With over 175 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
Hops are the star of this week’s releases, which includes a variety of old school West Coast IPAs, new hop breeds, and dry-hopped beers of all styles. There are also several traditional and boozy European styles, mixed-culture beers, and new kettle sour releases to enjoy. Plus more Oktoberfests and pumpkin beers that point to the upcoming change of seasons.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
A dry-hopped, blended saison with mixed cultures that combine to create flavors of citrus zest, oak, and funk, the brewery says. 5.4% ABV, 12 IBU.
Lakes & Legends Dock Start
A new tangerine white ale with lightly tart and mildly sweet flavors, the brewery says. 4.3% ABV and the first 16-ounce can release from Lakes & Legends.
Pryes Hopsicle Stick
A collaboration with Lupulin that debuted at In Cahoots! and is now on tap at Pryes, this is a hazy IPA with a blend of Galaxy, Sabro, Cryo Citra, Azacca, and Simcoe hops.
Summit Smoked Peach Hefeweizen
Smoked malt, fresh peaches, and a classic hefeweizen yeast strain combine to produce a unique summer thirst quencher with notes of clove, banana and stone fruit. Available in the Ratskeller.
White Bear Meadery Skål
One of three currently tapped meads at the new Gem Lake establishment, this mead is made with dark buckwheat honey, a dry English yeast, and Cascade hops for beer-like flavors.
New beers available this week (August 5–August 11)
22 Norsemen Brewing Co.
- British Imperial Stout – A malt-forward British imperial stout with toffee, caramel, coffee, and roast flavors. 9.5% ABV.
Able Seedhouse + Brewery
- Whoaa Bundy – After debuting at the In Cahoots! festival, this is a summer IPA with grapefruit, peach, and apricot. It’s made in collaboration with Drekker of Fargo, available at Able’s taproom now and coming to liquor stores in cans next Monday, August 12.
Back Channel Brewing
- Ignitor – “[This] imperial pastry stout with vanilla, cacao, and biscotti will knock your taste buds out of the park, and run all over your palate with a super thiccc mouthfeel that is packed with flavor,” says the brewery. “It’s only befitting that it’s a 4 o’clock release for this legend.” 11.25% ABV, 30 IBU
- Shuttle Dog – Back Channel’s newest NEIPA uses Mosaic, Ekuanot, and Vic Secret hops, with notes of fresh berries and tropical fruit. 7% ABV, 60 IBU
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- West Coast IPA – A West Coast IPA brewed with Ekuanot, Amarillo, Centennial, and Mighty Axe-grown Zenia hops—plus Chinook hop extract and Tetra-Iso hop extract. Brewed in collaboration with Arbeiter.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- Schwandtoberfest – Back this week in 6- and 12-packs.
- Sudnik – An American pale ale that is citrus-forward and aromatic, with a blend of Magnum, Comet, and Galaxy hops. 6.5% ABV, 80 IBU.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Cerveza del Taco – Exclusive at Taco Arcada, this is a cream ale made with actual tortillas and a hint of lime.
- Fruity Toots – An 8.3% ABV imperial kettle sour with pineapple and blackberry. On tap at the brewery.
Block North Brew Pub
- Rhubarb Sour – A light and fruity new beer made with locally sourced rhubarb.
Brass Foundry Brewing Co.
- Cream ale – The third beer in Brass Foundry’s lineup is an easy drinking cream ale.
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
- SMaSH Pale Ale Tournament – In the fourth match of Round 1, Broken Clock continues to pit hop against hop in this high-stakes tournament. This match pairs two SMaSH pale ales, one using Pacifica and the other with Rakau hops. Both are at 5.5% ABV, 43 IBU. Try them side by side at the taproom today, August 9, and cast your votes.
Castle Danger Brewery
- Red Hop – An India-style red ale with a malt base and a blend of Citra, Simcoe, and Mosaic hops.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Blackberry Raspberry Milkshake IPA – “We packed this creamy treat with 130 pounds of blackberries, 85 pounds of raspberries, and a touch of Madagascar vanilla beans. We hopped this fruited IPA with lots of Mosaic and Huell Melon, giving it even more berry goodness,” the brewery explains.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Little Bubbles – Just tapped, this saison is the winner of the Home Brew Contest and is spicy and bubbly with a dry finish, the brewery says. 5.7% ABV.
- Stranger in the Alps – A collaboration with Threes Brewing, Stranger in the Alps is “something we’re calling an ‘alpine lager’,” Fair State explains. “A pale lager brewed with lemon balm and fresh foraged spruce tips from Duluth.” 5.1% ABV.
- Contours – A dry-hopped, blended saison with mixed cultures that combine to create flavors of citrus zest, oak, and funk, the brewery says. 5.4% ABV, 12 IBU.
- Dad Bob – A malty ale with smoked malt, rich chocolate, and caramel flavors.
- De Kronik – Inspired by the beers of Antwerp Belgium, then fermented in oak. “Aromatics of fresh baked bread lead to flavors of smooth caramel and mild spiced tones,” the brewery says. 6% ABV, 22 IBU.
- Gummies Make Us Likable: Stonefruit – A lactobacillus sour ale with peaches and apricots. 6% ABV, 4 IBU.
- #316 Stone Cold Light – “It is what it says it,” Hoops simply says, “a light beer from a craft brewery.” 4.2% ABV, 13 IBU.
- #325 Chilli Pepper Ale – A 5.8% ABV, 15 IBU spiced beer that uses a blend of seven varieties of chili peppers with a heat index hitting 4 (out of 10).
- #48 IPA – A dank IPA that pours at 8.3% ABV, 100 IBU.
- #67 Keller Wiesn – “A young early release of our Oktoberfest beer, unfiltered straight from the bright tank,” Hoops says of this beer. 6.2% ABV, 16 IBU.
Lake Of The Woods Brewing Company Minnesota
- Forgotten Lake Blueberry Ale – A 7.1% ABV, 13 IBU blueberry ale.
Lake Superior Brewing Co.
- MangoTide – Duluth’s senior production brewery will feature a different exclusive release each week as part of the one-day-only Saturday Sipper series, including MangoTide this Saturday, August 10.
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Dock Start – A new tangerine white ale with lightly tart and mildly sweet flavors, the brewery says. 4.3% ABV and the first 16-ounce release from Lakes & Legends.
Lakeville Brewing Co.
- Yawn Talk – Inspired by key lime pie, the second installment of the Yawn Talk series is a kettle sour that the brewery says has a tart flavor, slightly cream mouthfeel, and a bit of graham cracker at the end. 4.9% ABV.
Little Thistle Brewing
- Le Petit Citron – This is a summer saison, featuring a light lemon zest and a hint of spice. 5.0% ABV, 17 IBU
- Thistle Do Nicely – This marriage of English and American porter features a well-balanced roasty malt backbone with a gentle hop bitterness. 4.5% ABV, 19 IBU
Oskar Blues Brewery
- Can-O-Bliss 3 – Round 3 of the Can-O-Bliss IPA series is out now.
Pantown Brewing Company
- Joey Juice DIPA – Tapped on Wednesday, this is a double IPA made with Australian Vic Secret, Ella, and Topaz hops.
Pryes Brewing Co.
- Hopsicle Stick – A collaboration with Lupulin that debuted at In Cahoots! and is now on tap at Pryes, this is a hazy IPA with a blend of Galaxy, Sabro, Cryo Citra, Azacca, and Simcoe hops.
Rock Bottom Brewery
- Windbreaker IPA – A newly tapped IPA at the downtown brewpub.
- Alpha State ‒ The latest Noble Star Collection is a sour ale aged on over 6,000 pounds of cherries.
- Oktoberfest ‒ This is a German-inspired Märzen lager with a toasty backbone and a balance of Pale, Munich, and Vienna malts.
- Duck, Duck…Gose – Shakopee tapped its first-ever sour earlier this week, which the brewery describes as a “medley of apricot and peach.”
- Stone Farking Wheaton w00tstout – An 11.5% ABV limited release, this is a barrel-aged imperial stout. “Aromas of cocoa and coffee are followed by bourbon, vanilla and oak. Fruitiness adds to the cocoa and coffee up-front flavors, followed by a punch of oak, vanilla, nut and a hoppy, bitter finish. It’s smooth and creamy and ideal for cellaring as its complex flavors will evolve over time,” says Stone. Available in 12-ounce cans this year.
Summit Brewing Company
- Oktoberfest – Back for the season.
- Smoked Peach Hefeweizen – Smoked malt, fresh peaches and a classic hefeweizen yeast strain combine to produce a unique summer thirst quencher with notes of clove, banana and stone fruit. Available in the Ratskeller.
Surly Brewing Company
- Temple – The August release in the BC Small Batch series, Temple is an imperial kettle sour with pomegranate, peach, mango, vanilla bean, and lactose.
Talking Waters Brewing Co.
- Pillow Talk – This is a 6%-ABV hazy IPA with melon, white grape, and light tropical flavors, the brewery says, with a touch of sweetness and a soft body.
Tilion Brewing Co.
- Dan’s Lemon Shandy
- Dan’s Raspberry Lemon Shandy
Town Hall Brewery
- Sticke Alt – A German-style altbier with fruity, toffee, caramel, chocolate, and malt notes. 6.8% ABV.
- Tangerine Reflection – This is a 5.7% ABV IPA with bread, honey, and cracker flavors, along with prominent tangerine and a hint of lemon and pine, the brewery says.
Venn Brewing Company
On August 10, Venn will throw Cosmosis: Sour Fest with eight featured beers served in two different flight-of-four arrangements:
- Pomegranate Guava Sour
- Mango Sour
- Pineapple Sour
- Triple Berry Sour
- Tart Cherry Sour
- Black Cherry Sour
- Raspberry Sour
- Black Currant Sour
White Bear Meadery
- Skål – One of three currently tapped meads at the new Gem Lake establishment, this mead is made with dark buckwheat honey, a dry English yeast, and Cascade hops for beer-like flavors.
- Spiced Eple – Featuring wildflower honey and cinnamon-infused apple cider for sweet, spiced, pie-like character.
- Valhalla – A traditional mead with floral notes from its base wildflower honey.
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Hard Seltzer – A house hard seltzer made by brewing beer, then filtering out flavoring and color. It is gluten-removed and also available in cranberry. Out now.
- WonderFizz – A watermelon sour that’s both sweet and tart with candied melon notes. 5.1% ABV.
- Bock – Black in color with chocolate and coffee flavors and on tap now. 6.5% ABV.
- Hefeweizen – Back on tap as of August 1.
Beers just announced
- Double Trouble Double IPA – Double Trouble is a double India oat pale ale featuring Simcoe and El Dorado hops, to be released August 17. According to the brewery, “added pineapple, passion fruit and coconut gives it big, bright tropical fruit flavors while the rolled oats, oat flour and oat milk give it a nice big juicy mouthfeel,” 8.1% ABV, 60 IBU
The Rochester brewery will host a bottle release on September 6 with the following:
- Kitten Treats
- Pastry Chef
- Pudding Goggles
- Stoned Love Saison
- Wiscoy Valley
Inbound Brewing Co.
- Nershi Nectar – This hazy hoppy wheat ale was brewed specially for Inbound’s Nershfest, a free outdoor music festival on August 17 inspired by “three dudes’ love of Bill Nershi and craft beer,” according to the Facebook event. Nershi Nectar will be available at the fest all day long, but until 3pm cans are just $3, in commemoration of the fest’s third celebration.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Albertville Collaboration – Brewed for the City Centennial Celebration.
- Ark Royal – The 5.3% ABV ESB returns this month.
- Belgian-Style Tripel Infused with White Peach – 8.75% ABV and coming this month, according to a brewery newsletter.
- Cotton Candy Cream Ale – A 5%-ABV cream ale with cotton candy flavors, this is a State Fair Grandstand-only release.
- CPB – A 5.25%-ABV chocolate peanut butter porter available on draft at the brewery and in Crowlers.
- Cream Ale – 5% ABV and coming this month.
- Fruitsmack Mango – Fruited with India’s Alphonso mango variety. Coming in mid-August.
- Lemon Meringue Pie Ale – A 5%-ABV blonde ale with lemon meringue, this is a State Fair Grandstand-only release.
- Oktoberfest – In the works and to be featured at an upcoming Oktoberfest party.
- S&M – “On the horizon,” according to a recent brewery newsletter. 7.5% ABV.
- Vanilla Dreams – “On the horizon,” according to a recent brewery newsletter. An 8% ABV imperial porter.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Schotty Pumpkin – The fall release is back in liquor stores next week.
Town Hall Brewery
- Wally’s Wit – A 5.3% ABV witbier with refreshing citrus character, plus notes of orange peel and coriander.
Urban Growler Brewing Company
Urban Growler has a bunch of special releases as the St. Paul anniversary celebrates if fifth year milestone. Here is the schedule:
- 11:30am – Berliner Weisse
- 11:30am – Rhubarb Bubble Brew
- 11:30am – Peachy Queen Milkshake IPA
- 12:00pm – Session Red Ale
- 2:00pm – Truestone Cold Press Coffee Kolsch
- 3pm – Blue-barb Slushee
- 4pm – Buckwheat Beers (Buckwheat Honey Old Ale & Buckwheat Honey Foreign Extra Stout)
- 5pm – Cranberry Beet Cream Ale (Sugar Dirt)
- 6pm – Cherry Bell (Door County Cherry Cream Ale)
- 7pm – Coconut Porter (Think Mounds bar)
- 8pm – Curry IPA
- 9pm – Jalapeno Cream Ale
Venn Brewing Company
- Batch #210 Vic Secret Pale Lager – A pale lager with a crisp, clean feel and notes of tangerine, Venn says. 5.2% ABV, 35 IBU.
- Batch #214 Raspberry Wheat – An American wheat ale with lots of raspberry. 5.4% ABV, 15 IBU.
- Batch #216 Julius Hazy Pale Ale – Made with the Minnesota-grown Julius hops from Mighty Axe. 5.0% ABV, 40 IBU.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.