With over 175 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
Peppers, pineapples, peaches, and pink beers—just a few of many unique descriptions of newly available and soon-to-come beers across the state of Minnesota this week. There are big, boozy beers like a barrel-aged stout at Three Twenty, and 4% ABV session beers from Fair State, OMNI, and Giesenbräu. And that’s just the start.
There are also hop-focused beers—Broken Clock has a new tournament-style showcase of one-hop beers to show off unique traits, 10K just brewed a new beer highlighting the qualities of Lemondrop, and Hoops have a Mosaic EPA available.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
HeadFlyer Peaches and Cream Ale
“Peaches and Cream Ale features El Dorado and Mandarina Bavaria hops. Peaches and lactose were added to bring back memories of having a cold treat on a hot summer day,” the brewery says.
Able No Doy
A clean, crisp, tart summer ale with pink guava and mango. The beer will be on tap at Able this Saturday for the No Doy skate and surf party, a benefit bash for City of Skate, and in cans on July 1.
Steel Toe All Hands Pale Ale
Steel Toe brewed an exclusive beer for Common Sound Music Festival on Sunday, June 30, headlined by Doomtree, whose album “All Hands on Deck” inspired the beer’s name.
OMNI A Beer Has No Name
“Our foray into the Norwegian kveik beers. It’s a loose hybrid of the Belgian table saison and traditional Norwegian farmhouse styles,” the brewery says. A 3.2% ABV, 8 IBU option tapped to celebrate OMNI’s cellarman graduating from brew school.
Schell’s Alpha State
New at the Starkeller taproom this weekend, this sour beer was aged on 6,600 pounds of cherries. “Alpha State has a cherry tang and almond flavors that mingle together, balancing over a toasty malt backbone, that finish with a hint of cherry cobbler,” the brewery says. Bottles will be sold on a date yet to be announced.
New beers available this week (June 24–June 30)
- Lemon Peel IP-Eh? – “A deep golden IPA brewed with Lemondrop hops and a large amount of lemon peel for zesty aromas of lemon and lemongrass on top of sweet caramel,” the brewery says, noting flavors of fresh lemon, lemon candy sweetness, and a bitter finish.
22 Northmen Brewing Co.
Newly open near Alexandria, these beers are on tap at the brewery from the owners of Carlos Creek Winery:
- Norse Lager
- Norwegian Farmhouse Pale
- Super ‘Ssippi Squeeze – A new take on ‘Ssippi Squeeze, this is a fruit-forward double IPA.
Able Seedhouse + Brewery
- No Doy – Top Flight selection.
AEGIR Brewing Co.
- Saisolstice – A 6.6% ABV saison tapped this week.
Back Channel Brewing Company
- Red, White, and Cool Gray Khaki – A sour IPA made in collaboration with Junkyard, and made with peach, pomegranate, and blueberry. It’s Back Channel’s first sour. 7.3% ABV.
- The Eight Way – A 5.25% ABV porter that with notes of chocolate.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- Fruit Poncho – A new saison in the Over The Charts series, “German Pilsner malt provides a lightly malty foundation while wheat and spelt malts contribute to an enhanced mouthfeel and slightly spicy character that plays well off of the yeast phenolics,” the brewery says, giving it mild tropical fruit and floral citrus notes, plus French yeast esters and the addition of blackberry puree and lemon juice concentrate. 4.5% ABV, 26 IBU and in cans now.
- Pull Tabs – Pale ale
Block North Brew Pub
- Better Than Chuck – Back on tap at the Aitkin brewpub.
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
In the new SMaSH Pale Ale tournament at Broken Clock, two hops enter and one hop leaves. Every two weeks the brewery will unleash two single malt, single hop pale ales where customers select a favorite. Kicking off the series this week:
- Apollo SMaSH Pale Ale – “Apollo SMaSH has notes of orange, resin and spice,” the brewery notes.
- Enigma SMaSH Pale Ale – “Enigma hops deliver tropical fruit, raspberry, Pinot Gris, red currant, and melon flavors,” Broken Clock adds.
Clutch Brewing Company
- The Narrows American Amber Ale – An amber ale that pours at 5.7% ABV with a malt-forward nut profile and fresh pine notes, the brewery says.
Copper Trail Brewing
- Midwest Midnight – Made with cacao nibs, this chocolate stout has mild sweetness with berry and nectar flavors in addition to the expected roasty, dry stout character. 6.1% ABV, 45 IBU. On tap today.
Drastic Measures Brewing
- Buttaface – A 5% ABV American stout with Butterfinger.
- Enforcer – This is a double IPA that features El Dorado and Enigma hops. 7.9% ABV.
Dual Citizen Brewing Company
- Summer Lavender Honey Pale Ale – Brewed with local lavender blossom honey, this is a 6% ABV, 40 IBU pale ale that the brewery says features an “elegant aroma backed by a pleasant botanical bitterness and smooth malt body.”
- Tequila Barrel-Aged Queen Imperial Gose – Brewed to celebrate Pride month, this beer includes lemon, lime, agave nectar, and sea salt. At 11% ABV, 5 IBU, it was aged in tequila barrels (that previously held bourbon), and offers strong and bold flavors with a touch of salt, the brewery says.
Earth Rider Brewery
- Tap Shack Caribbean Lager – A new Caribbean-style lager made with a hint of lime zest.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Morgoth – A 7.2% ABV double dry-hopped IPA made in collaboration with Modern Times.
- Tiny Hammer of Death – This is a petit saison that was made in collaboration with Burial Beer and pours at just 3.8% ABV.
- Where Did You Get Those Shoes? – This new beer was made with help from Bottle Logic and is a “chocolate-covered pretzel inspired stout” brewed with Aki’s pretzels, cacao nibs, sea salt, and vanilla. A limited supply of bottles go on sale on Saturday.
- Mama Bravo – A low bitterness bright IPA with tangerine and Juicy Fruit notes, originally created in collaboration with Pizza Luce. Currently on tap at the Fulton taproom in limited supply.
Giesenbräu Bier Co.
- Big Gulps, Huh? with Peach – A 5.1% pale ale with citrus notes, complemented with peach.
- CHP Lite – “Very low IBU—mild, bright, and effervescent, this bier is exactly what you’d expect in a domestic light lager, only better,” the brewery says. 4.3% ABV.
Great Lakes Brewing Co.
- Buckin’ Mule Moscow Mule Ale – A new beer inspired by the Moscow Mule cocktail, made with ginger, lime peel, rye, and Citra hops. Available in 4-packs, 6.5% ABV, 25 IBU.
- Passion Champagne – Inspired by Pride month, this is a dry, high-carbonation ale with passion fruit.
- Peaches and Cream Ale – Top Flight selection.
Hoops Brewing Company
- #10 Extra Pale Ale – A one-hop pale ale made with Mosaic hops. 5% ABV, 45 IBU.
- #22 Amber Ale – At 5.5% ABV, 23 IBU, Hoops describes this as “Rich, balanced and approachable.”
- #5050 Hefeweizen – A Bavarian-style hefeweizen that pours at 5.5% ABV, 18 IBU.
- Chipotle Soured Cream Ale – First tapped at Pride Dabbler, Inbound will tap a very limited supply tonight with proceeds benefiting the Pride In Brewing scholarship.
- Pineapple Upside Down Sour – This is a tart gose brewed with fresh pineapples. “It tastes like a slice of super-fresh pineapple upside down cake in the summer,” the brewery says. 5.5% ABV, 20 IBU.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Pink Squeeze – A wit made with sumac berries, hibiscus, and orange peel. 5.2% ABV, 9 IBU.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Cha Cha Real Smooth – A New England-style IPA.
- Terminal Delight – A strawberry cream soda sour ale.
La Doña Cervecería
- ¡Fired up! – A new beer that was finished with Arbol peppers. “¡Fired up! gives you the spice without the discomfort,” the brewery says.
Lake of the Woods Brewing Company
Now open in Warroad, MN, this brewery exists in partnership with its original Canadian counterpart in Kenora, Ontario. Upon opening, the Minnesota brewery features:
- American Wheat
- Blonde Ale
- Brown Ale
- Spudfest – A 5% ABV cream ale on tap at the brewery now.
- Strictly Illegal – An 11.5% ABV triple IPA.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Fruit City – An apricot and peach smoothie-style sour ale that’s available at the taproom now.
- Tropic Level: Blue – This taproom beer is a “tiki-style” double IPA that pours blue in color.
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Pride Red American Lager
OMNI Brewing Co.
- A Beer Has No Name – Top Flight selection.
Rush River Brewing
- Chasing Waterfalls – A collaboration beer made with One Fermentary & Taproom, now on tap at select bars and restaurants.
- Alpha State – Top Flight selection.
Schram Haus Brewery
- Dark Horse – A 6.2% ABV, 39 IBU foreign extra stout with smooth and roasty character.
Steel Toe Brewing
- All Hands Pale Ale – Top Flight selection.
Surly Brewing Company
- Grapefruit Supreme – Previously available in a sampler pack, the grapefruit radler is now sold in 6-packs. 4.5% ABV.
- Nokken Ale – A collaboration with Denver’s TRVE Brewing, the July BC Small Batch series release is a dry-hopped Scandinavian farmhouse ale with honey aged on birch.
- Stunner Tropical Ale
Three Twenty Brewing Company
- Pert Near – Back on tap at the brewery.
- Sunken Streamliner – Steamliner Stout aged in Isanti Spirits’ bourbon barrels. This beer will be sold in bottles and on tap this Friday at 3pm. “This beer is boozy but smooth, dark and delicious,” the brewery notes, adding that its bottle design celebrates a legendary incident at Devil’s Lake.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Bit-O-Honey Blonde – “A light, refreshing blonde ale with a prominent almond nuttiness and natural honey kick to remind you of everyone’s favorite taffy treat,” Tin Whiskers says of this 5.5% ABV candy-inspired beer. Available today.
- Dragonfruit Peach Petite Sour – A 4% ABV, pink sour ale that taps on Saturday.
Town Hall Brewery
- Blood Orange Lager – At 5.7% ABV, this fruited lager was made with blood orange syrup and offers grain-sweetened lager flavors enhanced with blood orange. Taps on Monday June 24.
- Juice Ghost – Town Hall’s first New England-style IPA, Juice Ghost pours at 6.2% ABV with strong tropical fruit flavors.
- Thunderstorm – A summer American strong ale brewed with orange blossom honey. 7% with mild lemongrass notes.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Lunch Box Porter
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Minnesota Might – “This IPA is made with 100% locally malted barley, plus Minnesota-grown Cascade, Centennial, and Zeus hops from Mighty Axe hops,” the brewery says. 5.8% ABV.
Yoerg Brewing Co.
- Dunkelweizen – A dark wheat beer with notes of banana and clove, plus earthy, toasty, chocolatey flavors, the brewery says.
Beers just announced
Clown Shoes Beer
- Don’t Fear The Blender #2 – A nationally-distributed fruit smoothie IPA with strawberry and raspberry. Coming in July, the brewery says.
Copper Trail Brewing Co.
- 19th Hole – A 6.3% ABV, 21 IBU Scottish export set to tap on July 12 at the Alexandria brewery. The beer features balanced caramel and earthy notes, the brewery says.
- Bravo Single Hop Lager – An upcoming lager with flavors of Juicy Fruit, gummy bears, and tangerines,” the brewery says.
Founders Brewing Co.
- Pilsner – Formerly PC Pils, Pilsner is available at the Michigan Founders taproom now and hits liquor stores soon.
Lake of the Woods Brewing Company
Now open in Warroad, MN, this brewery exists in partnership with its original Canadian counterpart in Kenora, Ontario. The Minnesota brewery has plans to release US-made batches of the following Canadian flagship beers:
- Big Timber – American-style IPA
- Firehouse – English nut brown
- Forgotten Lake – Blueberry ale
- Sultana Gold – North American blonde ale
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.