With well over 100 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up-to-date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
From now until Labor Day it’s fair season in Minnesota, with over 20 unique local beers on tap in regular draft form, rimmed with cinnamon and sugar, or even in a frozen foam. Lift Bridge, Big Wood, and Flat Earth have popular annual beers for the great get-together, while Barley John’s, Summit, and Bent Paddle are offering new recipes to Fair-goers. (Read The Growler’s first impressions of all the new beers here.)
Across the state, Oktoberfests continue to roll out, and Mankato and OMNI have even announced fresh hop offerings. And, of course, the 9th annual Summer Beer Dabbler takes over CHS Field this Saturday. There’s never a dry moment in Minnesota beer.
New beers available this week (August 21–August 27)
- Lingonberry Lager – One of 28 fair-themed drinks the Minnesota State Fair announced this week. This lager is described as “Rich, golden in color, medium-bodied lager with sweet and tart accents.” Available at the fair, running August 24–September 4.
August Schell Brewing Co.
Schell’s has three State Fair options as well:
- Grain Belt Frozen Blu – A twist on Grain Belt Blu from previous years, this blueberry Grain Belt is frozen into a foam and used to top other beers.
- Red, Light, and Blu Frozen Beer – New for the fair, this is a Red Citrus Sangria Beer layered with Grain Belt Frozen Blu and Grain Belt Premium Light.
- Frozen Red Citrus Sangria Beer – A citrus lager.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Lemon Sunshine – Bad Weather brewed a limoncello-inspired ale available at Mancini’s fair location during the Minnesota State Fair.
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- White IPA with Peaches – The weekly Wednesday taproom infusion. Limited to one keg.
Barley John’s Brew Pub
- Dill Pickle Beer – Brewed specially for the fair with fresh dill, horseradish, and spices. Garnished with a dill pickle and havarti dill cheese.
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- Draco – The first bottle out of St. Paul’s Barrel Theory debuts on Sunday. This Berliner weisse includes dragon fruit and passionfruit. It will also be available at Saturday’s Summer Dabbler.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- The Shandlot – Bauhaus’ take on the shandy. Available at the fair.
- Hungarian Cherry Wheat Ale – Bent Brewstillery’s new fair beer, made from American-grown Hungarian tart cherries, was created with the input from the 2016 Minnesota State Fair Homebrew Gold Medal winners.
Bent Paddle Brewing Company
- Mosaic Kanū – To be served at the fair, August 24–September 4.
Boulevard Brewing Co.
- Collaboration No. 7 – An oak-aged lager brewed with Wilderness Brewing Company (AZ) and Creature Comforts Brewing Company (GA). This collaboration features Riesling grape juice, peaches, and lemon zest with a lager base.
Castle Danger Brewery
- Grapefruit Ode IPA – Ode IPA infused with grapefruit. On tap at O’Gara’s at the Fair.
- Peanut Butter Porter – A robust porter with peanut butter debuted last weekend. 5.9% ABV.
Eastlake Craft Brewery
- Kirby Pucker #34 – This sour wheat beer from Eastlake Craft Brewery a take on the classic Berliner weisse, but made with grilled peaches. Trek over to The Ball Park Cafe at the State Fair to find this one. 4% ABV.
Hayes’ Public House
- O’Hanlon’s Imperial IPA –An imperial IPA aged in Wild Turkey barrels for one month, then blended and dry-hopped with Citra and Mosaic. Limited quantities, starting Saturday. 9.0% ABV.
- Blueberry Honey Wheat – Tapped last night, this limited beer is part of HeadFlyer’s Beyond the Door series.
- Adult Red Bull Slushie – Insight brewed a malt beverage that goes into this beer cocktail available at LuLu’s Public House at the fair.
- Duke of Cuke – Insight’s light lager, infused with cucumber, also available at LuLu’s Public House.
- Ordinary Mary – Insight’s malt, mixed with the bloody Mary mix at Lulu’s Public House. State Fair only.
Modist Brewing Company
- Inda Couch – Out at noon today, this is a double IPA and the first creation from new assistant brewer Jackson. “Brewed with oats and English floor-malted barley, and then heavily hopped with lupulin powder, Vic’s Secret, Mosaic, and Denali,” the brewery explains. One-hundred Crowlers will also be sold. 8.6% ABV.
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Vanilla and Black Tea Porter – A limited infusion released on August 22.
- Cmdr. Ryeker – India red ale, 6.0% ABV.
- Crom WI – An IPA featuring Zythos hops. 6.0% ABV.
Portage Brewing Company
- Burntside – A cocoa wheat porter. 6.5% ABV, 45 IBU.
- Lakefellow – A 6.0% ABV wild pale ale brewed with Nugget, Cascade, and Mosaic hops with a flaked oat addition.
Sociable Cider Werks
- Raspberry Hard Cider – Three apple varieties and raspberry puree go into this fair-themed cider.
- Candy Apple Hard Cider – This cider blends Honeycrisp, Haralson, and SweeTango apples with a caramel touch.
Summit Brewing Company
- Lazy Slipper – This fair-only beer uses all Minnesota-grown ingredients. Summit describes it as “a refreshing blonde ale with complex malt notes of toast, breadcrumb, and graham cracker balanced by gentle hop characteristics of lemon, green tea, and grapefruit.” It also includes strawberries grown at the University of Minnesota. 4.9% ABV.
Surly Brewing Company
- Unbined – New Intelligent Design #2. This is a gruit—a beer without hops. Instead, Unbined has a large herb bill that is then “dry-hopped” on grapefruit and orange zest, lemon balm, and fresh rosemary. With a tea-like aroma, Surly describes it as “refreshing and drinkable.”
Unmapped Brewing Company
- Apricot Sour Eclipse – A 5.0% ABV, 8 IBU sour ale in Minnetonka.
- Raspberry Prairie – A fruit beer that debuted last weekend. 4.6% ABV, 17 IBU.
WarPigs USA Brewing Co.
- Lazurite IPA – A flagship IPA fromWarPigs USA Brewing Co., the international collaboration between 3 Floyds Brewing Co. and Mikkeller. It went on tap at The Ball Park Cafe on August 24 and will be on tap at the company’s Minnesota launch party at the Triple Rock Social Club on August 27 at 6pm.
- Salmon Pants Lager – A full-flavored, hoppy premium lager, available on tap at the official launch party on Sunday.
- Foggy Geezer Hazy IPA – A hazy, dry-hopped IPA available on tap at the official launch party on Sunday.
Seasonal or rotating returns
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Blood Orange Traitor – Back on tap in Shakopee.
Big Wood Brewery
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Beer – “With hints of chocolate and vanilla. Each glass is rimmed with semi-sweet chocolate,” says a fair press release.
Burning Brothers Brewing
- Irish Red Ale – At the taproom, now through Labor Day. 4.9% ABV, 25 IBU.
Excelsior Brewing Co.
- Maple Bacon Brown – Brown ale with Minnesota maple syrup for a hint of sweetness.
Flat Earth Brewing Company
- S’More Beer – Cygnus X-1 Porter with all the classics of campfire s’mores. “Each glass is rimmed with chocolate, dipped in crushed graham crackers and topped off with a marshmallow,” says the State Fair.
Founders Brewing Co.
- Mosaic Promise IPA – A seasonal IPA to be sold in 15-packs through November. 5.5% ABV.
- Frontier Amarillo IPA – A crisp and hoppy IPA to be served at Frontier Bar on the fairgrounds.
- Hopstar – Back for good, says Fulton Twitter.
Jack Pine Brewery
- Bonfire S’mores Stout – This special stout hits taps again at Jack Pine Friday, August 25. The brewery also canned about 50 cases of four-pack cans that will hit local store shelves starting next week.
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Sweet Corn Summer Ale – This beer was made with real sweet corn and will be available at the Minnesota State Fair.
- Original Beergarita – From across the river in Chippewa Falls, this margarita mix is blended with Honey Weiss, to be served at Tejas Express at the State Fair this year.
Lift Bridge Brewing Company
- Mini Donut – Mini Donut returned for Mini Donut Day at the taproom on August 23. The beer is also back on tap at Ball Park Cafe at the fair this year.
- Sleepwalker IIIPA – One of two special releases at Saturday party on August 26.
- REM (Real English Monster) – A barrel-aged English-style Barleywine to debut on August 26.
- Fresh Hopped IPA – Brewed on Wednesday with hops from Minnesota Hops Company in Madelia.
- Minnesota Mule Cider – Apples, lime, and ginger make up this ciderized version of a Moscow Mule. State Fair only.
Beers just announced
- Oktoberfest – A weekend celebration from September 15–17.
- Larry’s Latest Sour Ale – Named in honor of founder Larry Bell, this 5.0% ABV sour comes to cans, kegs, and bottles next February.
Boulevard Brewing Co.
- Dark Truth – Imperial stout at 9.7% ABV, 60 IBU.
- Docktoberfest – A traditional märzen beer for Excelsior’s October 6-8 party. Ten bands will play over the three-day event.
- Milfoil Lake House Saison – Coming soon, says the brewery’s website.
OMNI Brewing Co.
OMNI celebrates their second anniversary from September 22–24 with four special releases.
- F.A.D. (Frickin’ Awesome Delicious) – A hazy DIPA releasing on September 22.
- Raspberry Milk Shake IPA – Also out on Friday, September 22.
- Soaked 2017 – Fresh-hopped and available on Sunday, September 24.
- The Sour One – OMNI’s first sour offering debuts on Saturday, September 23.
Steel Toe Brewing
- Hoptread No. 2 – A new experimental IPA will be out next week in St. Louis Park. This one aims for a juicy hop character using a similar malt bill as No. 1. “Loaded with new hop varieties to impart big aroma and flavor components reminiscent of pineapple, cantaloupe, peach and guava. A present but subtle bitterness imparts just enough to cut the slight sweetness,” says the brewery. 7.0% ABV, 55 IBU.
- Receptional – The Oktoberfests keep coming. This one is described as “highly drinkable with balanced, smooth flavors of malt and biscuit.” Utepils celebrates Oktoberfest September 15–17.
Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at new[email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.