With over 170 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
It’s St. Patrick’s Day on Sunday, but most tap lines are ready to celebrate the raucous Irish holiday all weekend long. There are many Irish stouts and red ales pouring across the state, plus a few creative (and green) radlers and session beers.
The Irish-inspired FINNEGANS is one party spot this weekend, celebrating the holiday and also the first anniversary of their own taproom space. In addition, BlackStack just released a beer for its second anniversary, and Yoerg recently tapped its first in-house beer, a hefeweizen.
For those who want something other than St. Patrick’s in theme, there are plenty of light-body session beers, including kettle sours, golden ales, and springtime hibiscus releases.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
FINNEGANS Firsties (Minneapolis)
This imperial Irish ale is the official anniversary beer. Using a base of FINNEGANS Irish Ale, this version has more malt and caramel character, plus more alcohol (7.5% ABV). Available on Sunday, March 17.
56 Peach Cobbler IPA (Minneapolis)
Not every beer this weekend is green or Irish in theme. To tap on Saturday at the taproom, 56’s Peach Cobbler IPA is “an IPA brewed with heaps of oats, then dry-hopped with Citra and Cashmere. Conditioned on fresh peach puree and vanilla,” the brewery says. It pours at 6.7% ABV, 40 IBU and will also be available in two limited flavors: vanilla cream with coconut, and blueberry with vanilla variants. In limited Crowlers beginning March 20.
Bent Brewstillery Coileáin (Roseville)
“An old school recipe that stands on the line between your standard black stout and the more malty red ales,” the brewery says of this 4.3% ABV Irish red stout. “Fermented on Hungarian Oak. Notes of Dutch-processed cocoa and chocolate biscuits. Ribena and stewed strawberries. Finishing dry with a ristretto espresso bite yet thoroughly sating.”
BlackStack 2 On (St. Paul)
This double dry-hopped triple IPA was released to celebrate two years into business at BlackStack. At 10.1% ABV, it showcases Strata, Sabro, Motueka, and Galaxy hops.
Tin Whiskers Irish Coffee Tiny Circuit Nitro (St. Paul)
Tapping on Saturday, March 16, this version of the brewery’s Tiny Circuit Stout is made with whiskey-soaked oak and served on nitro for a velvety smooth body.
New beers available this week (March 11–March 17)
- Peach Cobbler IPA – Top Flight selection.
608 Brewing Company
- PButtaface – “Silky with a nose of peanut butter and flavor of chocolate and lingering peanut butter,” the La Crosse brewery says of this 6% ABV milk stout aged on Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.
AEGIR Brewing Co.
- Call Me A Cab – This 8.8% ABV “Cabernet Sauvignon ale” tapped last week.
- Belgian Lager – Tapped on March 8 at the brewery.
- SMaSH Pale Ale V3 – “Notes of orange, vanilla, berry, and tropical fruits can be found throughout this beer,” the brewery says. Made with experimental hop X06297, now known as Lotus, plus pale malt from Maltwerks in Detroit Lakes.
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Dearg McHill – A new Irish red ale.
- bevy – A new hard seltzer to debut at Bent’s St. Patrick’s Day Cocktail Party this Saturday, which also features beer and cocktails. The fizzy gluten-free option will feature cocktail-inspired flavors such as Moscow Mule, Sex on the Beach, and Mojito. 5% ABV and on-draft only.
Big Axe Brewing
- Tangerine Kettle Sour – A clean, crisp, and tart sour pale ale with hints of citrus and tangerine. 6.5% ABV, 18 IBU.
- 2 On – Top Flight selection.
- Empty Gesture – Tapped last week at the brewery, this is a 4.8% ABV boysenberry passion fruit apricot Berliner weisse.
Boathouse Brewing Co.
- Dry Irish Stout – On nitro at the brewery leading up to St. Patrick’s Day.
- Irish Red Ale
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Tennessee Whiskey Barrel Aged Belgian Chocolate Stout – Available today, this Belgian chocolate stout spent four months aging in a Sour Mash whiskey barrel and pours at 5.2% ABV with a fluffy head, plus light whiskey and chocolate notes, the brewery says.
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
- Maverick & Gose – A light-bodied key lime cherry gose with coriander and salt. 4.7% ABV, 9 IBU.
Drastic Measures Brewing
A new brewery opens in Wadena this weekend. Taps include:
- Humble Mumble Double Milk Stout
- Oatie American Blonde
- Pat McCrotch NEIPA
- Richard Cranium ESB
- Traditional Gose
Drekker Brewing Company
- Chipper Imperial Stout – Made with Chippers (chocolate covered potato chips), cacao nibs, vanilla, potatoes flakes, and sea salt.
- Fluff Buddy Marshmallow Double IPA
Dual Citizen Brewing Company
- Dewey Kettle Sour – A Lactobacillus kettle sour with grapefruit peel and hibiscus flower. Available today.
- Hillcrest Peated Stout Nitro Variant – A creamy and smooth stout with rich and smoky flavors. On tap this Saturday at the brewery for a limited time.
- Palisade – A dry cider with Palisade hops and subtle, earthy lime notes, the cidery says.
Earth Rider Brewery
- Blackbecrush – On tap at 5pm today, this kettle-soured wheat ale, made with blackberries, is light, refreshing, and tart, the brewery says.
Eastlake Craft Brewery
- Rad Easy – “A hoppy American wheat brewed with Amarillo and Ekuanot hops for a big citrus crush,” the brewery says.
FINNEGANS Brew Co.
There are three new releases lined up at FINNEGANS as they celebrate both St. Patrick’s Day and first anniversary of their Minneapolis taproom. Available, in order of release:
- Jacqued Up – An 8.7% ABV double IPA named after founder Jacquie Berglund. “This double IPA is packed with 7.2 pounds of hops per barrel, making it the most heavily hopped beer FINNEGANS has ever released. With notes of peach, mango, and tropical fruit, its flavor is as fun and bold as its namesake,” the brewery proclaims. Available today, March 15.
- George Lager – A Helles pale lager aged in Minnesota white oak barrels that the brewery says is crisp, light-bodied, and with notes of lemon, orange, oak, and an oak-boosted hint of caramel and smoke. 6% ABV. A limited variant will also include blueberries. Available Saturday, March 16.
- Firsties – Top Flight selection.
- Magic Bars – Inspired by 7-layer bars, this 9.0% ABV, 18 IBU pastry stout was made with butterscotch, coconut, walnuts, vanilla, marshmallows, and cacao nibs. Crowlers sold out fast.
- Possessed – A 9.3% ABV, 35 IBU golden strong ale fermented in oak barrels.
- Young Hops – A new 7% ABV, 30 IBU hazy IPA with notes of green mango, wildflower, and tropical fruits.
Half Brothers Brewing Company
- Gimme the Juice – A hazy IPA with juicy pineapple flavors. 6.8% ABV, 40 IBU.
- Tavern Drum ESB – “A pleasantly delicate aroma, with a hint of berry and caramel, followed by a touch of biscuity, dry cracker-like malt flavor offset by a heap of whole cone British hops,” the brewery says. 5% ABV, 38 IBU.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Total Banger – This is the launch beer for Buffalo Wild Wings’ MN Brew Series. Available at most of the restaurant’s in-state locations now, it’s a double dry-hopped double IPA with a silky mouthfeel and a combination of Amarillo, Chinook, and Centennial hops. 8.8%, 80 IBU.
Invictus Brewing Co.
- Cerise Blossom – A straw-colored Belgian-style blonde ale with a fluffy white head, plus cherry, lemon, clove, and bubblegum notes, the brewery says. 5.2% ABV, 20 IBU.
Jack Pine Brewery
- Brewer’s Reserve Trespass – A barrel-aged imperial porter made with Brett for earthy and tart cherry notes to complement the imperial porter base. Available today.
- Sneak Peak – A 5.2% ABV honey golden ale.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Bavarian Almond Bros – A 7.5% ABV blond ale with roasted almonds, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Jelly the Nut – A peanut butter and jelly stout.
Kinney Creek Brewery
- MAC – A new 5.6% ABV Brut IPA.
Lakeville Brewing Co.
- A. Suh Dude – A 6.5% ABV, 60 IBU India pale lager.
- Sophistry #2 – A 7.5% ABV and the second in the Sophistry series.
- Sword Maiden – A 6% ABV smoked porter.
Montgomery Brewing Company
- Hop Junkies – Cascade IPA – This session IPA pours at 5.2% ABV, 38 IBU.
Pantown Brewing Company
- Clodoald Doppelbock
Roets Jordan Brewery
- Irish – A dry Irish stout.
- Radler – In the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day, this Shamrock Radler features lime, blue agave, and green food coloring.
- Desert Warrior – This 6.7% ABV, 55 IBU American IPA was made with Warrior, Citra, and Centennial hops.
Stacked Deck Brewing
- Kilty Pleasure – A new St. Patrick’s Day dry Irish stout.
The Nordic Brewing Co.
- Munth of Munch – An new 8.5% ABV double IPA.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
The St. Paul brewery is celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with special releases on March 16, including:
- Double Chocolate Tiny Circuit Nitro Stout – Available Saturday, March 16 at the brewery.
- Grasshopper Kolsch – Made with mint and chocolate and a naturally bright green hue.
- Irish Coffee Tiny Circuit Nitro – Top Flight selection.
- Whiskey Sour Berliner Weisse – Made with lemon, lime, and whiskey-soaked oak.
Town Hall Brewery
- Golden Crystal – A 5.7% ABV filtered American wheat ale that pours a clear gold in color and has soft fruit notes.
Utepils Brewing Co.
- Radler – One of two new releases today, this is a beer infused with sparkling raspberry lemonade.
- Tall Tails – The first release in the new Weekender series, this is an American-style IPA is on tap at the brewery today and it will make its way to bars and liquor stores soon.
Venn Brewing Company
- Amarillo Cascade NE IPA – Venn describes this 6.1% ABV, 45 IBU IPA as “Old school West Coast IPA meets new school New England IPA…Hazy, citrus, soft.”
- Doppelbock – “A German-style Doppelbock, starring floor malted dark malt and Munich malts, producing a full-bodied beer, balanced by Cluster and noble hops, with a clean, dry finish,” the brewery says. 6.6% ABV
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Sting of the Thorn – A beer/mead hybrid aged in blackberry mead barrels, this will debut on March 16. 10.2% ABV and described as “tart and jammy.”
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Vacation Mode – A new milkshake IPA made with tropical fruits including mango, guava, and passion fruit, plus lactose and vanilla. 7% ABV.
Yoerg Brewing Co. Saloon
- Hefeweizen – A very limited supply of Yoerg’s first new beer introduction in 75 years tapped at the St. Paul brewery last weekend.
Seasonal or rotating returns
12welve Eyes Brewing
- Golden Ale – “This beer is light, with subtle toasted malt character and citrus from the light hop additions,” the brewery notes.
- Midnight Snack Chocolate Stout – A stout made with chocolate malt, plus 12 pounds of cocoa nibs. This dessert-like beer taps on Saturday at the brewery, including three special infusions:
- Fresh Mint Infusion – Available from 12pm–8pm. (Returning from last year.)
- Blueberry Infusion – Tapping at 2pm. (New)
- Raspberry Infusion – Tapping at 5pm. (New)
Avery Brewing Co.
- Bug Zapper – A refreshing style sour ale with mint, ginger, and lime.
Bald Man Brewing
- Purple Haze, Bro – Bald Man’s New England-style IPA is getting a limited release in cans, to be sold at limited liquor stores in 4-packs of 16-ounce cans.
- Coileáin – Top Flight selection.
- Hookahs and Blow – First brewed for Ansari’s Mediterranean’s 10th anniversary, this pineapple, dragonfruit, passion fruit, peach, and guava Berliner weisse is back on tap to celebrate BlackStack’s second anniversary. 4.4% ABV.
- Patience – With notes of toffee, caramel, and toasted rye bread, Patience American barleywine is the featured beer at the Fulton taproom for a limited time.
Hoops Brewing Company
- #1120 Peach and Pear Wheat Ale – This is a 5% ABV, 15 IBU American wheat ale infused with peach and pear puree.
- Petal Pounder – The hibiscus saison is back in 16-ounce cans and on draft. The beer is tart, pink, and brewed with real hibiscus petals. 5.5% ABV, 20 IBU. “Coriander adds a slight zest, while real hibiscus petals lend a rich pink hue and cranberry flavor,” the brewery says.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Hatchet Jack – Baltic porter
Lake Superior Brewing
- Split Rock Bock – “The chocolate and caramel malts create a blend of dark fruits, chocolates and toasted nut flavors. With no less than five malts to give a rich full body and an aggressive, (but wanted) extra hind-leg kick to keep you luxuriously warm during the late winter months,” says Duluth’s oldest brewery. 6.0% ABV, 10 IBU.
- Javatized – A 6% ABV coffee stout.
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Castro’s Reserve – This rum barrel-aged cigar-smoked imperial brown ale is back at the brewpub. Released in limited supply last Saturday.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Driftwood – This 10.5% ABV bourbon barrel-aged Russian imperial stout is available today at the brewery in 750-milliliter bottles.
Beers just announced
- Solarama Crush – This eco-minded beer returns with two special taproom release events on March 20 and March 23. “[It’s] a double dry-hopped American IPA made with honey harvested from apiaries on flowering solar farms and Kernza perennial grain,” 56 says, plus a blend of Citra, Loral, Zeus, and Enigma hops. 7% ABV, 30 IBU, and coming to 16-ounce cans on April 1.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Munich Dunkel – The next release in the Valve Jockey series taps on March 22.
Birch’s on the Lake
- Chocolate Hazelnut Stout – This Nutella-like beer was brewed this week and will be ready in about a month, the brewery says.
- Unnamed Saison – The day after International Women’s Day, a group of women in the Fargo-Moorhead brewing industry teamed up on a saison with rosemary and the Pink Boots Society hop blend.
Dual Citizen Brewing Company
- Spring Pale Ale – A new sessionable pale ale with Mandarina Bavaria hops and orange peel will tap next Wednesday, March 20.
- Sunken City – The 7.8% ABV saison with Sauvignon Blanc grapes returns next month.
- Double IPA – LTD teamed up with Insight for an upcoming double IPA collaboration made with Galaxy and Citra hops.
Reads Landing Brewing Co.
- Cap’n Amber – This cereal-sweetened amber ale is in the fermentor now, the brewery announced on Facebook.
- Espresso Totalitarian Russian Imperial Stout – This is available now at Stone facilities, and it hits national distribution later this month.
Urban Forage Winery & Cider House
- Blueberry Melomel – “With blueberries from the Bayfield peninsula and honey from a farm near Sleepy Eye, this may be a blend of the best that the Midwest has to offer,” Urban Forage says. Release date TBA.
Venn Brewing Company
- Citra Sparklez – This will be a dry American sparkling ale, pouring at 4.9% ABV, 20 IBU and dry-hopped with Citra.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Women’s Day White IPA – Set to tap on Friday, March 29.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.