor Wine & Spirits.
Inbound BrewCo / MKE Brewing
- Wit Wine – A border-crossing collaboration that is a twist on traditional wheat wine, made with coriander and orange peel. On tap now in the North Loop, and recently brewed onsite at MKE. Both versions will be available at Great Taste of the Midwest on August 10.
- Oktoberfest – A mid-summer märzen-style lager, available now.
- Drunken Loon Dark Belgian Ale – Six grains, six spices, and dark candi sugar. 9.0% ABV, 27 IBU.
- Moose Stout – An Irish stout with “spicy, earthier flavors.” 5.2% ABV, 40 IBU.
Olvalde Farm and Brewing Company
- Day Torch – A collaboration made with Oakhold Farmhouse Brewery, it’s described as “sour and funky, peppery bitterness, zesty.”
Surly Brewing Company
- Bash Action Cream Ale – A one-off cream ale for the annual Grumpy’s Bash anniversary concert in their downtown parking lot on July 22.
Union 32 Craft House
- Implication Imperial IPA – The first beer brewed on the Union 32 brewhouse was released Thursday. This imperial IPA has “intense earthy hops and a big malt backbone,” says the brewpub. 9.3%ABV.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- DDH Northern Bloom – Available in Crowlers at 12pm on Saturday.
- Priscilla – A golden sour ale aged on 462 pounds of smoked peaches.
- Teacher’s Pet – An imperial stout brewed with coffee and cocoa nibs.
Seasonal or rotating returns
Angry Inch Brewing
- Solar Eclipse — A Belgian white pale ale. 7.0% ABV, 27 IBU
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- Java Oats — The coffee stout from opening day returns. Mucci’s will feature special doughnuts on Sunday to celebrate.
- MPG — Mango, passionfruit, and guava Berliner weisse. 4.0% ABV.
- Pudding Goggles — In barrels now.
- Surfside Ale – The return of the official beer of the Spirit of The Lakes Festival. Debuts on Friday, July 21.
- Stone Farking Wheaton w00tstout — A previous collaboration between Drew Curtis (Fark.com), Wil Wheaton (actor), and Greg Koch returns. An imperial stout with wheat, pecans, and bourbon barrel-aging. “The result is a beer bursting with a plethora of aromatics and flavors: cocoa, coffee, licorice, oak, nuts, vanilla and, of course, bourbon,” says Stone. 2017 bottle art is by comic artist and writer Walt Simonson. 13.0% ABV, 65 IBU.
Town Hall Lanes
Town Hall Lanes turns four this month. They celebrated with several special releases:
- Czar Jack – The gold medal-winning barrel-aged Imperial Stout, out on July 17.
- Lemonage Lager – A lager aged on lemons, out on Wednesday July 19.
- Manhattan Reserve – A grand cru from the Barrel Series, out today, July 21.
Beers just announced
- Boathouse Bitter — One of several beers brewed specially for All Pints North. The Superior Series features beers using a splash of Lake Superior water, among other beer ingredients. Boathouse Bitter is dry and slightly nutty. 4.4% ABV, 30 IBU.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Gose – A new kettle sour with coriander, currently in development.
Bald Man Brewing Company
- Strawberry Fields Forever Cream Ale — Part of the Superior Series for All Pints North.
- Julio — A malt mead featuring passionfruit and green chile. 12.5% ABV. All Pints North.
Castle Danger Brewery
- IPL — A 5.5% lager with a cereal base note, and Tahoma and Rakau hops. “These newer varieties lend distinct aromas of tropical fruits, berries, and stone fruit,” says the brewery. Available at All Pints North on July 29 as part of the Superior Series.
- Saskatoon Moon — A wild saison with Saskatoon Berries and a splash of Lake Superior water. For All Pints North.
Copper Trail Brewing Company
- Spruce Trip Ale — Coming to Alexandria soon.
Eastlake Craft Brewery
- Sun Dogs IPA — A dry IPA heavily dry-hopped with Citra. 7.0% ABV, 70 IBU. For All Pints North in Duluth.
- An unnamed imperial milk stout was recently added to Few Spirits bourbon and rye whiskey barrels.
- Superior Weiss — This Berliner weisse features wild foraged fruit from the BWCA picked just two days prior to All Pints North, where it will debut. “We hope to find blueberries, and raspberries while in the Boundary Waters,” Forager says.
Grand Rounds Brewing Company
- Hans Grubier — A blackberry Berliner weisse with a touch of Lake Superior water for All Pints North.
- Lemon-Ginger Belgian Blonde — Clean Pilsner malt, fruity esters, Lake Superior water. Available at All Pints North. 5.5% ABV, 25 IBU.
- Pit of the Peach — A Belgian Quad with smoked peaches, aged in Chardonnay barrels. A collaboration with Brouwerij Alvinne in Belgium, slated for a fall release.
Lake Monster Brewing
- North Shore Ale — Brewed with spruce tips as part of the Superior Series. 6.4% ABV, 45 IBU.
Sociable Cider Werks
- Apple Blueberry Berliner Weisse — Co-fermented on blueberries and a blend of Honeycrisp, SweeTango, and Haralson cider. All Pints North, July 29 in Duluth.
Spilled Grain Brewhouse
- SMaSH Series #5 — “This one will feature the recently revived Chevallier malt, new experimental ‘grapefruit’ hops, and of course Lake Superior water,” says the brewery. 5.4% ABV, 47 IBU.
Talking Waters Brewing Co.
- Gitche Gumee Gose — A German kettle sour brewed for All Pints North on July 29.
Urban Growler Brewing Company
- Hayloft Series Splash — “This refreshing ale is brewed with blueberries and ‘sea’ hops for a splashingly delicious brewcoction,” says the brewery. 5.4% ABV, 16 IBU.
Utepils Brewing Co
- Ewald the Superior — Utepils Hefeweizen, then dry-hopped with Tahoma for an added citrus note. 5.4% ABV, 14 IBU. Part of the Superior Series.
Voyageur Brewing Company
- American Point Pale Ale — A traditional Pacific Northwest style APA, named for the end of the Gunflint Trail. Available at All Pints North on July 29. 4.8% ABV, 35 IBU.
- Grrreat Flakes — An IPA made with flaked corn and Columbus and Denali hops for All Pints North. 6.0% ABV, 55 IBU.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Round One: A Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Imperial Sour — The first anniversary beer from Wild Mind in south Minneapolis will debut on August 5. This is a wild ale brewed with pineapple puree, vanilla beans, and lactose, then conditioned on French oak. It will be on tap and in limited bottles.
- Sour Du Lac — A saison blended with foeder-aged sour ale and aged on berries for All Pints North.
Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.