With over 150 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up-to-date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
There’s only one thing we can say for certain about the weather this spring: it’s good weather for drinking beer. As the snow melts (again) and we look forward to rumors of sunnier days where the snowblower collects dust in the back of the garage, there are plenty of new beers to enjoy.
There are new traditionally-inspired beers like English milds and an imperial hefeweizen on the market, plus fruited beers and a whole subgenre of 4/20-inspired releases and parties across the state. Those beers range in style from smoked ales to stout and dank IPAs.
In beer celebrations, Inbound celebrates their second anniversary, HeadFlyer marks their first, and new breweries are opening to the public for the first time in Prior Lake (Boathouse Brothers) and Hastings (Spiral Brewery).
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Fitger’s Brewhouse Homegrown Hempen Ale
Hempen Ale returns for its 18th consecutive year at the Brewhouse.“Brewed once a year for the Homegrown Music Festival, this is a full-bodied amber ale made with ground hemp seeds. Well-hopped and strong, this is what we like to call ‘The Gateway Beer,’ says the brewery. 6.5 ABV, 64 IBU.
Lupulin Straight Hash Homie
Made with 100 percent Lupulin powder, Straight Hash Homie is “Bursting with flavors of fresh tropical fruit, with a soft bitterness,” Lupulin says. 7.7% ABV, 60 IBU, and available only at the brewery and Lake Liquors in Big Lake this weekend. It hits metro stores next week in 16-ounce cans.
Eastlake Creedence Tapes
Eastlake Craft Brewery, located in Midtown Global Market, is releasing three hazy IPAs inspired, you might say, by today’s date. Creedence Tapes, is one of these hazy IPAs and features Mosaic hop hash for your 4/20 pleasure. Stop down to the taproom for a glass or a growler.
Bad Habit Rather Ripped
St. Joseph’s Bad Habit Brewing is tapping a blood orange milkshake IPA today, April 20. Rather Ripped, appropriately named for 4/20, is hazy affair with orange and vanilla notes dominating the flavor. You’ll have to stop into the taproom for a glass of this one though.
Oliphant smoked wheat erryday
This smoked wheat ale from Somerset, Wisconsin’s Oliphant Brewing is made with pineapple, chipotle peppers, lactose, and Citra hops. Now on tap and in Crowlers for 4/20, it’s in limited supply.
New beers available this week (April 16 – April 22)
- Blood Orange Cream Ale
- Vienna Session IPA
12welve Eyes Brewing
- Apricot Cobbler Cream Ale – A cream ale made with apricot puree and cinnamon.
- Arnold – A new kettle sour with added lemon and black tea.
- Blunt Stout – To debut on Saturday April 20. Made with Zeus hops grown by Mighty Axe.
- Hempseed Brown Ale – “A toasty brown ale with a medium body, we added hemp seed to this balanced brown ale for roasted and nutty notes,” the brewery says. On tap today. 5.1% ABV.
- IPA – A new IPA recipe from 612 will soon replace SIX pale ale. “The hoppy India pale ale is brewed with pale and Vienna malt along with oatmeal for a malt backbone yet delicate mouth feel,” the brewery says. At 7.0% ABV, 60 IBU, IPA will be available year round, including in the brewery’s upcoming multi-pack this spring.
- Session Dark – This roasty and sessionable dark beer with notes of chocolate, coffee, and caramel, will be sold in the multi-pack along with IPA, Unrated Rye IPA, and Gateway Park Lager. 3.9% ABV, 10 IBU.
Able Seedhouse + Brewery
- Your Mom Goes To College – A taproom only hazy IPA, tapped a week ago today with added strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, and vanilla.
- High Coup – It’s the second time Ale Asylum has made this fruit-forward IPA with a measured bitterness, and the first time it’s crossed state lines into Minnesota. Available at 20 select venues for $4 pints on 4/20.
August Schell Brewing Co.
- 1879 Kulmbacher Export – Stag Series #12 is “bock-like in strength with a pronounced hop bitterness,” the brewery says.
Bad Habit Brewing Company
- Spring Ale – Tapped on Wednesday this light and crisp beer uses rye malt and spice to make it extra refreshing.
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- Do You Think This Is A Game? – New today, this beer is a double milkshake IPA with vanilla and strawberry. 8.2% ABV.
- Red Hot X – The latest Infusion Series release by Bemidji is inspired by Red Hots candy and features cinnamon and hot peppers. Coming April 20 to the taproom.
Blue Wolf Brewing Co.
- Azacca Pale Ale – Azacca hops will be the first featured ingredient in a new four-part series of hop-focused pale ales.
Boathouse Brothers Brewing Co.
This new brewery will celebrate their grand opening on April 20–21 with the following beers:
- Amber Ale
- Belgian saison
- Dry Irish stout
- Limnion Cream Lager
- Mexican-style lager
- SMASH IPA
- Thermocline Cream Ale
- White IPA
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
- Constitution Cream Ale
Copper Trail Brewing Company
- Midwest Midnight with Pasilla Chile Peppers – Cabin Fever Series Week 5 release is Copper Trail’s chocolatey Midwest Midnight stout infused with pasilla (“little raisin” in Spanish) chile peppers. On tap this Saturday.
Day Block Brewing Company
- Back 40s Session IPA – A new Bands That Brew release, this beer is a tropical session IPA. “Azacca, El Dorado and Caliente give this beer the flavors and aroma of mango, papaya, passion fruit, and oranges,” the brewery says. 4.8% ABV, 75 IBU.
Eastlake Craft Brewery
- Creedence Tapes – Top Flight selection.
- Dankenstein’s Monster – This concoction combines four different hop varieties in a single beer.
- Electric Mayhem – A Vermont-style IPA featuring Simcoe hops.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- JW Lee 1959 Lager MN – For this Thursday release, Fair State re-creates a historic recipe with bready, grassy with lemon notes, according to the brewery.
FINNEGANS Brew Co
- Tile Factory Mosaic India Pale Ale – The first taproom only release from Finnegans’ new Minneapolis location.
California’s renowned Firestone Walker entered Minnesota this week.
Their in-state lineup includes:
- Bretta Rosé, Batch Five – Made with 10,000 pounds of fresh raspberries and fermented in oak foeders. “Bracing acidity leads to a dry, refreshing finish with a hint of effervescence,” the brewery says.
- Firestone Lager – Now available in Firestone Walker’s current markets, this is an easy to drink yet flavorful lager.
- Sour Opal
- Stickee Monkee
HeadFlyer celebrates one year in business with three special releases:
- BAMF’D – “A new release of our single barrel imperial stout, aged in a Knob Creek single barrel for six months,” the brewery says. On tap this Saturday.
- Dreamshake – “A milkshake version of our Juicy IPA. Infused with lactose, Madagascar vanilla beans and orange zest,” the brewery says.
- Heavy D – A juicy double IPA.
Inbound’s second anniversary party has been announced for the weekend of April 20.
The following beers will be on tap, each named with a nod to 4/20 culture:
- Conifer Crush – The sticky IPA returns.
- Doped Up Safety Committee – A dry-hopped version of Inbound’s citrusy IPA.
- Juicy Lucy – A brand new hazy ale.
- Lit Kolsch – Infused with lemon.
- Peanut Butter Brownie Milk Stout
- Laser Loon – A new Kölsch-style ale with honey and grain notes to complement a subtle, crisp lemon.
- NoLo Pale Ale – New in cans and available year-round.
In another April 20 event, Insight is hosting a Dankbot party with several casks to be tapped.
- 4.20X Dry Hopped Mega Dankbot
- Mango OG Kushbot
- Purple Sticky Punchbot
- Sour Dieselbot
- Double Downwind – This big barrel-aged imperial stout is 11.6% ABV and is described as “roasty, toasty, a reason to, ahh, boast-y.”
Lost Sanity Brewing
- Manic Black Lager – The first lager produced by this new Madelia brewery. “Manic Black Lager is a light body black lager with a good balance of roast and malt backed with a subtle noble hop character. The German Lager yeast let the malts and hops shine through leaving clean and crisp finish on the palate,” the brewery says. 4.8% ABV.
- Wits End Double IPA – A modest malt bill and over five pounds of hops per barrel define this floral, citrus, and resinous pine-forward double IPA. 8.3% ABV.
- Choo Choo Juice – A tropical and bitter IPA, tapped on Wednesday. “Slightly tart and immensely juicy,” the brewery says. 6.7% ABV, 58 IBU.
- smoked wheat rrryday – Top Flight selection.
- ima crighty pooster – Milkshake IPA.
- boodoir – Barrel-aged doppelbock.
Portage Brewing Company
- Oh, Peaches! – This new beer, coming on April 21, is made with peaches, coconut, vanilla, lactose sugar, and a lot of hops that give a stone fruit impression.
A new brewery is opening in downtown Hastings today with six flagships on tap:
- Downward Spiral IPA
- Hard Left Stout
- Oliver’s Grove Pale Ale
- The LeDuc Red IPA
- The Bottoms Porter
- Töwnie Kolsch
Steel Toe Brewing
- Dark Rye Lager – Tapped last Friday.
Summit Brewing Company
- Skip Rock – This is a white ale brewed with tangerine peel and fresh-ground coriander. Summit says, “slightly sweet and just a little tart beneath the surface, it offers notes of cereal and biscuit, plus a touch of clove and a crisp, refreshing finish.” Skip Rock debuted at the Beer Hall on April 19 and will later be released in the Boundary Waters Box variety pack along with Hefeweizen, Golden Fruited, and Summit Lazy Sipper.
Surly Brewing Company
- Coconut vanilla Overrated cask – Available in the Beer Hall for Cask Saturday, April 21.
Tilion Brewing Company
- Death’s Door Cherry Wheat
- Lake Andrew Common
Venn Brewing Company
- British Mild – On tap now, this is a malt-forward British pub-style ale at 4.5% ABV, 18 IBU.
- West Coast IPA – “Tropical fruit, light pine, dry” the brewery says. 7.5% ABV, 70 IBU.
Waconia Brewing Company
- East Bay Smoked Maple Brown Ale – Tapped today.
- Raspberry Blonde
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Abandoned Acre – A new bottle released coolship-inoculated saison. This one spent 18 months in barrels. “Abandoned Acre packs loads of farmhouse funk alongside notes of citrus, oak, and black pepper,” the brewery says. Bottles release at 12pm on Saturday.
- Loco Gringo – A new distribution-only beer from Wild Mind, this fruited ale has mango, lime peel, and Serrano peppers added throughout the process. “The resulting beer is tropically refreshing with mango and lime notes accompanied by a light and welcoming pepper finish,” the brewery says.
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Mango Strut – A new kettle sour fermented with strawberries and mangos. 4.1% ABV and available in take-home Crowlers.
- Skipper – An English mild served on nitro. 3.9% ABV.
Seasonal or rotating returns
Bad Habit Brewing Company
- Rather Ripped – Top Flight selection.
Badger Hill Brewing
- Hop Hill Pale Ale
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- DDH Raindrops – On tap now and made with Nelson Sauvin hops.
- Hopsoulution – DIPA returns to 6-packs and draft lines.
- Isabel Street Heat 2018 – It’s not a beer, but it’s made with one. On Saturday, Bent will release this Sriracha sauce in yet another collaboration with local hot sauce company Isabel Street Heat, fermented in the barrels used for their 2017 Dark Fatha imperial stout.
- Big Fat Hefe – An imperial hefeweizen with notes of banana, cloves, smoke and vanilla, the brewery says. 8.7% ABV.
Eastlake Craft Brewery
- Sun Dogs – This juicy Citra-hopped IPA was tapped for a limited time last Friday.
Fargo Brewing Company
- Gigahops Double IPA – Tapping today for an April 20 party.
- Haze Craze Session IPA
- Homegrown Hempen Ale – Hempen Ale returns for its 18th consecutive year at Fitger’s.
Great Lakes Brewing Company
- Chillwave Double IPA – “Earthy, tropical Mosaic hops ride frontside here, followed by a deft cutback of sweet honey malt,” the brewery says. 9.0% ABV, 80 IBU.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Shenanigans Summer Ale – Now available in 12-pack samplers, with a bigger release coming in May.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- NE Style Experimental IPA – “This West Coast style IPA showcases Mosaic hops which give the beer a kaleidoscope of citrus and tropical fruit aromas and flavor! This beer starts out with aromas of mango and pineapple followed by hints of berry and a solid bitter presence,” Junkyard says.
- Peanut Butter Bandit – Available in Crowlers in the Twin Cities. 6.4% ABV, 25 IBU.
- Bam Nectar – The heavily dry-hopped pale ale returns. 5.5% ABV, 45 IBU.
- Straight Hash Homie – Top Flight selection.
- Hopbiscus – A spring seasonal brewed with hibiscus flowers for a rose color and tart notes.
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- The Embargo – A Cigar Series brown ale.
- lizardize mariguanas – Hazy IPA back in limited supply
Beers just announced
Bald Man Brewing
- Hush Honey Kolsch – This Kölsch-style ale with be Bald Man’s first seasonal release to come out in cans. Coming in late June.
Barley John’s Brewing Company
- Mango Double Pale – Returning on May 5.
- Dark Fatha 2017 – A single keg will be tapped at the Brewstillery on May 4, also known as Star Wars Day.
Jack Pine Brewery
- Kettle Sour – In development, as of April 12.
Surly Brewing Company
- Cherry Pentagram infusion – Coming for Infusion Tuesday at the Beer Hall on April 24.
- Hibiscus Xtra-Citra – Coming for Cask Saturday at the beer hall on April 28.
- Frisson – “This sparkling wine-inspired lager, with notes of green apple, blackcurrant, and grapefruit, is the rosiest, fizziest thing we brew,” Surly says. On tap at the Beer Hall on April 25.
- Rose – Crisp and pint, brewed with currants and strawberries and a fitting spring beer, on tap at the beer hall on April 25.
Third Street Brewhouse
- Sun Seeker Shandy
Tilion Brewing Company
- Island Bliss – On deck, the brewery says, is a coconut vanilla stout.
- Scorpius Morchella – 2018 is the first time Toppling Goliath has bottled this double IPA.
u4ic Brewing, Incorporated
- Maibock – On tap at u4ic’s Maifest celebration, May 5.
- Springbock – “A light-hued, malty brew in the heller bock style. This beer has a rich body with a clean dry finish, reminiscent of our Receptional lager from last fall but a bit sweeter and stronger,” the brewery says. Out at 3pm today. 6.8% ABV.
Venn Brewing Company
- Grapefruit IPA – “Grapefruit from hops, grapefruit from grapefruit,” says Venn. 6.7% ABV, 65 IBU.
- Simcoe Keller Pils – 5.5% ABV, 40 IBU, coming soon.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.