With over 175 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
Anticipation is always the best part of the holidays. Thanksgiving, Christmas—yes, even Black Friday—leads to a lot of new and exciting beer, plus returning and limited favorites. New dark, bold stouts are on the horizon, plus herbed ciders and spiced Belgian-style offerings.
This week marks the opening of two new Minnesota breweries, notable anniversaries, and more new breweries to come.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Boom Island Yule
A Minnesota take on the traditional Belgian-style holiday beers. “Resting under a thick beige head and with a deep mahogany color, this year’s ale has big caramel notes with a hint of roast and light holiday spices. Rich, dark, and malty it comes in at 9.8% ABV,” Boom Island says. On tap at the brewery and available in 750-milliliter bottles.
Duluth Cider Bliss Cranberry Herb Cider
Described by the cidery as “Christmas in a glass,” Duluth Cider says, “This special semi-sweet holiday cider combines our unique blend of 100% fresh-pressed local apples with tart Wisconsin cranberries and a delicious dose of rosemary, sage and thyme.” On tap today.
Burning Brothers Auntie M’s
A gluten-free traditional Irish red ale made with millet and buckwheat. “A malt-forward ale that is perfectly balanced with just a touch of Warrior Hops. Easy drinking and a delight to any palate,” the brewery says. In cans now, and the brewery is throwing a release party this Saturday, November 16.
Summit Imperial Russian Stout
This pitch black beer offers roasted malt, mocha coffee, black licorice, and dark fruit flavors describes as “assertive and bold with a warming finish.”
ONE Fermentary Eau de Vie
An imperial blonde ale, “Brewed with Rush River and inspired by the classic Sidecar cocktail, this imperial blond ale was aged for three months in our French Cognac foeder,” ONE says. 10.2% ABV.
New beers available this week (November 11–November 17)
- BA Loonar Uprising – A bourbon barrel-aged version of Loonar Uprising with added oak and vanilla character.
22 Northmen Brewing Co.
- Night Axe – A chocolate and vanilla imperial stout. “This beer opens with dark chocolate has a distinct vanilla midpoint that is rooted into a hardy stout finish,” the brewery says. 8.7% ABV.
Able Seedhouse + Brewery
- Oh Baby – A new stout that begins with a rich and sweet base, with oats and lactose for a smooth texture. “Berry notes from the Glacier hops are slight, and compliment the beer’s sweet, dessert-like ingredients,” head brewer Bobby Blasey says, along with notes of cherry, cacao nibs, and vanilla. 8.2% ABV, 8 IBU. Tapping at the brewery on Friday and coming to liquor stores and bars on November 18.
Avery Brewing Company
- Pear of Peaches – A fruited hazy imperial IPA. “Using contemporary dry-hopping techniques, Avery’s brewers added Simcoe and Amarillo hops, and then traditionally dry-hopped with Mosaic hops,” the brewery says. 9% ABV.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- Pee-Wee Stout – A 4.5% ABV, 40 IBU stout with roasty malt, chocolate, and dried dark fruit notes that provide intense imperial-style flavors without the dense body and high ABV. Available both in the Freezebox Mixed Pack and on draft at Bauhaus.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Double Shot Double Black (Barrel Aged) – A robust version of Black Ale, Double Shot Double Black is malt-forward with smooth chocolate and roast flavors, coffee-derived vanilla bean notes, plus oak and whiskey character from barrel-aging. 11.2% ABV.
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Yule – Top Flight selection.
Brau Brothers Brewing Company
White Cap – A 5.2% ABV, 18 IBU Belgian-style witbier.
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
- Law and Porter: Chocolate Covered Cherry Edition – A porter with dark chocolate and toffee flavors, with added chocolate and cherry as a nod to the classic dessert.
Three versions of Broken Clock’s Russian imperial stout will be available Saturday at the brewery’s taproom anniversary party. The base beer features mild chocolate and smoky, roasted aromas with rich dark chocolate, licorice, and while berry on the tongue.
- 2018 – Non Barrel Aged RISe
- 2018 – Barrel Aged RISe
- 2017 – Barrel Aged RISe
Burning Brothers Brewing
- Auntie M’s – Top Flight selection.
Copper Trail Brewing Company
The Alexandria-based brewery recently released Hopper Trail (American IPA), Indigo Wheat (Blueberry Wheat) and Lucky Red (Irish Red Ale) in 6-packs. In addition, the brewery is pouring:
- Schmuckleberry – A wheat ale with huckleberries, on tap at the brewery today.
- Oofda! Pumpkin Pie – A light ale that debuts at the brewery on Saturday, November 16.
- CHONK! Sundae Sour – The first in a new series of decadent-style beers, this is strawberries, white chocolate, and lactose sugar.
Dual Citizen Brewing Company
- Country Road Kolsch – “Pours a pale straw color with a white head, slightly bready notes followed by a clean dry finish,” the brewery says.
- Bliss Cranberry Herb Cider – Top Flight selection.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- FSB Pt. 2 – FSB imperial stout this year is a three-part series of pastry stouts, each brewed in collaboration with Humble Forager. The second installment will be a salted caramel pastry stout with vanilla, tapping at the brewery on Thursday.
Fergus Brewing Co.
- Postman Peanut Butter Stout – Brewed to recognize Men’s Cancer Awareness month as part of a Lupulin-led awareness project.
Forgotten Star Brewing Co.
A new brewery opens in Fridley next week on Saturday, November 16. Beers will include:
- Big Stick IPA
- Boiler Room Porter
- Liquid Sunshine Belgian Blonde
- Northstar Golden Ale
- River Road Red
- Peach/Mango Always Hard Seltzer – Tapped at the Willmar brewery last week.
Garphish Brewing Company
- Subplimal Haze – This hazy IPA returns.
- Lambda Class – Flavors of chocolate, caramel, roast, and a hint of smoke define this 8.8% imperial porter. The brewery has also set some of this beer aside to age in whiskey barrels for an upcoming special release.
- Waka Talkin About Willis – Featuring Wakatu and Nelson Sauvin hops that impart fruity and floral flavors, this is a hazy IPA that pours at 6.9% ABV, 32 IBU and is on tap now.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Lavender Sunflower Honey and Dates – The beer better known as “LSD” just won a gold medal in the European Beer Star 2019 competition in the Herb and Spice Beer category. With notable fruit and honey flavors capped off with a spiced and floral bouquet, Indeed is re-releasing it for a limited time to celebrate. It’s available in 6-packs of 12-ounce cans and is also being sold at the taproom in a special flight with B-Side Pils and Mexican Honey Imperial Lager—all three of which have some similar awards in the competition the past three years.
- Stir Crazy Porter – This winter seasonal is a porter with notes of roasted malt, chocolate, and caramel, available on draft and in 12-ounce cans. A flight of infusions is currently available at Indeed’s taproom.
- Taiga IPA – A new fresh-hopped IPA available in cans.
The anniversary imperial stout is back, with several variants available both on tap and in bottles at Saturday’s anniversary party.
- 2-Year Bourbon Barrel Aged – Available in bottles and tapping at 2pm.
- Coffee Cake – Made with cinnamon, vanilla, and graham cracker, and aged in rum barrels. Available in bottles and tapping at 5pm.
- Mexican Chocolate – Made with roasted cacao nibs, cinnamon, and peppers, and aged in tequila barrels. Available in bottles and on tap at 4pm.
- Raspberry Vanilla – Aged in bourbon barrels. Available in bottles and tapping at 3pm.
- Toasted Coconut – Aged in bourbon barrels. Available in bottles and tapping at 2pm.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- ChemDawgTrails – A New England-style IPA
- Turkish Coffee Brownie Stout
Lakeville Brewing Co.
- Hops Scotch – A dark, rich, and malty Scotch ale at 6.9% ABV.
- Little Hill Harvest Ale – This fall seasonal is made with Northfield-grown squash and a hint of spice, the brewery says. 6.4% ABV.
- YardsAle – A 5.4% ABV amber ale made with hops grown right at the brewery.
Little Thistle Brewery
- Jade’s Sunset – A Belgian-style witbier with cardamom and grapefruit zest. “With notes of clove and spice this is the perfect light winter beer,” the brewery says. 4.3% ABV, 10 IBU.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Schism – An 8% ABV Cascadian dark ale.
- Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Dictator – A cigar-smoked imperial brown ale, on tap today at the Minneapolis brewpub. 9.2% ABV.
OMNI Brewing Co.
- Omnipotent – This smokey scotch ale with caramel flavors returns to the taproom.
ONE Fermentary & Taproom
A new brewpub is opening in Minneapolis’ North Loop neighborhood. At grand opening this Saturday, the lineup will be:
- And We’ll See You Tomorrow Night – A 5.0% ABV Bohemian Pilsner with biscuit-like malt character and Saaz hops.
- Busted Chain – “Bold, chocolate-like malt character with mild hop bitterness,” ONE says of this 5.8% ABV brown ale.
- Eau de Vie – Top Flight selection.
- Hugs N’ High Fives – A hazy New England-style IPA made with Simcoe, Strata, and Citra hops. Pours at 8.7% ABV.
- Little Help – A 5.0% ABV pale ale with fruit-forward flavors from the use of Strata and Simcoe hops. On nitro.
- Rising Hope – This 6.4% ABV American pale ale was made in collaboration with Country Malt Group and The Lab using blood orange and tangerine. Profits benefit the National Pediatric Cancer Foundation.
- Tally Ho! – A malt-forward stout with coffee-like roasted flavors. 5.1% ABV.
- Unexpected Delays – A 5.6% ABV amber ale with caramel and toasted malt flavors, the brewpub says.
- Wry Logger – Previously served at Bad Weather, who collaborated with ONE on the beer, “This rye lager features Red X and rye malt. Toasty, bready malt, and citrusy, floral hops,” the brewpub notes.
Pantown Brewing Company
- Lighten Up, Francis – A new hazy IPA made with Topaz and Ekuanot hops.
Summit Brewing Company
- Imperial Russian Stout – Top Flight selection.
Surly Brewing Company
- Abrasive – Surly’s double IPA is back on draft and in cans now.
Take 16 Brewing Co.
- Pheasant Pheastbier
Talking Waters Brewing Co.
- Small Talk – This is a low-alcohol hazy IPA that pours at just 3.5% ABV. “A light and refreshing mini powerhouse that’s made with 100% MN-grown Julius hops from Mighty Axe which bring out big notes of sweet orange, citrus and lemon,” the brewery says.
- Alcoholic Kombucha with Lime and Mint 0101 – A new light and bubbly alcoholic kombucha with mint and lime on the nose and flavors of tea and herbs, with tart and funky notes. 5.3% ABV.
The Nordic Brewing Co.
- Bachelorette Party – A 5% ABV hard seltzer served with fruit puree. Flavors include: blueberry, blood orange, cranberry, Kool-Aid, wild strawberry rhubarb, and woodruff.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Cash Bot – A hazy rye IPA with dank, piney flavors and a finish that includes notes of lemon, melon, and earthy rye spice, the brewery says.
- Coconut Parsec Porter
- Peach RoboShake IPA – Available this Friday.
- Red Cherry Petite Sour
- Bearded Preacher’s Wife – A juicy IPA, tapped last week, made with New Zealand and Pacifica hops.
Town Hall Brewery
- 1800 English IPA – An interpretation of an English IPA recipe from 1800, made with a heavy dose of British hops. The 6.9% ABV IPA was last released in 2016 and has won a GABF bronze medal.
Urban Forage Winery & Ciderhouse
- Dry Mead – This upcoming mead is still honey-based, but with a dry finish. “Still a bit sweeter on the tongue than our dry cider due to all the honey, but significantly drier than our semi-sweet mead,” Urban Forage says.
- Herbed Cider – A new winter cider with apple mint, bee balm, and anise hyssop. The cidery describes it as “Wonderfully herbal and delicate, and we hope to get it on tap soon. Savory, a bit sweet and more sour, it’s a refreshing taste of the late summer and early fall that is slipping away as you read this.” 6.5% ABV on tap and in 22-ounce bottles.
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Florida Fling – A 4.5% ABV key lime pie-inspired ale made with key lime juice, lactose, and vanilla.
Beers just announced
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Immortal Toast – The infused white stout is scheduled to return next week.
- To a Locomotive in Winter – A 6.0% ABV smoked porter and the fourth release in the Leaves of Grass series inspired by the works of Walt Whitman.
Burning Brothers Brewing
- Sriracha Porter – Taps on Wednesday, November 27 at the brewery.
Copper Trail Brewing Company
- Black Betty – An oaked bourbon porter. On tap Wednesday, November 27.
- Lucky Red – A ginger-infused version of the Irish red ale taps at the brewery on Saturday, November 23.
- Orange Hopshake – A milkshake IPA set to tap on November 22 at the brewery.
- SmashWerks – This is a mango and habanero-infused SMaSH pale ale that taps that the brewery on Friday, November 29.
- Tiramisu Midwest Midnight – Set to tap on Saturday, November 30 at the brewery, this is a chocolate stout.
Fair State Brewing Coop
- Partying Past Burning Bridges – A Thanksgiving week collaboration with 3 Floyds Brewing, this is a “dip-hopped IPA,” made using a Japanese brewing technique for the first time (at either brewery), which involved hopping the wort after the heat exchange but before introducing the yeast. It taps on November 27 and will be in liquor stores the following week.
Fat Pants Brewing Co.
A new brewery will open in Eden Prairie later this month, officially doing so at 11am on November 25 with the following selection:
- Belgian Dubbel
- Cherry Whit
- Citra IPA
- Centennial IPA
- Hard Lemonade
- Milk Stout
- Mosaic IPA
Founders Brewing Co.
- French Toast Bastard – A barrel-aged scotch ale with additional maple syrup, cinnamon, and vanilla. This upcoming release is part of Founders’ Mothership Series, previously limited to the breweries taprooms. 11.1% ABV and limited.
- KBS Espresso – KBS aged on espresso beans, and the first 2020 Barrel-Aged Series release. This is a 12% ABV barrel-aged offering that hits the Grand Rapids taproom this month but will be released in bottles in December, kicking off the series for the upcoming year.
- Chocolate Oatmeal Milk Stout – One of two Holidazzle exclusives, this is a full-bodied chocolate stout that the brewery describes as “incredibly smooth.”
- Goodwill Gold – The second of two Holidazzle exclusives, available in Minneapolis beginning November 29, this is “extremely easy-drinking and familiar…a super light, crispy, un-fussy golden lager that will surely please even the non-craft drinker in your group,” the brewery says.
- Jameson Barrel-Aged Brown – Out next week, Fulton’s first brown ale is malt-forward but balanced and aged in Jameson whiskey barrels, which give “hints of vanilla and oak flavors. It is medium-bodied and will surprise you with its smooth texture, clean finish, and overall drinkability,” Fulton says.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Strange Calm – A bourbon barrel-aged strong ale with honey, ginger, and orange peel. What emerges is a balanced but bold blend of oak, subtle ginger and a wisp of caramel and vanilla,” the brewery says. 8.5% ABV, 15 IBU. Available December 2.
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Double IPA – Available at the brewery’s anniversary party on December 7.
- Imperial Stout – Available at the brewery’s anniversary party on December 7, along with infusion options.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- BA Imperial Chocolate Truffle – Lupulin’s Chocolate Imperial Porter, aged in both whiskey and red barrels and then blended. Bottles go on sale Black Friday, Nov. 29. 11% ABV.
- BA William the Conqueror – A 12% ABV barleywine, aged in port wine barrels. Bottles are $15 and go on sale November 29.
- Coffee Shop Assault Vehicle – This upcoming release is an imperial stout infused with bourbon barrel-aged coffee beans. 12% ABV.
- DDH Blissful Ignorance – A 9% ABV double dry-hopped double IPA. “On the horizon,” the brewery says.
- Javatized Mixed-Pack – A variety pack of coffee stouts will soon be available, Lupulin says, featuring: Javatized, Mochatized, Nillatized, and Cinnatized.
- Keep the Change Ya Filthy Animal – A Red Cow “Cowlaboration” double IPA that will pour at 8%. Coming soon, according to the most recent Lupulin newsletter.
- Make IPA Piney Again – A 7% ABV IPA that the brewery says is coming in the near future in cans, on draft, and in Crowlers.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Shook Blueberry – The latest Shook series fruited Modist release is inspired by blueberry pie and hits draft and liquor stores next week.
Tilion Brewing Co.
- T-1 Cranberry Belgian Single – Available in bottles on November 23, just in time for pairing with Thanksgiving dinner.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Mint Patties Double Stout – Tin Whiskers has teamed up with Pearson’s once again for another candy-inspired beer. Available on Nov. 18 in liquor stores and on tap on November 22, this is a silky sweet stout inspired by Pearson’s Mint Patties.
Town Hall Brewery
- Festivus 2019 – An English ale with toasted caramel, nuts, chocolate, and milk sugar, aged on roasted chestnuts. 6% ABV and on tap next Monday.
- Grinch’s Grog – An American pale ale for the holidays, with oats used for its silky texture, followed by hop-derived pineapple and orange flavors. 5.3% ABV. Available on Monday, November 18.
Urban Forage Winery & Ciderhouse
- Honey Toast – A cider sweetened with caramelized honey, scheduled to debut around Thanksgiving. 6.5% ABV, 22-ounce bottles.
- O Tannin Bomb – A limited release high-tannin cider made from Redfield cider apples and crabapples. 6% ABV, 22-ounce bottles.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Great Decay – An English-style barleywine that spent nine months in Four Roses Single Barrel bourbon barrels. Wild Mind says to expect caramel, nougat, and prune flavors, with robust bourbon character and complex notes of caramel and burnt brown sugar. 13.0% ABV, available November 29.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.