With over 185 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
It’s Valentine’s Day and love is in the air. At local breweries, that mostly means red fruited ales and chocolate themes, and it’s hard to complain about those rich, sweet and dessert-inspired flavors. Another interesting theme this week is boysenberries, which are in two different newly released beers in Northeast Minneapolis: one at Broken Clock and another at Dangerous Man.
For those who find fruited beers overrated, Surly has their classic West Coast-style IPA of that name back for a limited time too. And that’s just a taster of what new beers are available in the Land of 10,000 Lakes this week in The Mash-Up.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Broken Clock Queen of Tarts
The newest Queen of Tarts is a boysenberry lemonade sour. “Drinks with slight tartness, boysenberry and lemon throughout the body. You pick up on the subtle notes of coriander and sea salt that are characteristics of this style,” 4.7% ABV, 9 IBU. Available today.
Fargo Brewing Company Fudge ‘Ems
A “double chocolate fudge ale,” this sweet, smooth, creamy, and rich beer was conditioned on cacao nibs. “The sweetness of the malt bill is balanced perfectly by the slight bitterness and fruity esters from the cacao,” the brewery says. 7.5% ABV, 27 IBU.
Modist Unconventional Pleasures
A Dungeons & Dragons-themed session ale was brewed in collaboration with musician Jeremy Messersmith and his D&D group. A release party will take place at the brewery on Sunday, February 16, including two D&D sessions hosted by Messersmith. Coming in cans next week, with its own role-playing game instructions on the packaging.
Everybody comes out of retirement at least once. The West Coast-style IPA with fruity and citrusy notes returns for a limited time in 4-packs. 7.3% ABV.
Wooden Hill Casual Sabotage
“Sometimes an honest mistake in the brewhouse, like adding wayyy too many hops in the kettle, ends up working out for the better. Luscious dark chocolate malt meets Simcoe and Amarillo hops in this dark IPA,” says Wooden Hill of this new black IPA.
New beers available this week (February 10–February 16)
- Super ‘ssippi Squeeze – The bigger, juicer sibling of ‘ssippi Squeeze, this is a double dry-hopped double IPA with Citra and Mosaic hops. 8.5% ABV, 45 IBU.
- Upside Down Cake – Another double dry-hopped IPA, this beer is on tap at the brewery and features pineapple, cranberry, and orange flavors. 8.5% ABV, 40 IBU.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Imperial Essence IPA – Released last year as part of the Rare Element series,this double IPA pours at 9.6% ABV, 105 IBU and features Mosaic and Citra hops, plus rye malts for hint of spice note.
- What Happened?! – A cream ale aged on oak staves for added vanilla and bourbon notes. 7.7% ABV, 11 IBU.
Bad Habit Brewing
- Belgian Tripel – At 9% ABV, this tripel offers a soft maltiness with spice and fruity notes, plus a complex touch of coriander.
- Crush-A-Lot Hazy IPA – “Juicy, fruity and aggressively dry-hopped,” the brewery says. “You will get hints of esters, peaches and citrus.” 7.0% ABV.
- Smitten Kitten Cherry Chocolate Oatmeal Stout – Available now, this is a dark stout with oats, a malt-forward profile, plus cocoa nibs and cherry. 5.4% ABV
- Sour-Puss Pomegranate Golden Sour – A sour ale with pomegranate. 7.0% ABV, available today.
- Red Beeron Red IPA – “Brewed to be hoppy, and bitter, with a caramel/toffee malt character,” the brewery explains. 7.3% ABV.
Birch’s On The Lake
- Citra Sour – A new 5.7% ABV Citra-hopped sour with oats.
Boom Island Brewing Company
Saison – A farmhouse ale, on tap at the brewery now.
Broken Clock Brewing Company
- Queen of Tarts – The newest Queen of Tarts is a boysenberry lemonade sour. “Drinks with slight tartness, boysenberry and lemon throughout the body. You pick up on the subtle notes of coriander and sea salt that are characteristics of this style,” 4.7% ABV, 9 IBU. Available today. – Top Flight entry
Burning Brothers Brewing
- Cider 7.0 – This week’s Small Batch Wednesdays release at the taproom.
Clutch Brewing Company
- Minnesota Common – A 6.8% ABV steam beer, this localized version of the California Common style was brewed with wild rice and Northern Brewer hops that give woodsy and herbal character.
- Semi-Sweet Jane – A chocolate milk stout both sweet chocolate and roasty coffee notes, the brewery says. Tapped a week ago in limited supply.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Barrel Aged Belgian Tripel – Bottles went on sale yesterday at Dangerous Man.
- Boysenberry Cobbler A La Mode – A smooth and creamy beer made with boysenberries, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and fenugreek.
- Raspberry Sour Cider – “Delicious raspberries give this sour-styled cider just the right kick of natural tart sweetness to make your lips somehow pucker and smile at the same time,” Duluth Cider says of its first sour offering, available today.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- U-Pick – A juicy, bright, oaky fruited barrel sour that is made solely with local raspberries picked from Northfield, MN, which Fair State says give “nice seedy raspberry notes.” Available in bottles.
Fargo Brewing Company
- Fudge ‘Ems – A “double chocolate fudge ale,” this sweet, smooth, creamy, and rich beer was conditioned on cacao nibs. “The sweetness of the malt bill is balanced perfectly by the slight bitterness and fruity esters from the cacao,” the brewery says. 7.5% ABV, 27 IBU. – Top Flight entry
- It Takes Two – A Berliner weisse with mango and guava, giving tropical fruit flavors with a slight tartness. 4.5% ABV, 19 IBU, and available in cans.
Fat Pants Brewing Co.
- Red Eye ‘Rish – A 5.8% ABV Irish red ale.
Firestone Walker Brewing Company
- Luponic DIstortion – The latest Luponic Distortion features El Dorado hops for soft stone fruit flavors with melon, pear, and tropical notes.
- Motueka – A new hazy IPA available only in mixed pack can packs, offering flavors of tropical fruit, white grape, and lemon zest.
Founders Brewing Co.
- Unraveled IPA – A new year round juicy IPA from Founders, “The hop character is aggressive with its citrus and tropical flavors and aromas while the addition of lupulin powder—rather than relying on over-dry-hopping with just pellets—helps keep the grassiness in check. It has great balance and is clean, bright and refreshing,” says brewmaster Jeremy Kosmicki. 6.6% ABV.
- Chocolate Oatmeal Milk Stout – Sold in the new mixed-pack Sampler Vol. 4.
- Maibock – Sold in the new mixed-pack Sampler Vol. 4.
- Coco Hearts – “Sweet coconut and milk sugar provide a creamy, chocolate finish to this pastry stout brewed with a smooth base of chocolate malt,” HeadFlyer says of this new coconut chocolate pastry stout.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Sarah Jane’s Maple Sticks – A pastry stout modeled after the the Maple Stick at Sarah Jane’s Bakery and made with cinnamon, vanilla, lactose, and maple, the new beer is described as a rich, full stout. Available at both of Indeed’s taprooms and in area liquor stores.
Lupulin Brewing Company
Imperial Truffle Mix-Pack – A mixed four-pack of 16-ounce cans features different variants of this 9% ABV imperial porter:
- Imperial Coconut Truffle
- Imperial Hazelnut Truffle
- Imperial Peanut Butter Truffle
- Imperial Raspberry Truffle
Modist Brewing Co.
- Unconventional Pleasures – A Dungeons & Dragons-themed session ale was brewed in collaboration with musician Jeremy Messersmith and his D&D group. A release party will take place at the brewery on Sunday, February 16, including two D&D sessions hosted by Messersmith. Coming in cans next week, with its own role-playing game instructions on the packaging. – Top Flight entry
Pantown Brewing Company
- Wanna SMaSH? – A pale ale made with Chevallier Heritage Malt and Topaz Hops.
Portage Brewing Company
- Beta – An oatmeal black ale that taps on Saturday.
- Chatter Chatter – A Czech-style Pilsner that taps on Saturday.
- Coffeecake – Portage’s blonde ale with coffee, cinnamon, and vanilla returns on Saturday.
Surly Brewing Company
- Overrated! – Everybody comes out of retirement at least once. The West Coast-style IPA with fruity and citrusy notes returns for a limited time in 4-packs. 7.3% ABV. – Top Flight entry
Talking Water Brewing Co.
- Stony Run – The pale ale is back on tap now.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Banana Nilla Wafer Parsec Porter – “Our classic, balanced porter aged on banana and vanilla,” Tin Whiskers says. 5.4% ABV, 28 IBU.
- Pils Nye (the Science Pils) – Made with all German ingredients, this crisp lager offers subtle floral and cracker notes. 5.5% ABV, 30 IBU.
- Strawberry Shortcake Roboshake IPA – Available this Saturday, this is a dairy-free milkshake IPA made with vanilla, strawberries, marshmallow, and cake batter.
Town Hall Brewery
- Mosaic Mania – As its name suggests, this new IPA showcases Mosaic hops and pours at 5.7% ABV with notes of tangerine and papaya, with subtle blueberry and flower blossom impressions. Available next Monday.
Urban Forage Winery & Cider House
- Black Currant Cider
- Vin de Pomme – A cider/wine hybrid made with the pressed skins and pulp of red Frontenac grapes.
Venn Brewing Company
- Batch #259 Imperial Lunarising – An upsized, imperial batch of Lunarising stout with coffee, chocolate, and vanilla. No lactose.
Waldmann Brewery & Wurstery
- Schokoladeweizen – “Creamy, roasty-toasty winter wheat with notes of banana and chocolate and a luscious light-brown head,” Waldmann says of this dark wheat ale. 5.6% ABV.
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Casual Sabotage – “Sometimes an honest mistake in the brewhouse, like adding wayyy too many hops in the kettle, ends up working out for the better. Luscious dark chocolate malt meets Simcoe and Amarillo hops in this dark IPA,” says Wooden Hill of this new black IPA. – Top Flight entry
Beers just announced
Alloy Brewing Company
- Rock Out With Your Doppelbock Out – A featured seasonal release at the February 29 Starkbierfest, complete with bock poking ceremonies.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- Pow Hound – A limited release double West Coast-style IPA with “intense hop bitterness and earthy, citrusy flavors and aromas,” the brewery says. 8.4% ABV, 100 IBU. Featuring citrus, floral, pine, and resin flavors and available in tall boys next week.
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Curvee de Boom – The pinot grigio/blonde anniversary ale hybrid returns for Boom Days 2020 in July.
- Irish Leap – A coconut stout will tap at Boom Island on Saturday, February 29.
- Kriek – Returning in early March, a brewery newsletter says.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Hello, Milwaukee – An easy-going American light lager that Indeed describes as “crisp, clean and highly toastable.” Brewed in collaboration with 1840 Brewing Company and set to debut on March 5. 4.5% ABV, 10 IBU.
- The Queen – This whiskey barrel-aged imperial stout will be back on tap at Indeed on February 27 for Flight Night, with four added infusions: Dogwood Neon Espresso and Vanilla Bean, Cacao Nibs and Orange Zest, Cherry and Coconut, and Ginger and Lemon Zest.
At the annual Smoke Signals BBQ party on April 4, Insight will pour:
- Claw King – Hazy IPA
- MegaDankbot – Double IPA
- Phantom Taxi – Double IPA
- Terror Bear – American IPA
- Wild Hunt – Rauchbier
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Barrel-Aged Wake Up Late – A vanilla and coffee stout, coming this month.
- Bennie’s Wearin’ Sweats – New England-style IPA
- Gone Hollywood – West Coast-style IPA
- Hazy Maze
- Huncho’s New Chain – Double apricot passion fruit sour
- Mama’s Trip to the Bahamas
- Retro Ski Suit – New England-style IPA
- Taking Care of Biscuits – Cookie stout
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Dortmunder – A 5.5% ABV German-style Dortmunder lager, coming soon to cans and draft.
- Fruitsmack – An upcoming strawberry and raspberry IPA that will be available in cans.
- Nary A Berry – A 5% ABV blonde ale with wild rice, then dry-hopped with Mosaic.
- Sophistry 05 – A 7% ABV IPA coming later this month.
- Straight Hash Homie – Back on April 18.
- Strictly Illegal – The 11% ABV triple IPA is “on the horizon,” Lupulin says.
Big Beer Week returns from March 1–8 at the Big Lake brewery, followed by its first iteration in at Lupulin’s Sioux Falls location on March 8–15:
- March 1 Bottle Releases (10am): Barrel God 2020, Barrel Aged Lateralus, Whiskey Demigod; Draft Releases: Barrel God 2020, Barrel Aged Lateralus, Whiskey Demigod, Coffee Shop Assault Vehicle; Infusion (2pm): Coffee Shop Assault Vehicle Mexican Mole
- March 2 Draft Releases: Whiskey Nuts 2020, Whiskey Nuts 2018; Infusion (5pm): Almond Joy Whiskey Nuts 2020
- March 3 Draft Releases: Rus 2017, Rus 2018; Infusion (5pm): Rus 2018 w/ Oreos
- March 4 Draft Releases: BA Imperial Chocolate Truffle; Infusion (5pm): BA Imperial Chocolate Truffle w/ Count Chocula
- March 5 Draft Releases: Night Witch; Infusion (5pm): Sycophant w/ Cinnamon Toast Crunch
- March 6 Draft Releases: Strictly Illegal, Lateralus, Lateralus – Coconut & Chocolate; Infusion (5pm): Citridiculous w/ Pineapple, Orange & Guava
- March 7 Draft Releases: Barrel God 2016, Barrel God 2017, Barrel God 2019, Barrel God 2020; Infusion (2pm): Chocolate Mint Barrel God 2020
- March 8 Draft Releases: William the Conqueror, Barrel Aged William the Conqueror; Infusion (2pm): Lateralus Snozzberry Pie Ice Cream Float
The Sioux Falls lineup from March 8-15 will be:
- March 8 Bottle Releases: Barrel God 2020, Barrel Aged Lateralus; Draft Release: Barrel God 2020; Infusion: Coffee Shop Assault Vehicle Mexican Mole
- March 9 Draft Release: Strictly Illegal; Infusion: Citridiculous w/ Pineapple, Orange & Guava
- March 10 Draft Release: Rus 2018; Infusion: Vanilla Rus
- March 11 Draft Release: BA Imperial Chocolate Truffle; Infusion: BA Imperial Chocolate Truffle w/ Count Chocula
- March 12 Draft Release: Sycophant; Infusion: Sycophant w/ Cinnamon Toast Crunch
- March 13 Draft Release: Barrel God 2016; Infusion: Lateralus Snozzberry Pie w/ Cacao Nibs
- March 14 Bottle Release: Chocolate Cherry Cake Dreams; Draft Release: Chocolate Cherry Cake Dreams; Infusion: Double Vanilla Chocolate Cherry Cake Dreams
- March 15 Draft Release: Barrel Aged William the Conqueror
OMNI Brewing Co.
- Tropical Milkshake IPA – A new milkshake IPA in the Malt Shop series debuts at OMNI’s Leay Day Luau party on February 29.
ONE Fermentary & Taproom
- TBD – ONE recently collaborated on an upcoming beer with Dangerous Man.
Pantown Brewing Company
- Clodoald Doppelbock – “Brewed using Vienna (and other German and European) malts and lagered with German yeast. You’ll find plenty of sweet, bready notes in this beer, as well as notes of caramel and toffee, with a hint of raisin on the nose.” Tapping on February 26.
- Coffee Cream Ale – A limited batch of cream ale with Muggsy’s Papua New Guinea coffee beans taps on February 19.
Steel Toe Brewing
Steel Toe shared its seasonal lineup for 2020. Following the now-available triple IPA, Size 11, the brewery will release:
- Douglas – A Cascadian dark ale to be sold in 22-ounce bottles beginning in September.
- Sommer Vice – A hefeweizen to be sold in 22-ounce bottles beginning in May.
- Split-Point – A Pilsner to be sold in 22-ounce bottles beginning in July.
- Turn Key – A double dry-hopped IPA to be sold in 22-ounce bottles beginning in March.
- Wee Heavy – A scotch ale to be sold in 750-milliliter bottles beginning in November.
Surly Brewing Company
- Operation CoHoperation: Surly Part 2 – Part 1 is out now, brewed in Big Lake at Lupulin. Part 2 will be brewed in Brooklyn Center later this month. “We’ll be brewing with the Surly gang, and brewing essentially the same beer, but on different equipment. This is a cool opportunity for us to study the differences between our experimental techniques. Once it’s ready, Surly will have it on tap in their taproom,” Lupulin said in a recent news letter. An 8.5% ABV juicy double IPA.
Waconia Brewing Company
- English Pub Ale – Coming to the brewery next week on February 18.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.