With well over 100 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up-to-date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
Everything in Minnesota has been cast in a purple light, and football fever is infiltrating the beer world as well. There are new purple beers to be tapped for game day on Sunday, plus a handful of Super Bowl-themed beverages coming out from breweries like The Freehouse, Wabasha Brewing, and others.
In other big beer news, Bent Paddle Brewing has a new Valve Jockey series beer available and Drekker Brewing just released their latest Valhalla series offering. Bauhaus Brew Labs and Summit Brewing have new beers on the shelves, and Dangerous Man Brewing celebrates five years this weekend with a bash and bottle release. Wicked Wort Brewing does the same, marking two years for the Robbinsdale brewery.
And that’s just the start. Continue reading for more new beer info to keep this weekend fresh.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team will highlight five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited about.
Fair State Keep The North Cold
On January 18, Fair State released a new beer featuring the deep-rooted, perennial grain Kernza. A portion of the proceeds from the beer sales will go to nonprofit efforts to research Kernza. Keep The North Cold will be available exclusively in the taproom and at The Bachelor Farmer, though Fair State hopes it will return this summer in larger supply.
Venn Breakfast Stout
After opening just over a month ago, Venn head brewer Kyle Sisco has dialed in his system and is showing off his brewing chops. Venn’s Breakfast Stout is an American stout featuring blended roasts of light and dark coffee, lactose, Ghanaian cacao nibs, and vanilla. Aside from the heaps of chocolate flavors and blended coffee roasts, “it packs a malty punch,” says the brewery.
Portage Forest Reserve #01
With offerings like Forest Reserve #01, Portage head brewer Jeff Vondenkamp is attempting to capture the terroir of Walker, Minnesota. This mixed fermentation sour made of 100 percent local wild yeast, foraged and harvested from the various berries, flowers, and bugs that call Chippewa National Forest home.
Lift Bridge Silhouette
One of Lift Bridge’s most popular limited releases is back this week. Silhouette is an imperial stout that is “As deep and dark as the thick Northern Woods,” says the Stillwater brewery. This year’s release has strong aromas of coffee, molasses, chocolate, and prune that meld with an intense dark roasted character, according to the brewery’s website. We’re looking forward to tucking into this complex, rich, and full-bodied winter warmer.
Urban Forage Warm Mead
Urban Forage Winery & Cider House is combatting the recent cold snap with a batch of mead. Served warm at the taproom, this honey wine is like “a fireplace in your tummy,” according to the winery. We’re excited to give this warm mead a try and kick back in the winery’s newly opened taproom on East Lake Street in Minneapolis.
New beers available this week (January 15 – January 21)
- Sarlock – A new Russian imperial stout that 56 describes as featuring roasted and chocolate malts. In the taproom today and hitting stores in 12-ounce cans next week. 10% ABV, 70 IBU.
Angry Inch Brewing
- Resolution Ale – A saison aged on Sauvignon Blanc grape concentrate “with strong pear and Champagne notes,” the brewery says. 9.0% ABV, IBU 24.
Badger Hill Brewing Company
It’s Flight Club at Badger Hill this Saturday, with four limited porters available.
- Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookie Porter
- Peanut Butter Porter
- S’mores Porter
- Thin Mint Porter
Bent Paddle Brewing Company
- Doppelbock – The latest release from the Valve Jockey series.
- Blackberry Guava Brain Freeze Smoothie Sour – Released last Friday.
- Wheez The Ju-uuuuuuuuuice – Double dry-hopped Wheez, now available.
- Thor Is My Co-Pilot – Released last night, this Valhalla Series beer is “brewed with oats and milk sugar for a rich, creamy body and slightly sweet character, then massively hopped with CTZ, Simcoe, Citra & Mosaic,” as described by Drekker. 8.0% ABV.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Keep The North Cold – Top Flight selection
- Mirror Universe – A new hazy IPA.
- Wet Hull Coffee Stout – Released last week.
- Chocolate Milk Stout – A new Beyond The Door release, this 5.3% ABV milk stout features “chocolate maltiness with a smooth, light finish,” HeadFlyer says.
- Purple Holla – Holla Honey Ale with a blueberry infusion for the Vikings’ playoff run. 5.5% ABV.
Jack Pine Brewery
- Warming House – Spiced Winter Ale
- Maggie’s Farm – Cream ale, on tap as of last weekend, though the brewery notes on Facebook that they’ll be closed for the next few weekends.
- Top of the Trail – IPA
- Edge of the Earth – Oatmeal stout
Klockow Brewing Company
- Beatrice – Irish Red
- Ryetasca – Roggenbier
- Skroob’s Salute – Schwarzbier
Left Hand Brewing Company
- Left Hand IPA – A new year round from Colorado, this IPA is brewed with Azacca, Galaxy, and Citra hops.
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Barrel-Aged Snowmaggedon 2017 – Released on Tuesday, Northbound put last year’s Snowmaggedon into a Woodford Reserve Rye barrel for 10 months to make this limited supply offering.
OMNI Brewing Co.
- Gingerbread Cookie Cream Ale – Infusion Tuesday’s release at OMNI this week.
- Lookout 60 IPA – “This pale-colored IPA features locally-grown Cascade hops from Metropolitan Hops and commemorates 60 years of the Lookout Bar and Grill,” the brewery says of this collaboration that debuted at the start of the new year.
Portage Brewing Company
- Forest Reserve #01 – Top Flight selection.
- Mango Sticky Rice – A wild IPA with tropical notes. Releases on January 19.
Pryes Brewing Company
- Bohemian Blonde – “We reinterpreted a traditional blonde ale by crafting it with Bohemian malts from Central Europe. Crisp, lemon and floral notes with a dry finish,” says Pryes. Coming out on Saturday.
- Winter IPA infused with pineapple – In limited supply and tapped on Thursday.
Roma Restaurant & Brewery
- Robustus English Stout – 5.6% ABV, 46 IBU.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Belgian Tripel – This brand new Fourier Series release taps today.
Urban Forage Winery and Cider House
- Warm Mead – Top Flight selection. To be available in the taproom for much of the winter.
- Breakfast Stout – Top Flight selection.
- Modern Sahti – 8.5% ABV
Wabasha Brewing Company
- LII – This “Super Pale Ale” pours at 7.8% ABV. Described as dangerously smooth, Wabasha says, “It’s (sic) mild hop aroma compliments the light bitterness on the tongue and slight citrus notes from the Mosaic and Cascade hops.”
Wicked Wort Brewing Co.
- Burlesque – Two variations will release in bottles at Wicked Wort’s second anniversary party on January 20. Using a base imperial raspberry wheat beer, one release was aged in cabernet barrels, the other in Chardonnay.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Buffalo Right, Seven Heaven – Purple Pilsner.
- Southern Sol – This Crowler-only release is “a mixed-fermentation double IPA conditioned on peach, apricot, cinnamon sticks, and fresh vanilla.” Only 143 cans.
Seasonal or rotating returns
- Walnut Joy – “A rich and complex stout with a forefront aroma of chocolate, roasted dark malts and a slight note of hop bitterness and coconut with a resounding velvet, smooth finish on the palate. Then loaded with black walnuts and more toasted coconut,” the brewery says. 5.6% ABV, 28 IBU.
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- Boat Shoes – An all Vic Secret IPA at 7.5% ABV.
- Raspberry Lemonade – A kettle sour Berliner-style ale made with ripe raspberry and lemon juice. 4% ABV.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- Über Düber – A sparkling ale inspired by Australian beers, this effervescent beer has tropical aromas and a dry finish, plus an ABV of 8.0%. Also, check out the brewery’s “Raiders of the Lost Ark” homage promoting the beer’s return, notably “the swap” from 2017’s bottle format to 2018’s cans. Available starting next week.
Big Wood Brewery
- Big Black Wolf – The black IPA is back on tap 7.4% ABV, 72 IBU.
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Cinnamon Brimstone Tripel – Currently in the taproom.
- Dubbel/Tripel – This is a blend of Hoodoo Dubbel and Brimstone Tripel, a mixture they learned at a monastery visit on a recent trip to Belgium.
- Quad Hopped Quad – Currently in the taproom.
- Pêche – A barrel-aged sour made with peaches. Currently in the taproom.
- Yule 2015 – Currently in the taproom.
Dangerous Man Brewing
- Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout – This special release will be sold in bottles for the brewery’s fifth anniversary on January 20.
Grand Rounds Brewing Co.
- Alien Candy Peanut Butter Milk Stout – Brewed with thoughts of Reese’s Pieces. 5.0% ABV, 15 IBU.
- Mo’ Citra Mo’ Problems – Named after Notorious B.I.G., this Citra- and Mosaic-based beer pours at 8.0% ABV, 65 IBU.
- Keller Pils #39 – Hoops Brewing’s first lager recipe returns. “Our Keller Pils pours slightly cloudy and contains smooth floral notes and a mellow citrus bitterness on the finish,” the brewery says. 5.7% ABV, 31 IBU.
- Pomegranate Rye #9 – “An American-style rye beer made in homage to Sekhmet, the warrior goddess in Egyptian mythology. This beer pours with a crimson hue and offers up sweet aromatics balanced with black pepper flavors, slight caramel sweetness and mild hop bitterness,” the brewery says. 6.0% ABV, 22 IBU.
- Super G LOV – Orange and vanilla flavors define this milkshake IPA.
Klockow Brewing Company
- Münchkin – A late Oktoberfest, Klockow has it on tap now, with its return scheduled for late September.
Lift Bridge Brewing Company
- Silhouette – Lift Bridge’s massive Russian imperial stout returns on Saturday. The brewery describes it as follows: “Brewed in the style of a Russian imperial stout and aged for up to two years in bourbon barrels. Black as a moonless night, this complex beer’s notes of coffee, roasted malt, rich toffee and black licorice meld with an intense roasted character to provide a complex, rich and full body.” 10.5% ABV, 80 IBU.
- Schmaltz’s Alt
Summit Brewing Company
The IPA Collection variety pack is hitting area stores.
- Experimental Hop IPA – Summit says this beer features big flavors of pineapple, coconut, peach, and apricot, describing it as “assertively hoppy with intense aromas of fresh berries, pineapple, apricot, peach and coconut.” 6.0% ABV, 60 IBU. This is the only one to hit area bars.
- Imperial IPA – At 8.5% ABV, this has aromas of tangerine, stone fruit, and lemon. “It’s a big West Coast-style IPA with two dry hop additions and assertive carbonation,” says Summit. “A medium body offers supporting malt notes of caramel and toast, helping you vanquish your thirst without destroying your palate.” 105 IBU.
- Wee IPA – This session-minded ale is tropical and heavily hopped. “Wee IPA will be very juicy and approachable. With tropical punch flavors and a mild malt bill, it avoids that dominating bitterness characteristic of some session IPAs.”
Talking Waters Brewing Company
- Berzerker Imperial Stout – Coming January 20.
Beers just announced
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Barrel-Aged Sour – Coming on Thursday, January 25, only 250 bottles will be available (at the taproom).
Bad Weather Brewing Company
Bent Paddle Brewing
- DusselDIRK Altbier – An ode to Duluth Superior Symphony Orchestra’s conductor Dirk Meyer. DusselDIRK Altbier is a collaboration between German-born Meyer and Bent Paddle, described by head brewer Neil Caron describes as “a kind of a German style amber to brown ale, very malt forward, just a really nice delicate hop aroma to balance it out.”
Excelsior Brewing Company
- 52 Below American Pale Ale – Coming soon.
- Dragon Fruit IPA – Coming soon.
- Golden #3 – Coming soon.
- #52 Lite Lager – Coming January 25.
Indeed Brewing Company
Indeed announced their brand calendar for 2018.
- LSD – Coming later this month.
- Terzo Barrel Blend – Indeed also has a brand new special collaboration with Terzo restaurant, where restaurant staff personally selected a blend from the Wooden Soul barrel room. “Terzo Barrel Blend, is a hand-selected and well-balanced blend that pours a slightly hazy red with flashes of brown and orange,” the brewery says, describing it as “vinous and wine-like, boasting notes of tart red cherry and raisin, along with aromas of sour cherry and dried fruit.” It taps on Wednesday, January 24 at Terzo (with the restaurant also selling Whiskey Queen Imperial Stout and Zwickelbier) and will also be on tap at the brewery in Northeast Minneapolis.
- Unnamed IPA – a new year-round IPA will debut in September, replacing Let It Roll from the regular rotation.
- Wooden Soul series – The series continues with golden sour releases, such as Invisible Piper, to be released in the summer months, and sour red ales, like Cherry Dust, coming in the colder seasons.
- USA vs. Russian – A variety 4-pack only release featuring USA-style lager and Russian-style lager. Coming in late January or early February.
Junkyard Brewing Company
- Slurry DIPA – A New England-style IPA coming in early February.
- 30th Anniversary Ale – To celebrate their third decade, Lakefront will soon release 750-milliliter bottles of this bourbon barrel aged Eisbock. Lakefront says it’s “packed with oak plank, vanilla, dark fruit and brown bread flavor, is a well-suited milestone.” 11.16% ABV, 16 IBU.
- Maibock – A medium-body German-style lager with biscuit and honey aromas that combine with Vienna malts and herbal/spicy hop flavors, the brewery says. 6.8% ABV, 19 IBU.
- Tiny Feet Double IPA – Exclusively sold in the Hoppy Box of Beer sampler pack, this IPA features “loads of tangerine, lemon, mango and pineapple aromas, while malted rye adds a distinct grainy, slightly spicy flavor,” according to the brewery. 8.8% ABV, 63 IBU.
Lift Bridge Brewing Company
- Gray Duck Baltic Porter – Lift Bridge teamed up with Goose Island to produce the first Baltic porter brewed by either company. Draft only.
- Blueberry Ale
- An unnamed sour beer is aging in a French oak Chardonnay barrel with Minnesota-grown elderberries, to debut sometime later as a taproom exclusive at Schell’s Starkeller Brewery in New Ulm.
Surly Brewing Company
- Coconut Bender – Surly’s first beer with a coconut addition for Cask Saturday on January 27.
- Xtra-Citra pale ale with vanilla – New and in limited supply for Infusion Tuesday at the Beer Hall on January 23.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.