With over 175 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
Fruity flavors dominate new beer flavors this week. Some breweries are adding fruit while others are relying on new hop varieties to offer similar flavors. Additionally, there are several one-off unique brews on tap in the Duluth area just in time for the Minnesota Craft Brewers Guild’s annual summer party, All Pints North.
Series beers are also popular this week, with Lake Superior Brewing, Broken Clock, and Founders among the many breweries who are introducing or continuing thematic beer lineups. And that’s just a taste of the many new and upcoming releases of the week.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Brau Brothers Luchador Cerveza
- At 5.5% ABV, 20 IBU, Brau describes this as a light and crisp lager with subtle notes of apple and pear.
Schram Haus Agave Gose
- A kettle sour made with New Zealand hop varieties to provide lemon-lime character without any fruit additions. 4% ABV, 15 IBU.
Duluth Cider No. 24 Cherry Chili Cider
- Dave Hoops of Hoops Brewing helped make this cider, which features Minnesota apples, Wisconsin cherries, and New Mexico Hatch chili peppers. On tap tonight at the cidery as Duluth gets ready to host All Pints North this weekend.
Dangerous Man 3 Cups of Lemongrass Ale
- This collaboration with Witchhunt will be available at All Pints North on Saturday and in the Dangerous Man taproom on August 1.
612Brew Long Goodbye
- A double dry-hopped IPA with ripe mango, peach, and pineapple notes and low bitterness, the brewery says. 6.5% ABV, 20 IBU.
New beers available this week (July 22–July 28)
- Long Goodbye ‒ Top Flight selection
Angry Inch Brewing Company
- Creamalicious ‒ Back on tap as of last weekend.
- SotaShake ‒ A blackberry milkshake IPA brewed in collaboration with Montgomery Brewing Company.
Avery Brewing Company
- Rocky Mountain Rosé ‒ Made with wine grapes and described as bright, crisp, and low calorie, this bright pink beer is an alternative to the canned wine movement. Available in 12-ounce cans. 4.4% ABV.
Back Channel Brewing
- Single-Handed ‒ A 5.75% ABV, 29 IBU New England-style pale ale with grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, and vanilla flavors.
- Something New ‒ This “Champagne saison” is a “light saison base that has a significant amount of peach added at the end of fermentation and is finished with Champagne yeast to dry it out, creating layers of complexity. Something New is lightly sweet with prominent berry notes complemented by faint clove, bubblegum, and Bellini flavors; finishing lightly dry and tart,” the brewery says. 9% ABV, 29 IBU.
- The Empress ‒ The latest fruited wheat from Back Channel was made with strawberries and blueberries. 5.25% ABV, 19 IBU.
- The Next Wave ‒ A hoppy, hazy IPA with tropical fruit notes. 6.40% ABV, 62 IBU.
- Winchestertonfieldville- A sour IPA conditioned on passionfruit, pineapple, and pomegranate. 6.75% ABV, 39 IBU.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Hitched ‒ A white IPA with grapefruit.
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- After School Snacks ‒ A tangerine and blood orange Berliner weisse.
- Cherenkov Effect ‒ An imperial sour with lychee, tangerine, and spirulina. Tapped on Thursday and made in collaboration with 8th Street Brewing.
- Cryptocurrency ‒ A double IPA made with Citra and Strata hops.
- DDH Rain Drops ‒ This batch of the DDH series has Citra, Mosaic, and Galaxy hops.
Big Axe Brewing
- Wild Turkey Cherry Sour ‒ Subtle tart notes along with oak and whiskey flavors define this barrel-aged sour that pours at 6.5% ABV, 18 IBU.
Block North Brew Pub
- Bog Nectar ‒ A blueberry blonde ale.
Brau Brothers Brewing Co.
- D’s Thai Lager ‒ A 5.5% ABV, 22 IBU pale lager.
- Imperial Ring Neck ‒ “Imperial Ring Neck is everything we love about Ring Neck Brau Ale, only more of it,” Brau says. “Imperial RingNeck pours deep amber and carries strong caramel flavor, along with black currant, dark cherry, and a hint of sweet cola.” 9% ABV, 18 IBU.
- J-Turn Saison ‒ An non-traditional farmhouse ale that’s 6.8% ABV, 51 IBU with a dose of El Dorado hops that add bitterness to the clove, banana, and spice flavors.
- Luchador Cerveza ‒ Top Flight selection
- Strawberry Wheat ‒ A 4% ABV American pale wheat.
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
- Idaho Gem SMASH Pale Ale ‒ New for Round 1, Match 3 of the SMASH Pale Ale tournament showcasing different hops, this one has pineapple, cherry, and candied fruit elements.
- Jarrylo SMASH Pale Ale ‒ This new pale ale in the series is described as “mild and sweet,” with tea-like flavors and pear notes.
Castle Danger Brewery
- Hefeweizen ‒ Available now in the taproom.
Clown Shoes Beer
- Double Burnt Caramel ‒ A bourbon barrel-aged double brown ale with added caramel.
Clutch Brewing Company
- Phil’s Pils
Copper Trail Brewing
- Indigo Wheat ‒ A blueberry wheat ale with honey malt and red wheat for a sweet backnote and extra depth, the brewery says. Back on tap today. 5.5% ABV, 17 IBU.
- Summer Suds ‒ This is a 4.8% ABV Kölsch-style ale with lemon and lime undertones. “Light and refreshing,” the brewery says. On tap today.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- 3 Cups of Lemongrass Ale ‒ Top Flight selection
- Boku Berry Braggot ‒ A wildflower honey ale with strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and black currants that give berry-forward flavors with subtle hints of honey and a dry finish, the brewery says.
- Obey Double IPA ‒ A new hazy IPA with fresh-squeezed lemon that pours at 8.5% ABV.
- No. 24 Cherry Chili Cider ‒ Top Flight selection
- Hop Lords ‒ A new triple IPA that debuted last week.
- Electric Grenades ‒ A collaboration with Revelation Ale Works, this is a triple-dry hopped “hop grenade” made with Cashmere, Citra, Hallertau, Ariana, Azacca, Amarillo, and Mandarina Bavaria hops before the brewery added dehydrated oranges, lemons, and grapefruit. 6.9% ABV, 90 IBU.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Indeed will be pouring the following at All Pints North on Saturday:
- Flavorwave IPA
- L.S.D. Honey Ale
- Lull ‒ CBD seltzer
- Mexican honey light
- Mimosa Shenanigans ‒ Shenanigans with mango lemonade, grapefruit, and key lime.
- Strawberry Fields ‒ Strawberry kettle sour.
- Wooden Soul: Manhattan Cherry Dust ‒ Aged in rye whiskey barrels.
- Wooden Soul: I’m All Ripe ‒ A brett saison with passion fruit, pineapple, mango, and cherries.
Klockow Brewing Company
- Hays on Tay ‒ A 7.4% ABV Scotch ale.
- Superior Lobe ‒ The hefeweizen returned at Klockow last week.
La Doña Cervecería
- No Hay Branca ‒ This is a wheat beer with orange peel and coriander, brewed in collaboration with the in-development ONE Fermentary & Taproom.
- Roday-O ‒ A double IPA made with all El Dorado hops.
Lake of the Woods Brewing Company Minnesota
- Lakeside Kolsch ‒ Tapped last week in Warroad.
Lake Superior Brewing Co.
- Raspale ‒ Available this Saturday in the Saturday Sipper series.
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Heat Index ‒ A tropical stout that the brewery describes as “very dark, sweet, and fruity.”
LocAle Brewing Company
- Norselander 2.0 ‒ Tapped last week, this is an 8.5% ABV double IPA with New Zealand hops and Norwegian yeast that offers coconut, peach, apricot, and stone fruit flavors.
- Shady Lady
O’so Brewing Company
- 2 Milkshake Lunch ‒ Available in 16-ounce cans, this new milkshake double IPA is double dry-hopped with Citra and Mosaic hops, plus Idaho Gem hop hash.
Roets Jordan Brewery
- Farmhouse IPA ‒ A 6.9% ABV, 68 IBU Norwegian farmhouse hazy IPA.
- Roets Beer ‒ A 5% ABV, 28 IBU blonde ale with agave.
- Roets Porter ‒ A 5.9% ABV, 35 IBU American honey porter.
- Roets Sour ‒ Apricot Gose ‒ A 5% ABV, 8 IBU gose with apricot.
- Summer ‒ A 6% ABV, 55 IBU honey IPA.
- Agave Gose ‒ Top Flight selection
Surly Brewing Company
- Summertime Blues ‒ A limited-supply, Beer Hall-only wheat beer with blueberry and vanilla that was recently tapped as part of the So You Want to Brew a Beer program featuring beers created by different Surly employees.
The Nordic Brewing Company
- Death Trip ‒ “A New England IPA that was unintentionally brewed the day legendary mandolinist Jeff Austin passed away,” Nordic explains, dedicating the beer to the late musician. It’s a 6.66% ABV, 25 IBU hazy IPA with Mighty Axe-grown Minnesota hops.
Third Street Brewhouse
- Juicy Hazy Brut ‒ A dry but hazy IPA that’s 6.4% ABV, 55 IBU.
Tilion Brewing Company
- Mango Milkshake ‒ The fruited milkshake IPA tapped again in Cannon Falls last Friday.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Limoncello IPA
- Peach Milkshake IPA ‒ Tapped on Thursday at the St. Paul brewery.
Town Hall Brewery
- Hopfen King ‒ The Hopfen King is a new take on our annual whole-leaf German brew. A German IPA made using whole leaf German hops, this 6.2% ABV beer (formerly known as Kopfen Konig) has notes of candied lemon and freshly cut grass, plus hints of melon and spice in the aroma, followed by an intense hop bitterness in flavor profile balanced with a grainy malt sweetness and a note of spice.
Union 32 Crafthouse
- Scent of a Lemon Pale Ale ‒ A summer sipper brewed with a pilsner malt bill, Cascade hops, and lemon peel.
Urban Growler Brewing Company
- Blueberry Wheat ‒ “An elemental, crisp wheat beer transformed into blueberry deliciousness topped by a gorgeous, frothy, lavender head,” Urban Growler says of this Plow To Pint series release. 5.6% ABV, 10 IBU.
- St. Citra Pale Ale ‒ A classic pale ale ramped up with Citra hops. Coming to cans in July. 5.2% ABV, 20 IBU.
- Key Lime Pie Ale ‒ On tap now, this is a 5.3% ABV, 10 IBU blonde ale with lime, graham crackers, and lactose that is described as “tart and subtly sweet.”
- Sticky Rice ‒ Back on tap today, Sticky Rice is “a wheat beer brewed with Jasmine rice, ginger, fresh mangos, and organic coconut. The aroma of coconut and mango mingle in the nose, while the ginger becomes more apparent in the finish. The jasmine rice helps to lighten the body,” the brewery says. 5.3% ABV, 18 IBU.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Bob’s Pale Ale
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Bitcrusher ‒ A juicy 4.6% ABV session IPA with a blend of El Dorado, Idaho 7, and Galaxy hops.
- Hefeweizen ‒ A German-style wheat ale with bread dough, clove, banana, and lemon rind notes, the brewery says. 5.2% ABV.
Beers just announced
Founders Brewing Co.
- Underground Mountain Brown ‒ The next Barrel-Aged Series release is an imperial brown ale with Sumatra coffee. “A team of malts complement the bold Sumatra coffee perfectly, while time spent immersed in oak creates layers of depth and complexity. A celebration of the barrel, the bean, and everything in between,” the brewery says. 11.9% ABV, 30 IBU, and available in 12-ounce and 750-milliliter bottles in August.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Hibiscus Shenanigans ‒ A hibiscus-infused variant of Shenanigans wheat ale, on tap at the Uptown Art Fair from August 2-4.
Lake Superior Brewing Co.
- Duluth’s senior production brewery will feature a different exclusive release each week as part of the one-day-only Saturday Sipper series.
- Pineapple N’shore ‒ Scheduled for August 3
- MangoTide ‒ Set for August 10
- DeepS’mores ‒ Scheduled for August 17
- Smoked Habenero Fest ‒ Scheduled for August 24
- 2xDry Hopped Mesabi Red ‒ Scheduled for August 31
Little Thistle Brewing Co.
- Wee Pils ‒ Batch #100 at Rochester’s Little Thistle will be a featured beer at the brewery’s First Anniversary Party on August 24. “Our Wee Pils is a reflection of our Scottish and Iowan union” featuring Bairds Pilsner malt from Scotland and a little love from Iowa (flaked corn),” the brewery says.
Rogue Ales & Spirits
- A new series of canned sparkling cocktails are coming soon from Rogue Spirits, hitting select states soon and the rest of the country (including Minnesota) in January 2020. Each is 7.5% ABV and gluten-free.
- Cranberry Elderflower Vodka Soda ‒ A vodka-based drink with tart, refreshing qualities from added cranberry and elderflower.
- Cucumber Lime Gin Fizz ‒ A gin-based drink with cucumber and lime.
- Ginger Lime Vodka Mule ‒ “Rogue Spirits Bayfront Vodka forms the base of this cocktail while ginger and lime provide a refreshing balance of citrus and spice,” Rogue says.
- Alpha State ‒ The next Noble Star Collection releases on August 1. This sour ale was aged on over 6,000 pounds of cherries.
- Oktoberfest ‒ This German-inspired Märzen lager returns on August first with a toasty backbone and a balance of Pale, Munich, and Vienna malts.
Urban Forage Winery and Cider House
- Blueberry Melomel ‒ Made with blueberries and wildflower honey, this melomel will be available at the Minneapolis cidery this month.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.