With over 185 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
With Thanksgiving indulgence on the horizon, many breweries are releasing cozy holiday seasonals with ingredients like cranberries, spice, and chocolate, plus a number of big, boozy, barrel-aged options. Immediately following Thanksgiving is perhaps a bigger beer holiday: Black Friday, when beer drinkers line up for special-release barrel-aged bottles.
The Mash-Up will be taking Thanksgiving week off, so plan accordingly by reviewing not just what’s new this week, but also by planning ahead on your holiday gift list with some of those special beers to debut next week. So pick up an old favorite, try something new, and take a moment to reflect and be thankful.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Bad Weather Barbados Rum Barrel Aged Immortal Toast
Immortal Toast white stout with chocolate, coffee, and vanilla, then aged in rum barrels for 14 months. A limited supply will be sold in 750-milliliter bottles.
Foxhole Brewhouse The Hunted
An English barleywine and gold medal winner at the 2019 U.S. Beer Open, tapped last week at the Willmar brewery.
Inbound BrewCo Hallucidation
A Belgian-style tripel fermented with Frontenac grapes. “Brewed somewhere in the valley between beer and wine, Halucidation is a hybrid temptation of mind-tripping proportions.,” the brewery says. 14% ABV, and available both on draft and in bottles. The taproom will serve a limited 5-year vertical.
Steel Toe Lunker
A 12.6% ABV English-style barleywine that was barrel-aged, giving it toffee, vanilla, whiskey, fig, and oak flavors.
Pryes Lost Moon: 2019 Barrel-Aged Edition
Lost Moon Russian imperial stout, offering chocolate, roasted malt, and candi sugar flavors with a smooth, dry finish, then aged in bourbon barrels for added flavors of espresso, oak, and toffee. Available this Saturday.
New beers available this week (November 18–November 24)
- Barrel Aged Batch #500 – Released in limited supply.
- Barrel Aged Wendigo – Released in limited supply.
- Odin’s Honey Buzz – A 5.5% ABV blonde ale with local basswood honey.
Alloy Brewing Company
- The Rivet – This IPA is back on tap now, following a long hiatus.
- What Happened?! Bourbon Cream – A bourbon vanilla cream ale that the brewery says pours at 7.0% ABV, 11 IBU with smooth, sweet flavors, aged on oak staves.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Barbados Rum Barrel Aged Immortal Toast – Immortal Toast white stout with chocolate, coffee, and vanilla, then aged in rum barrels for 14 months. A limited supply will be sold in 750-milliliter bottles.
- Common Misconceptions – A California common with toast, biscuit, and floral hop notes.
- Immortal Toast – The infused white stout with coffee, chocolate, and vanilla is back with both the original recipe, brewed in memory of a brewery owner’s father, plus a barrel-aged limited batch.
Bald Man Brewing
- Peace Frog – A French-style saison.
- Loop – An export stout, tapped at the brewery last week.
- Bright White – A rebrand of Winter White Belgian-inspired wheat ale. It pours at 5% ABV.
- American Pale Ale – “This one is a classic, easy drinking pale ale with a Vienna malt base. Hopped with Centennial and Comet,” the brewery says. 5.0% ABV
- Pull Tabs – “Our hazy house pale ale rears it’s not-so-ugly head again, this time chock full of Strata, Citra Cryo, and Idaho 7,” the brewery says. 5.9% ABV.
Block North Brewpub
- Screaming Goat – A malt-forward, lightly hopped doppelbock, tapped last week.
Copper Trail Brewing Company
- Lucky Red – A ginger-infused version of the Irish red ale taps at the brewery on Saturday, November 23.
- Orange Hopshake – A milkshake IPA that makes its debut at the brewery today.
- Seeing Double – A double IPA with lactose, with both citrus flavors and a soft, sweet texture, the brewery says.
Dual Citizen Brewing Company
- From the Vault – An altbier with slight fruity and toffee notes, the brewery says. Pouring with a medium body and finishing clean and dry. 5.2% ABV, 30 IBU.
Fargo Brewing Company
- Ales for ALS – A West Coast-style IPA that donates a portion of sales to fighting ALS.
- Blueberry Snozzbeer – A blueberry kettle sour that balances sweet and tart flavors.
- Farm Fresh Wet Hop IPA – A wet-hopped IPA made with hops grown near Fargo.
Fergus Brewing Co.
- Stay A’While IPA – A new IPA, available at the brewery. One dollar from each pint will benefit the Lake Region Cancer Center and Lupulin Brewing’s JZ Cancer Fund.
Founders Brewing Co.
- Civilized Brut – A brut IPA released amid the haze craze, this is a bubby, crisp IPA with a malt sweetness that is followed by bold, but not overpowering, hop notes. 6% ABV.
- The Hunted – An English barleywine and gold medal winner at the 2019 U.S. Beer Open, tapped last week at the Willmar brewery.
- Hopped Sparkling Water – A non-alcoholic and gluten-free, zero-calorie sparkling water is on tap at Fulton’s taproom, but with the added flavors and aromas of hops.
- Jameson Barrel-Aged Brown – Fulton’s first brown ale is malt-forward but balanced and aged in Jameson whiskey barrels, which give “hints of vanilla and oak flavors. It is medium-bodied and will surprise you with its smooth texture, clean finish, and overall drinkability,” Fulton says.
- Coconut BAMF’D – One of two BAMF’D releases this week, this is a toasted coconut variant aged in Buffalo Trace bourbon barrels.
- Vanilla BAMF’D – The second of two BAMF’D releases this week, this is a variant aged in Buffalo Trace bourbon barrels with whole vanilla beans.
- Halucidation – A Belgian-style tripel fermented with Frontenac grapes. “Brewed somewhere in the valley between beer and wine, Halucidation is a hybrid temptation of mind-tripping proportions.,” the brewery says. 14% ABV, and available both on draft and in bottles. The taproom will serve a limited 5-year vertical.
- Barrel-Aged Scout Camp – A barrel-aged imperial s’mores porter.
- Everyday Carry – “This cocktail inspired sour was conditioned on pounds of lemon zest, lifting the citrus flavors and brightening the toasted malts. Then, slick sweet cherry and a slight almond nuttiness round out the flavor, resembling the likeness of freshly baked lemon almond bars,” Junkyard says.
- Huncho’s Next Haircut – A fruited sour, with over 900 pounds of passionfruit and apricot, with oats to give a creamy texture atop the sour flavors.
- Muir – Delivered in Crowlers last weekend, this is a dry-hopped foeder sour featuring Galaxy hops.
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Cranberry Saison – A fall seasonal defined by refreshing, bright, and crisp notes. Made with Minnesota-harvested cranberries.
LocAle Brewing Company
- Dunkel – This dunkel was made with German malt, then lightly hopped with Mighty Axe-grown Triple Pearl hops. The beer has smooth bready malt character with a hint of roast, the brewery says, and pours at 5% ABV, 15 IBU.
Mineral Spring Brewery
A new brewery recently opened in Owatonna, with taps including:
- Amber Lager
- Cream Ale
- Irish stout
- Scotch ale
Pryes Brewing Company
- Lost Moon: 2019 Barrel-Aged Edition – Lost Moon Russian imperial stout, offering chocolate, roasted malt, and candi sugar flavors with a smooth, dry finish, then aged in bourbon barrels for added flavors of espresso, oak, and toffee. Available this Saturday.
- Lost Moon: 2019 Barrel-Aged Edition (Brewer’s Reserve) – A special, single-barrel variant of Barrel-Aged Lost Moon, hand-selected by Jeremy Pryes. Available in limited supplies at 2pm on Saturday.
Roets Jordan Brewery
- Cherry – Cherry/Apple Sour, 6.9% ABV, 6 IBU.
- IPA Infusion – A tropical blood orange IPA, 6.6% ABV, 55 IBU
- Roets IPA – A hazy session IPA with Citra hops that pours at 4.8% ABV, 45 IBU
- Roets Rye – A red rye IPA, 6.2% ABV, 65 IBU
- Roets Sour – A tropical gose, 5% ABV, 9 IBU
- Stout Infusion – A coffee-infused milk stout, 5.8% ABV, 22 IBU
- Polar Inferno – A milkshake IPA made with raspberry, blueberry, and habanero. 6.8% ABV, 3 IBU.
- Hazy Haus – “Very hazy due to the oats, wheat, and large dry-hopping,” the brewery says. “The aroma is heavy with tropical fruits like mango and papaya. There is a really nice soft full mouthfeel from the oats and the addition of lactose gives the beer a little sweetness.” 6.4% ABV, 35 IBU.
- Stock Photos – On tap tomorrow, this IPA is named with a wink toward the multitude of IPAs on the shelf today. Made with a Citra, Mosaic, and Amarillo hops, it taps on Saturday at noon.
- Monster Spira-Graff – Made in collaboration with Lake Monster, this is an apple beer that pours at 4.9% ABV.
Steel Toe Brewing
- Lunker – A 12.6% ABV English-style barleywine that was barrel-aged, giving it toffee, vanilla, whiskey, fig, and oak flavors.
Surly Brewing Company
- Magic Formula for Peace – Out now, the latest BC Small Batch Series release is a coffee imperial stout with citrus, made in collaboration with Mikerphone and Modist and pouring at 10.1% ABV.
Tanzenwald Brewing Company
- Oud Bruin – A sour brown aged on cherries and whiskey barrel staves from Minnesota’s Loon Liquors. Part of the Funky Dunk sour series.
Tilion Brewing Co.
- T-1 Cranberry Belgian Single – Available in bottles on Saturday, November 23, just in time to pair with Thanksgiving dinner.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Mint Patties Double Stout – Tin Whiskers has teamed up with Pearson’s once again for another candy-inspired beer. Available in liquor stores and on tap today, this is a silky sweet stout inspired by Pearson’s Mint Patties.
Town Hall Brewery
- Elves’ Elixir – A Baltic porter with malt-forward flavors of chocolate, coffee, black currant, with hints of anise and molasses.
- Festivus 2019 – An English ale with toasted caramel, nuts, chocolate, and milk sugar, aged on roasted chestnuts. 6% ABV.
- Grinch’s Grog – An American pale ale for the holidays, with oats used for its silky texture, followed by hop-derived pineapple and orange flavors. 5.3% ABV.
Beers just announced
- Barrel Aged Darker Territory – The original Darker Territory stout is out now, with cacao and toasted coconut flavors. On Black Friday, November 23, the brewery will also release Four Roses barrel-aged, Buffalo Trace barrel-aged, and Woodford Reserve barrel-aged varietals.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Barrel Aged White Noise – A Black Friday release, available at 3pm on November 23, this is a barrel-aged white chocolate stout that offers balanced chocolate and bourbon flavors, the brewery says, and pours at 9.2% ABV, 74. Available in limited supply.
- Cherry Cherry Earthshake Milkshake IPA – Available when the brewery opens (11am) on Black Friday, this new beer is a milkshake IPA with equally tart and sweet cherry flavors, the brewery says. 8.4% ABV, 40 IBU.
- Holidaze Old Ale – Available next Wednesday, just before Thanksgiving, this holiday beer has cinnamon and clove spice and pours at 6.2% ABV, 40 IBU.
Back Channel Brewing Co.
- Marc’s Hard Limonade – A 5.0% kettle sour with limoncello cake, available on November 29.
- Soviet Slayer – “Soviet Slayer delivers bold roast followed by moderate coffee and chocolate flavors, with subtle caramel and underlying notes of dark fruit,” the brewery says. 10% ABV, 70 IBU, and available on November 30.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Barrel Aged Calamity – Coming on November 23, Black Friday, this is last year’s Calamity Russian imperial stout, aged in J. Carver whiskey barrels. “Full-bodied with notes of chocolate, roast, and dark fruits,” Bad Weather says.
Big Wood Brewery
- Black Anvil – This imperial stout is 7.9% ABV, 77 IBU with a full body and infused with cacao nibs and vanilla. The end results has hints of dark chocolate, raisin, and plum, the brewery says, reminiscent of a fudge brownie. Available at 12pm on Black Friday.
Block North Brewpub
- Cranberry Wheat – An upcoming guest-brewed cranberry wheat beer, expected to tap in the next few weeks.
Burning Brothers Brewing
- Sriracha Porter – Taps on Wednesday, November 27 at the brewery.
Copper Trail Brewing Company
- Black Betty – An oaked bourbon porter. On tap Wednesday, November 27.
- SmashWerks – This is a mango and habanero-infused SMaSH pale ale that taps that the brewery on Friday, November 29.
- Tiramisu Midwest Midnight – Set to tap on Saturday, November 30 at the brewery, this is a chocolate stout.
Fat Pants Brewing Co.
A new brewery will open in Eden Prairie later this month, officially doing so at 11am on Monday November 25 with the following selection:
- Belgian Dubbel
- Cherry Whit
- Citra IPA
- Centennial IPA
- Hard Lemonade
- Milk Stout
- Mosaic IPA
Founders Brewing Co.
- Frangelic Mountain Brown – A nutty, coffee brown ale at 9% ABV, this was last bottles in 2012. It returns in bottles and on draft in December.
- Chocolate Oatmeal Milk Stout – One of two Holidazzle exclusives, this is a full-bodied chocolate stout that the brewery describes as “incredibly smooth.”
- Goodwill Gold – The second of two Holidazzle exclusives, available in Minneapolis beginning November 29, this is “extremely easy-drinking and familiar…a super light, crispy, un-fussy golden lager that will surely please even the non-craft drinker in your group,” the brewery says.
- Hopped! Hard Seltzer – “It’s crisp, aromatic, and mega-refreshing,” Fulton says of this upcoming new hard seltzer flavor, scheduled to debut in December.
Goose Island Beer Company
Eleven new Bourbon County Stouts will release on Black Friday:
- Bourbon County Stout – Aged in a mix of Heaven Hill, Buffalo Trace, and Wild Turkey barrels,” Goose Island says this “yields a rich, complex mouthfeel. Flavors of cocoa, fudge, vanilla, caramel, almond, plus leather and tobacco, permeate this beer and deepen with each sip.”
- 2-Year Reserve Bourbon County Stout – Aged for 2 years in 11-year-old 25th Anniversary Knob Creek barrels for “oak-forward intensity accented with subtle hazelnut and chocolate notes,” the brewery says.
- Bourbon County Café de Olla Stout – Made in partnership with Intelligensia Coffee, this variant includes coffee beans, cold brew coffee, cassia bark, orange peel, and panela sugar.
- Bourbon County Double Barrel Stout – “This stout was first aged 12 months in 11-year-old Elijah Craig barrels from our friends at Heaven Hill distilleries. We then emptied the beer from those barrels and filled fresh 12-year-old Elijah Craig barrels,” Goose Island explains.
- Bourbon County Mon Chéri Stout – Made with cherries, oats, and brown sugar, this imperial stout is reminiscent of cherry cobbler, the brewery says.
- Bourbon County Stout Vertical Collection – A side-by-side package with 2017, 2018, and 2019 vintages.
- Bourbon County Wheatwine – “This year aged 100% in Larceny wheated bourbon casks from our partners at Heaven Hill. The result is a softer flavor profile, full of caramel, vanilla, butterscotch, and toffee flavors, all while carrying the nuances of Larceny bourbon barrel,” the brewery says.
- Proprietor’s Bourbon County Stout – Described as an homage to variants of years past, this Bourbon County is made with toasted pecans, coconut, cocoa, and vanilla for Tiramisu-like qualities.
- Reserve Rye Bourbon County Stout – Aged in single source bourbon barrels that add fruit and spice flavors.
Lift Bridge Brewing Company
- Double Barrel Gray Duck – A Baltic porter made in collaboration with Goose Island, this was aged in bourbon barrels and has sweet toffee and caramel, plus hints of cherry, vanilla, and smoke, the brewery says. 11.5% ABV, 29 IBU. Bottles go on sale on Black Friday, November 29.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- BA Imperial Chocolate Truffle – Lupulin’s Chocolate Imperial Porter, aged in both whiskey and red barrels and then blended. Bottles go on sale Black Friday, November 29. 11% ABV.
- BA William the Conqueror – A 12% ABV barleywine, aged in port wine barrels. Bottles are $15 and go on sale November 29.
- Dunkel – A German-style dark lager that pours at 5.4% ABV, 25 IBU and is on draft at the brewery.
Pryes Brewing Company
- Citra Snow Caps – A hazy, double dry-hopped double IPA with papaya and pineapple notes over a soft body. The first release in The Cartographer Collection, it debuts at the taproom on Dec. 7 and will later hit bars and liquor stores.
- Czech Pilsner – A new small batch Pilsner debuts at 2pm on November 30 at the taproom. The beer is a traditional style with bright floral and herbal notes with a soft, bitter finish, the brewery says.
Roets Jordan Brewery
- Roets Radler – A cranberry radler makes its debut at the brewery the night before Thanksgiving and will be sold in limited growlers.
- Cave-Aged Barrel-Aged – Coming soon, Schell’s recently teased on social media.
Spilled Grain Brewhouse
- Cousin Eddie – Available at the brewery on Saturday November 30.
Town Hall Brewery
- Famarillo – An easy-drinking IPA with “flowery citrus and sweet subtle pine hop character in finish,” Town Hall says. It pours at 6.5% ABV and is named after its hop ingredients, namely Falconers Flight and Amarillo. On tap on Monday, November 25.
Urban Growler Brewing Company
- Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Porter – Available the night before Thanksgiving, both in bottles and on tap, this is a porter with dark chocolate, caramel, and bourbon sweetness, complemented by an oak nose and a dry finish. Bottles go on sale at 5pm on November 27.
Utepils Brewing Co.
- Quadriga – The potent Belgian-style quad makes its return on Black Friday, November 29.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Cranberry Hard Seltzer – This new hard seltzer taps on Friday November 29 at the brewery.
- Frosted Tips Christmas Ale – Scheduled for a December 4 tapping.
- Mint Chocolate Chip Porter – Coming to the brewery on December 10, according to a recent newsletter.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- From the Abstract – One of a few Black Friday releases, this imperial rye stout was conditioned on Ecuadorian cocoa nibs, Indonesian cinnamon sticks, and fresh coarse-ground coffee beans from Up Coffee Roasters before aging in rye whiskey barrels for nine months. “The final product brings out notes of Mexican mocha, smooth bourbon, with thick brownie batter and nougat on the finish,” the brewery says. 10.1% ABV.
- Great Decay – An English-style barleywine that spent nine months in Four Roses Single Barrel bourbon barrels. Wild Mind says to expect caramel, nougat, and prune flavors, with robust bourbon character and complex notes of caramel and burnt brown sugar. 13.0% ABV, available next Friday.
- Into Oblivion – Available next Friday, November 23, this is a 12% ABV beer that was aged in Four Roses Single Barrel Select barrels. The beer is an imperial stout aged on toasted coconut, vanilla beans, and a touch of coconut, with the final aged product offering notes of almond, vanilla bean ice cream, and hints of spice, the brewery says.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.