With over 175 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
Where’s the party? This weekend: everywhere.
There are anniversary blowouts at Pryes, Unmapped, and Venn; a sour ale festival at Fair State; the 6th Annual Boom Days at Boom Island; and a bottle release at HammerHeart. And, of course, it’s Father’s Day too.
Newly released beers include Scandinavian farmhouse ales, crisp Pilsners, specially hopped IPAs, and more. Plus, Surly announced this year’s Darkness Day variants, forcing us all to consider the inevitably rapid arrival of September.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
TIFO is a new lager on tap at Bang Brewing as of last weekend. “Our riff on an Italian-style Pils,” the brewery in the bin says. “Clean, dry-hopped and delicious.”
Fair State SuperKveik
The initial Journeys + Sidequests members-only release, a gin barrel-aged Norwegian-style ale, will be on tap at Mixed Culture, happening at the Fair State taproom on June 15, 2019.
Pryes Bohemian Blonde Ale with Passionfruit
Pryes rings in their second anniversary with a slate of special releases, including this infusion release. Available at the taproom during Pryes’ Anniversary Block Party, June 14–15.
Formerly named Gesik, this is a Minnesotan take on the traditional sahti, made with both juniper branches and juniper berries. Available at a Saturday, June 15 bottle release.
Wooden Hill Golden Top
“A classic hefe brewed with pale wheat, Pilsner malt, and lightly hopped with Mandarina Bavaria hops,” the Edina-based brewery says. On draft in the taproom and in Crowlers as of June 11. 5.4% ABV.
New beers available this week (June 10–June 16)
- Norwe-gin Farmhouse – A raw (never boiled) farmhouse ale infused with juniper berries.
- Fruit Cup – An 8.3% ABV imperial IPA.
- Hidden Beach – The 7.2% ABV, 66 IBU American IPA is back. “This summer IPA is brewed with a touch of wheat for a soft, lightly sweet body and hopped with bucket loads of our dankest hops including Centennial, Citra and Falconer’s Flight. Bursting with notes of pear, peach skin, and honey,” the brewery notes.
Able Seedhouse + Brewery
- Plush Puppy – Available only at Psycho Suzi’s and Betty Danger’s.
Bad Habit Brewing Company
- Blazzberry Pie – A pastry ale made with blackberries, raspberries, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Hips-Ter Peanut With Banana – An imperial peanut butter chocolate milk stout with banana. Tapped last Sunday.
- Planet of the Apricots – Tapped last Friday.
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Blood Orange Traitor – Tapped at the brewery earlier this week.
- Strawberry Malted Milk Hoppe – A 5.7% ABV, 30 IBU strawberry milkshake IPA.
- Supply Drop – A new double IPA available at the brewery.
Back Channel Brewing
- Le Tour Guide – Just tapped, this is an 8.0% ABV, 80 IBU West Coast style double IPA with tropical and grapefruit zest, resin, and pine in its flavor profile.
- Recreational Foam – Back on tap, Recreational Foam is an IPA with cotton candy and cantaloupe flavors, pouring at 6.7% ABV, 69 IBU.
- TIFO – A new lager on tap at Bang as of last weekend. “Our riff on an Italian-style Pils,” the brewery in the bin says. “Clean, dry-hopped and delicious.”
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- Fan the Flames – A double dry-hopped IPA with Citra, Mosaic, and Vic Secret hops.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- Fruit Poncho – A new saison in the Over The Charts series, “German Pilsner malt provides a lightly malty foundation while wheat and spelt malts contribute to an enhanced mouthfeel and slightly spicy character that plays well off of the yeast phenolics,” the brewery says, giving it mild tropical fruit and floral citrus notes, plus French yeast esters and the addition of blackberry puree and lemon juice concentrate. 4.5% ABV, 26, and on draft at the taproom now. Coming to liquor stores on June 17.
- Pooltime Ale – A Belgian-inspired wheat ale with cherries.
- Dark Fatha – The Roseville brewstillery will tap a keg of Dark Fatha imperial stout in honor of Father’s Day, June 16.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- German Porter – On tap at the brewery, this porter has chocolate, toffee, and “Nutella lathered toast” flavors, the brewery says.
- Dad Jokes – An 8.3% ABV double IPA made with Citra, Mosaic, Falconer’s Flight, Cashmere, and Vic Secret hops. On tap and in Crowlers.
- White – A new wheat beer brewed with coriander and orange peel. 5.3% ABV.
Block North Brew Pub
A new brew pub opened in Aitkin recently. House beers include:
- BNBP – IPA
- Gateway Ale
- Runaway Galloway – A chocolate milk stout with notes of espresso and chocolate liqueur.
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Cuvée de Boom – Available at 4pm today, this unique beer is 45% pinot grigio and 55% Belgian blonde ale and kicks off at the 6th Annual Boom Days celebration. “The beer undergoes a parallel fermentation with both an ale strain and a Champagne yeast strain,” the brewery explains, and pours gold in color with a fluffy white head, merging light sweet malt, Belgian strong ale flavors, and sparkling champagne.” 11% ABV.
- Double Tap – A new Kölsch-style ale brewed with maple syrup in place of water. The first release in the new Taste of Minnesota series.
Dual Citizen Brewing Company
- Portland – A Northwest-style IPA, offering fruit and citrus notes with a bitter pine for a clean finish. While Pacific Northwest in style, the beer is made with Minnesota-grown hops. 7% ABV, 60 IBU.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- BBRR – “It’s Roselle, but with tons of blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries added,” Fair State says. At the taproom now and in cans next week.
Fair State will also tap several specialties on Saturday, when it hosts back-to-back ticketed access to Mixed Culture festival, which also features several in-state and national brands. Among Fair State’s beers:
- Rum Raisin – A Journeys + Sidequests only limited release, this barrel-aged stout. The brewery will also pout PMPD, BFDP, BBRR, Extreme Leisure, Pils, Vienna, Mirror Universe, Black Lager, Piña Joe-Lada, Pahlay, Hefe, Zoot!, Grey Matter, and more specialties.
- SuperKveik – The initial Journeys + Sidequests members-only release, a gin barrel-aged Norwegian-style ale, will be on tap at Mixed Culture later this month.
- The Bee’s Knees – This was a collaboration with Marvel Bar, a gin barrel-aged sour wheat ale with honey, lemon, and botanicals. It will also be available in limited supply at Mixed Culture Festival on June 15.
Firestone Walker Brewing Company
- Luponic Distortion No. 13 – This new hop-forward beer delivers tropical fruit and coconut character from an experimental hop brewed exclusively for Firestone Walker. The brewery rounds out the beer by adding five complementary hop varieties for an overall profile of piña colada, key lime, and nectarine, according to a press release.
- Participation Trophy – German-style Pilsner that pours at 5.5% ABV, 35 IBU.
Founders Brewing Co.
- Mucho Lupu – A dry-hopped juicy IPA that pours at 6.5% ABV and was made with cryo powder. Available in 6-packs and draft.
- Hopstar – This session IPA will also be sold in 6-packs of 12-ounce bottles.
Garphish Brewing Company
- Cinnamon Brezel – Brezel milk stout with added cinnamon. “Slightly salty and slightly sweet,” the brewery says. 7.1% ABV, 20 IBU.
HammerHeart Brewing Company
- Löyly – Formerly named Gesik, this is a Minnesotan take on the traditional sahti, made with both juniper branches and juniper berries. Available at a Saturday, June 15 bottle release.
- Svaðilfari – This is a new English-style barleywine aged in bourbon barrels. Available in bottles at the taproom on Saturday, it is “lightly smoked, incredibly malty, yet exceptionally dry,” the brewery says.
Hoops Brewing Company
- #14 Raspberry Wheat – A spicy and tangy wheat ale with raspberry. 5.2% ABV, 14 IBU.
- Volume One – Insight just debuted its first variety pack, featuring Sunken City Saison, Splendid Moose Hazy Pale Ale, Troll Way Citrus IPA, and Royal Nuisance German-style lager.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Secret Beach – Made in collaboration with Back Channel, this sour double IPA with plum and raspberry is on tap in Moorhead and will be distributed soon, the brewery says. 8.6% ABV.
- Simcoe West Coast Double IPA – 8.5% ABV
- Wake Up Late – A 10.1% ABV coffee vanilla stout available in Crowlers.
Klockow Brewing Company
- BHK – A 6.4% ABV nut brown ale.
LTD Brewing Co.
- DJ Razzy Razz – A raspberry double milkshake IPA, on tap now. 7.2% ABV, 43 IBU.
- Hopkins Shake – A 4.5% ABV raspberry milkshake IPA.
- Watermelon Sour – Now available year round at the Hopkins brewery.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Dortmunder – The GABF gold medal-winning lager is back at the taproom.
- Adulting Is Hard – A new England style IPA double dry-hopped with Strata, Galaxy, and Citra.
- Wild Thang – A light-bodied Kölsch-style ale made with wild rice.
- Bohemian Blonde Ale with Passionfruit – A special infusion release for the weekend of Pryes’ Anniversary Block Party, June 14-15.
Roets Jordan Brewery
- Arnie – A 5.3% ABV, 20 IBU shandy with citrus and black tea.
- Juicy – A 6.6% ABV, 68 IBU hazy IPA featuring El Dorado hops.
- Pub Ale – Roets describes this 6.4% ABV, 30 IBU beer as a malty British-style pub ale.
- Roets Berry – A 5.5% ABV, 8 IBU kettle sour with raspberries.
- Roets Honey – A light honey wheat ale. 4.5% ABV, 28 IBU.
Surly Brewing Company
- Electric Sombrero of Death – A tequila barrel-aged take on this new double dry-hopped imperial Mexican-style lager. BVeer Hall only.
Talking Waters Brewing Co.
- Hype Dream – A juicy and tropical sour IPA with blackberry and lime, plus Mosaic and Azacca hops. 7.2% ABV.
- Tooler’s Weiss – Hefeweizen
- West Coast 0101 – The Lab just tapped a new traditional West Coast IPA. “The flavor is hop-forward, with a clean fermentation profile, semi-dry finish, with clean, supporting malt allowing a creative range of hop character to shine through,” The Lab says. 7.1% ABV and available on CO2 and nitro.
The Nordic Brewing Co.
- Cedar Street Sour – The first sour ale brewed at this Monticello brewery.
Town Hall Brewery
- Golden Grounds – Tapped this week, this is a coffee pale ale that Town Hall says offers toasted honey pale ale flavors in harmony with “rich fluffy whipped nougat” coffee notes. 5.2% ABV.
Unmapped Brewing Co.
Unmapped is celebrating its second anniversary this Saturday, with special new and returning beers:
- Double Trace IIPA
- One Flew Over The Coconut
- Pineapple Tangerine Sour Eclipse
- Pinot Noir Quadruplication 2019 – Woodlands Project #1, this anniversary beer is Unmapped’s Belgian-style quad that, after aging in Oregon-sourced wine barrels, delivers “a deliciously harmonious flavor blend of dark fruit, oak, caramel, vanilla, and raspberry.” 12% ABV, 25 IBU, and available both on tap and in limited 750-milliliter bottles.
Venn Brewing Company
- Cosmosis – This “Clusterfruit” kettle sour is the feature beer at Venn’s 1.5 year anniversary (they didn’t want to celebrate in the dead of winter). Made with passion fruit, pineapple, pink guava, and mango, it debuts on Saturday.
- Bauernbier – A German-style farmhouse ale with a hint of honey.
Wooden Hill Brewing
- Golden Top – “A classic hefe brewed with pale wheat, Pilsner malt, and lightly hopped with Mandarina Bavaria hops,” the brewery says. 5.4% ABV.
- Macro – Back on tap , this is a 5.5% ABV Pilsner made with German noble hops.
- Kellerbier – Yoerg will debut its unfiltered kellerbier on June 14. “It’s a gloriously malty beer that’s quite rich on the palate with a creamy body not unlike a hefeweizen with its honey-like maltyness,” the brewery says.
Beers just announced
Barrel Theory Beer Company
Monday kicks off Anniversary week, with four special releases during the week and Second-anniversary ale available in bottles on Saturday.
- Barrel Aged Black Lotus – A barrel-aged imperial milk stout with coconut. Available on Monday.
- Barrel Aged El Gato Diablo – A barrel-aged imperial stout with cinnamon, vanilla, cacao, and peppers. Available on Monday.
- Second – This year’s anniversary beer is an imperial stout aged that was doubled barrel aged, first in Weller bourbon barrels, then again with cinnamon, vanilla, and maple. Available in bottles on Saturday.
- Slime Green Paint Peanut Butter Inside – An imperial stout made with both peanut butter and peanut butter cups. To tap next week.
- What The Fluff? – This Monday release is another barrel-aged imperial stout, this time with added marshmallow fluff and vanilla.
Block North Brew Pub
- Irish Stout – Brewed this week.
- The Gobler – An upcoming red ale.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Watermelon Sour – This is one righteous babe, loaded with fresh watermelon, it is crisp, clean, and oh so tasty. Back on tap
- Zilzner Kellerpilz – Brewed this week in collaboration with Tony Zaccardi of Palmer’s Bar.
- Kicked To The Herb – A Minnesota first, this pale ale is brewed with hemp oil, plus Citra and Chinook hops to intensify the aroma. “You’ll get high tropical notes and a piney resinous nose,” the brewery says. 5.5% ABV, plus 13mg of CBD per pint.
- Regulators, Stout Up – A collaboration with Mikerphone Brewing, this is a “barrel-aged maple syrup, Minnesota honey, and Belgian candi syrup” stout with an expected release next winter.
Great Lakes Brewing Co.
- Buckin’ Mule Moscow Mule Ale – A new beer inspired by the Moscow Mule cocktail, made with ginger, lime peel, rye, and Citra hops. It will release in 4-packs in June. 6.5% ABV, 25 IBU.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Modern Age IPA – A Pizza Lucé exclusive IPA returns. “Using new hop oils and extracts, we’ve created an IPA for the new age drinker featuring contemporary, tropical hops with a low-calorie count and low ABV,” Indeed says of the 4.4% ABV IPA that returns next week.
- Strawberry Fields – Also returning is Strawberry Fields strawberry sour ale. It’s a juicy kettle sour with Lactobacillus tartness and unmistakable fresh strawberries. In cans and on draft the week of June 17.
Surly Brewing Company
- Darkness – As summer flies by, Darkness Day will be upon us sooner than we know it. This year’s batch of Surly’s renowned Russian imperial stout returns on September 28 at a two-day music and beer festival in Somerset, WI. Expect chocolate, coffee, cherry, raisin, toffee, and aromatic hops. This year’s bottle features artwork by Tim Chapman.
Three variants will also be released at Darkness Day, bottled exclusively for weekend ticket holders:
- Double Stuff Darkness – A rum-barrel aged Darkness with vanilla bean and cacao.
- Mole Darkness – Aged in bourbon barrels with added vanilla beans, chocolate, cinnamon, and smoked chilis.
- Old Fashioned Darkness – Inspired by the Old Fashioned cocktail, this Russian imperial stout was aged in rye barrels, with added Moroccan orange peel.
- Nokken Ale – A collaboration with Denver’s TRVE Brewing, the July BC Small Batch series release is a dry-hopped Scandinavian farmhouse ale with honey aged on birch.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.