With over 185 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
This week in beer is marked by a lot of unique collaborations, including a fundraiser for the Lions Club SightFirst Grant Program, along with special beers made for the Motion City Soundtrack reunion and even a beloved local musician’s D&D club.
Style-wise, new beers this week include a Scotch barrel-aged wee heavy, Vienna lager, cream ale, barleywine, and a range of IPAs from double-hopped to Midwest-balanced to fruited and soured. New Zealand hops and kveik yeast continue to be popular, as well as lactose, fruits, barrel-aged beers and more.
Dangerous Man celebrated seven years with some taproom events this week, and u4ic and Utepils both celebrate anniversaries this weekend.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Boom Island Kollusion
The overseas collaboration with Belgian brewery Brouwerij Maenhout returns today—a Russian imperial stout with chocolate and coffee.
Lupulin Falls Amber
“Falls Amber, one of the first in our new Sioux Falls lineup, is brewed in the style of a Scottish 80 Shilling,” Lupulin says. “At 4.5% ABV and 15 IBU, it’s easy-drinking [and] malt-forward, with a complex bready, biscuity and crackery flavor.” It debuts today at the official ribbon-cutting ceremony for Lupulin’s new Sioux Falls brewery and taproom.
Modist Tabletop Session
A Dungeons & Dragons-themed session ale was brewed in collaboration with musician jeremy messersmith and his D&D group. A release party will take place at the brewery on February 16 with proceeds going toward the ACLU.
Schell’s Static Transmission
The latest Starkeller beer, “Static Transmission pours a hazy gold in color and is bursting with the aromas of fresh wildflowers, lemons and pineapple. Oats lend a rich, creamy mouthfeel over a bright, sweet and sour character,” the brewery says.
The 6.8% ABV, 36 IBU heller bock is back for Utepils’ third anniversary on Saturday, February 1. The malt-forward beer has toasty baked bread flavors accented by a mild spice derived from the use of Tettnanger hops.
New beers available this week (January 27–February 2)
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Business Time – A hazy IPA made with Wakatu hops.
Barley John’s Brewpub
- Hot & Spicy Wild Brunette – The brewery tapped a spiced variant of its flagship wild rice brown ale last week in New Brighton.
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- Blood Orange Gose – A gose with blood orange and sea salt, tapped last week.
- Light Hearted – This is a low-calorie IPA that Bell’s says is “balanced, flavorful, hoppy and only 3.7% ABV.” 110 calories.
- Official – A seasonal hazy IPA sold in cans and on draft.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Extra Baked – A barrel-aged pastry stout that taps at the brewery on Saturday and hits liquor stores next week.
Birch’s On The Lake
- American IPA – “Our classic west coast IPA with Simcoe and Mosaic hops has returned to the lineup,” Birch’s says.
Boom Island Brewing Co.
- Kollusion – Top Flight entry
Brau Brothers Brewing Co.
- Westwood Brew – A milkshake IPA that pours at 7.2% ABV, 53 IBU.
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
- M.A.S. IPA – A new 7% ABV, 82 IBU Midwest IPA whose full name is Mighty Axe Swinger. Made with local Cascade and Triple Pearl Hops, this IPA offers grapefruit, citrus, floral, perfume, and black pepper notes.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Big Ron – A hazy IPA made with oats and wheat for a soft body, plus a blend of Lotus, Strata, Idaho 7, and Cascade Cryo hops for stone fruit, melon, and clementine flavors. 8.1% ABV and on tap as the brewery celebrates seven years this week.
Fat Pants Brewing Co.
- Hunnay Bear Brown Ale – 6.5% ABV
Fergus Brewing Co.
- Fergus Velvet – A new line of hard seltzers available at the Fergus Falls brewery, currently in grapefruit and raspberry flavors.
Founders Brewing Co.
- Devil Dancer – A 12.0% ABV triple IPA with a complex blend of hops. This is a limited Mothership Series release.
- Chocolate Factory – “Brewed with a smooth base of chocolate malt, this sweet stout features lactose which provides a creamy, chocolate finish,” the brewery says. 7.5% ABV, 6 IBU.
Hop & Barrel Brewing Co.
- Scaredy Pie – A kettle sour with Key limes that the brewery describes as “A sweet, tart dessert beer.” The second release in the Kettle Sour Series. 6% ABV.
- Batch 135E Belgian Ale – A new small batch offering. “This is a slightly hoppy and floral Belgian ale with a little bit of heat at 7.3% ABV,” Imminent says.
- Barrel Aged English Barleywine – A 2018 barleywine aged in rye whiskey barrels. On tap at the brewery now.
- English Barleywine – “Malty and sweet, this 2017 beast has been mellowing out and developing English toffee notes, just waiting for the right time to make its appearance,” the brewery says.
- Gose – “A tart and fruity wheat ale with lingering coriander and sea salt characteristics. Refreshing, bright flavors compliment the tart kick,” the brewery says. .4.5% ABV, 20 IBU.
- Mocha Stout – A stout infused with coffee and milk chocolate.
- Lord of the Loch – A 6.3% ABV, 72 IBU hazy IPA brewed with Citra, Amarillo, and El Dorado hops and fermented with Hornidal Kviek hops. Available at the taproom now and coming to liquor stores in 16-ounce cans next week.
Inver Grove Brewing Co.
- Pago Pago – An 8.1% ABV, 75 IBU beer with big pineapple flavors.
- Walkable Brown Ale – An English-style brown ale at 4.7% ABV.
- Belgian Dubbel 0101 – Dark reddish-brown in color, this is a malt-sweet beer with fruity and spicy esters. 7.3% ABV, 18 IBU.
- Doppelbock 0101 – Light brown in color with roasted caramel notes and a dry finish. 9.2% ABV, 19 IBU.
- Passion Fruit Light Lager 0101 – Notes of passionfruit, plus tropical and citrus notes with more passionfruit and grain on the nose, the brewery says. 4.3% ABV, 8 IBU.
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Pillow Fight – The fifth release in Lakes & Legends’ Hazy IPA series is a double dry-hopped Mosaic, Simcoe, Amarillo, and Ekuanot IPA with pineapple, kiwi, and cotton candy flavors. 7.3% ABV with a pillowy mouthfeel, the brewery says.
- Prickly Nibbler – The 5.7% ABV 33 IBU IPA is back on tap now.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Falls Amber – Top Flight entry
- 20/20 ESP – An American take on an extra special bitter with caramel tones, melon aromatics, and notes of nuts and smoke with a nod toward fans of sweet, malt-forward beers. Released to introduce the Canned for the Helping Hand series, this beer raises funds for the Lions Club SightFirst Grant Program and will be sold in 4-packs.
- The Last Straw – A Belgian-style blonde ale with “clove-like notes, straw-like color, smooth light-body, and an easy finish,” the brewery says.
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Czech Dark Lager – A newly tapped rich and dark lager with smooth chocolate character, the brewery says.
ONE Fermentary & Taproom
- Ship of Fools – A roasty Baltic porter with chocolate flavors.
Oskar Blues Brewery
- Slow Chill – A new Vienna lager and the first in a new rotating lager series from Oskar Blues, who also recently updated can art for the entire portfolio.
Pantown Brewing Company
- Exile Saison – A new classic style saison that tapped on Wednesday.
- Static Transmission – Top Flight entry
- Viking Space Probe – “A huge mix of tropical fruit, especially pineapple and sweet guava, along with lime zest and a hint of cilantro,” Stone says of this new 8.5% ABV, 80 IBU IPA.
Talking Waters Brewing Co.
- Rainbow Road – A sour IPA with strawberries and black currant and pink in color. 7.1% ABV.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Kapow – A mango smoothie sour, on tap at the brewery today.
u4ic Brewing, Inc.
- Car Show Blackberry Blowout – On tap for u4ic’s fourth anniversary this weekend, this special version of Car Show American ale has added blackberries. 5.5% ABV.
Union 32 Craft House
- Black Dog Porter – On tap now, this porter uses English malt and Willamette hops to combine for chocolate, light roast, and earthy notes with a hint of alcohol warmth, the brewery says.
- Bug Juice – A West Coast-style IPA with bitter and resinous flavors. 7.4% ABV, 61 IBU.
- East by West – This is described as a “drier version of an East Coast-style IPA” that blends IPA boundaries.
- Puck Drop Pale Ale – A pale ale with fresh pine and citrus notes, plus caramel malts. One dollar of each pint will be donated to the Sibley Area Youth Hockey Association.
Urban Forage Winery and Cider House
This week is Fruit Cider Week, with a previously announced lineup including:
- Blackcurrant Cider
- Cherry Blush
- Pear Cider
- Vin de Pomme – A new offering made from red grape pomace and dry cider.
- Springbok – Top Flight entry
Venn Brewing Company
- Batch #281 Munich Helles – A local take on the classic Munich helles-style lager, featuring German malts, hops, and yeast.
- Batch #285 Citratalus Double NEIPA – “A New England-style double IPA featuring Citra, Strata, and Lotus hops,” Venn says.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Sympathy Pounds – A traditional Scotch ale with robust caramel and bready malt flavors, the brewery says, but aged in 5-year Laphroaig Single Malt Scotch barrels, which add peat and smokey notes. 8.0% ABV, 25 IBU. imported from Scotland. Available at the brewery only.
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Double Berry Swirl – A 6.5% ABV ale brewed with blueberries, raspberries, lactose, and vanilla. Dessert in a glass, the brewery explains.
- HoneyComb – A 6% ABV cream ale with local wildflower honey and lactose.
Beers just announced
Able Seedhouse + Brewery
- Modern Chemistry – A hazy pale ale brewed in collaboration with Motion City Soundtrack and dry-hopped with Motueka and Azacca hops. Available at the brewery on February 7, and also to be sold at liquor stores and at the band’s upcoming dates at The Fillmore February 16–17.
- Mosh – A SMaSH ale with Maris Otter malt and Idaho 7 hops was recently brewed.
The Bell’s 2020 calendar was announced. Bell’s celebrates its 30th anniversary with the Funvitational Beer Festival on September 12.
The brewery lineup in this upcoming year includes:
- Best Brown
- Bright White – 2019’s batch will be sold into March.
- Cherry Stout – A Christmas-time Scotch ale.
- Double Two Hearted – An 11% ABV double version of the classic pale ale. Available again in August.
- Expedition Stout – Russian imperial stout
- Flamingo Fruit Fight – A tart gose with passionfruit and lime zest. Available in July.
- Incessant – This is a New England-style double IPA that will be sold in 16-ounce cans in May.
- Lampshade Party Ale – A double IPA that was previously sold in 2018.
- Oberon – The iconic American wheat ale returns on March 23.
- Octoberfest – A Märzen lager
- Special Double Cream Stout – A sweet stout
- Third Coast Old Ale – A barleywine
- Spring IPA – Bemidji’s spring IPA returns next week on Friday, February 7.
Big Wood Brewery
- Chocolate-Raspberry Black Anvil – The featured beer at Big Wood’s upcoming 6th anniversary of its White Bear Lake taproom party on February 8–9.
- Whiskey Barrel Barleywine – Aged in 16-year-old George Dickel whiskey barrels, Birch’s has a barrel-aged barleywine coming soon.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Barrel Aged Belgian Tripel – Coming in bottles on February 13.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Vienna Lager – The one-time flagship is back for a limited time beginning next week, February 3.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Tabletop Session – Top Flight entry
Pantown Brewing Company
- Raspberry Sweet Dreams – A new dessert-style beer that taps on February 5.
Town Hall Brewery
- Bob-house Bock – A cold-fermented German-style traditional bock that Town Hall describes as malt-forward with biscuit, honey, caramel, and fruit notes. 6.9% ABV and available on Monday, February 3.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.