With over 175 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
It’s another week of mango and milkshakes, mushrooms and CBD. The ingredients as we wrap up Pride week are as creative as ever, including two beers made with CBD from FINNEGANS and Eastlake, and an ESB steeped in chaga mushrooms from Clutch.
Many breweries and institutions across the state have been observing Pride Week in some fashion, plus there are other celebrations as Barrel Theory, Alloy, and Tin Whiskers all had birthdays.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
FINNEGANS Kicked To The Herb
This pale ale is brewed with hemp oil, plus Citra and Chinook hops to intensify the aroma. “You’ll get high tropical notes and a piney resinous nose,” the brewery says. 5.5% ABV, plus 13mg of CBD per pint.
Iceman Ice – Okay, Loony’s has our attention with this distilled pale ale topping out at a whopping 27% ABV. Loony’s says: “From the Icebox of the nation, a strong pale ale brew frozen three times to achieve a gargantuan ABV percentage.” The brewery says it’s “still very smooth even at 27%.”
LynLake Gargamel’s Wrath
Having opened an in-house kitchen this week, the brewery at the intersection of Lyndale and Lake has released two beers with Pride Week in mind. This one is a hefeweizen with mango and dragonfruit.
Northbound Pravy Pilsner
In a sea of over-the-top adjunct beers, it’s a nice respite to drink a straight-up, true-to-style beer. Northbound obliges this week with a Czech-style Pilsner made with a newly purchased reverse osmosis water filtering system. On tap since Tuesday.
Wild Mind Spontané Kriek
“Spontané Kriek is a blend of one- and two-year-old spontaneously fermented beer with sweet and tart cherries added for secondary fermentation. Bottle conditioned for extra depth of flavor, this coolship inoculated, wild beer balances the underlying funk with an upfront punch of cherry and a hint of spice at the finish,” the brewery says. Bottles go on sale this Saturday.
New beers available this week (June 17–June 23)
- Cloud Wars – The brewery has a taproom-only batch of this dry-hopped hefeweizen on tap now. 5.1% ABV, 8 IBU, with notes of lemongrass, pear, clove, and a hint of banana, the brewery says.
Alloy Brewing Company
Alloy kicks off its second anniversary weekend with a new beer on Friday and three more on Saturday:
- Strawberry Guava Earthshake IPA – A milkshake IPA with strawberry and guava to kick off the weekend. At 8.8% ABV, “This beer is smooth and bright from start to finish,” Alloy says.
- White Noise – The 2019 batch of white chocolate stout taps at noon on Saturday. Blended with chocolate and infused with rye-soaked oak, this beer is described as bold, rich, and smooth, with a touch of vanilla. 9.2% ABV.
- Berry Bomb – Also available at noon on Saturday, this is a Belgian-style tripel with blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries.
- Iron Kilt – At 3pm on Saturday, a limited amount of 2018’s week heavy returns. 10.2% ABV.
- White Noise 2018 – Later in the day, at 6pm, Alloy will tap a limited amount of 2019 White Noise. 8.9% ABV.
Back Channel Brewing Company
- The Mats – “Generously hopped with Meridian, Summer, and Enigma to create notes of lemon, lime, white grape, and pineapple, with a juicy soft finish,” the brewery says of this 5.75% ABV New England-style pale ale.
Barrel Theory Beer Company
Barrel Theory celebrates its second anniversary with several returning favorites during the week, plus a new anniversary ale available in bottles on Saturday.
- Barrel Aged Black Lotus – A barrel-aged imperial milk stout with coconut.
- Barrel Aged El Gato Diablo – A barrel-aged imperial stout with cinnamon, vanilla, cacao, and peppers.
- Second – This year’s anniversary beer is an imperial stout aged that was doubled barrel aged, first in Weller bourbon barrels, then again with cinnamon, vanilla, and maple. Available in bottles on Saturday.
- Slime Green Paint Peanut Butter Inside – An imperial stout made with both peanut butter and peanut butter cups.
- What The Fluff? – Another barrel-aged imperial stout, this time with added marshmallow fluff and vanilla.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Citrus Party Kanū – The June release in the Infusion series of draft-only releases.
Big Axe Brewing
- Babe’s Blueberry Blonde – A light bodied summer ale with a light note of blueberry, the brewery says.
- TDH Loud Pack – A blend of Citra, Mosaic, El Dorado, Galaxy, and Southern Passion hops in an 8.3% ABV double IPA, available only at the taproom.
Block North Brew Pub
- The Gobbler – A 6.8% ABV red ale with balanced malt and hop character, the brewery says.
Blue Wolf Brewing Co.
- Pineapple Shandy Is Dandy
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
- Co-Op Ale – A cranberry honey blonde ale in the Brewers Round Table series, this is a dry, medium-bodied golden ale made in collaboration with Mississippi Market Natural Foods Co-op, Sno Pac Foods, and Bare Honey. 5.7% ABV, 37 IBU.
Clutch Brewing Company
- Goomba – Tapped on June 9, this ESB was steeped with chaga mushrooms. “It imparts a mild bitterness and woodsy characteristic that complements the floral/resinous hop profile, and malty backbone,” Clutch says.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Mango Raspberry Milkshake IPA – A milkshake IPA with stone fruit and tropical notes, plus the addition of vanilla, mangoes, and raspberries.
- Terroir IPA – “The nose bursts with fresh and candied lemon with slight undertones of peppercorns and earthy spice. The Pilsner and wheat provide a soft, delicate, slightly honeyed backbone,” the brewery says of this IPA made with Minnesota-sourced ingredients.
- City Limits – Tapped at the brewery last weekend.
Drastic Measures Brewing
- Morning Dream – A 7.1% New England-style IPA, tapped last week.
Eastlake Craft Brewery
- Blame It On My Juice – The Pride Dabbler offering is made with blueberries, strawberries, grapefruit, and has notes of banana, the brewery says. 10% ABV.
- Dave’s Fave Flav – A 5.2% ABV traditional pale ale. “Columbus and Chinook hops have been paired with a copper-colored malt bill, engraved with that timeless sticky floral, grapefruit and piney hop character,” the brewery says.
- Relax & Recover – This beer has it all: a reduced gluten CBD shandy. “A blend of Groov CBD lemonade and Blueliner Pale. With 5 milligrams of full-spectrum CBD, a low ABV, and <10ppm gluten, this summer crusher is high in fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice flavor and health benefits,” the brewery says.
Fargo Brewing Company
- Benedict Cucumberbatch – A 4.6% ABV gose brewed with Huell Melon hops and sea salt, plus fresh cucumber.
- Kicked To The Herb – Top Flight selection.
Founders Brewing Co.
- Double Trouble – Founders describes this as a hop-forward triple IPA with a firm malt backbone and a bitter finish. Available from the Limited Series now. 9.4% ABV, 86 IBU.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Modern Age IPA – A Pizza Lucé exclusive IPA returns. “Using new hop oils and extracts, we’ve created an IPA for the new age drinker featuring contemporary, tropical hops with a low-calorie count and low ABV,” Indeed says of the 4.4% ABV IPA.
- Sax on the Beach – Available only at Pride Dabbler, this is a “mojito-style” Shenanigans with hibiscus.
- Strawberry Fields – This is a juicy kettle sour ale with Lactobacillus tartness and unmistakable fresh strawberries. In cans and on draft.
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Dock Start – “This bright, citrusy Belgian ale marries the spices of a white ale with the flavor of tangerine,” the brewery says. 4.3% ABV, 14 IBU.
- Beehive Honey Wheat – Now available, this 5.5% ABV, 8 IBU wheat ale is unfiltered and made with wildflower honey.
- Iceman Ice – A distilled pale ale at a whopping 27% ABV, 40 IUB, Loony’s says: “From the Icebox of the nation, a strong pale ale brew frozen three times to achieve a gargantuan ABV percentage.” The brewery says it’s “still very smooth even at 27%.”
- Loch Ness Wee Heavy Scottish Ale – A malt-forward Scottish ale made with scotch-aged oak for extra character. 8.1% ABV, 12 IBU.
LTD Brewing Co.
- Apricot Hefeweizen – 4.7% ABV and on tap now.
LTS Brewing Company
- Tequilamonkingbeer – A barrel-aged Belgian-style golden strong ale.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Lateralus with Marshmallow & Chocolate – The third release in the Lateralus pastry stout series is an 11%-ABV imperial stout with marshmallow and chocolate.
- Gargamel’s Wrath – Top Flight selection.
- Smurf Juice – Blue in color, this milkshake IPA features Galaxy, Strata, and Cryo Citra hops, plus mango and pineapple.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Double Dreamyard – Dreamyard hazy IPA but amped up and brewed with an entirely oat and wheat malt bill. Available this Saturday.
- Double False Pattern – This double take on a regular beer is a hazy and juicy IPA with oats and Mosaic hops. Available Saturday.
- Double Shot First Call – “Everything you love about First Call but amplified with an extra shot of coffee and a good grip of cocoa nibs and vanilla,” Modist notes.
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Pravy Pilsener – Top Flight selection.
- Vienna Lager
Oldenburg Brewing Company
A new brewpub is open in Belle Plaine. Taps include:
- Blonde Ale
- Coffee Cream Ale
- Irish Red Ale – Made with local honey
- Oatmeal Stout
- Pale Ale
Tilion Brewing Co.
- 2 Day Weekend – The lime and habanero-dosed New England-style IPA is back on tap this weekend.
- Lazy Day Lager – A West Coast-style lager.
- RaZZ – A raspberry pale ale available for the summer.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
The brewery will celebrate five years this Saturday including the following releases (in order of release):
- Lemon Zest Tractor Beam cask – A hazy IPA cask-conditioned with lemon zest. 5.6% ABV, available Friday.
Saturday’s beer releases:
- 12pm: Limoncello IPA
- 3pm: Four different Pearson’s Candy collaboration beers: Salted Nut Roll Ale, Nut Goodie Porter, Bit-O-Honey Blonde Ale, and Mint Patty Stout
- 6pm: Key Lime Pale Lager
- 8pm: Peanut Butter Mocha Alt on Nitro
- Peach Petite Sour with Tea Pearls – Available at Pride Dabbler tonight.
- Peanut Butter Mocha Alt – Tapped last weekend.
Town Hall Brewery
- Centra Pale Ale – Tapped on Monday, this is a low alcohol pale ale that builds on a malt base with a blend of Citra and Centennial hops—just like its name. 5.2% ABV with a non-cloying bitterness and fruity hop character.
Venn Brewing Company
- Chronicopia – A newly tapped West Coast-style double IPA with a sweet malt bill, plus orange and pine notes.
Venn will serve a traditional 4.5% ABV Berliner weisse at Pride Dabbler tonight, including a variety of syrup flavor options:
- Passion Fruit
Waconia Brewing Company
- Espress’Yo Self Chocolate Coffee Golden Ale
- Schwarzbier – “A deep brown, full-bodied lager showcasing roasted malt bass notes with a hint of hoyne and a touch of hop spice on the top end,” the brewery says. 5.2% ABV.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Spontané Kriek – Top Flight selection.
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Landing Lager – A summertime lager available exclusive at Charles on Prior in Prior Lake.
Beers just announced
- Broken Clock collaboration – Coming on July 3, according to a recent brewery newsletter.
- Pineapple Upside Down Sour – This is a tart gose brewed with fresh pineapples. “It tastes like a slice of super-fresh pineapple upside down cake in the summer,” the brewery says. 5.5% ABV, 20 IBU. In cans on and draft on Tuesday June 25.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Pink Squeeze – A wit made with sumac berries, hibiscus, and orange peel. 5.2% ABV, 9 IBU, and available on draft the week of June 24.
Three Twenty Brewing Company
- Sunken Streamliner – Steamliner Stout aged in Isanti Spirits’ bourbon barrels. This beer will be coming soon, the brewery says.
Town Hall Brewery
- Blood Orange Lager – At 5.7% ABV, this fruited lager was made with blood orange syrup and offers grain-sweetened lager flavors enhanced with blood orange. Taps on Monday June 24.
- Juice Ghost – Town Hall enters the New England-style IPA game. Juice Ghost pours at 6.2% ABV with strong tropical fruit flavors. On tap Monday June 24.
- Thunderstorm – A summer American strong ale brewed with orange blossom honey. 7% with mild lemongrass notes.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Lunch Box Porter – Set to tap next Monday, June 24.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.