With well over 100 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up-to-date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
There is always a celebration and cause to find positive vibes amid the turmoil of the news cycle. This week’s beer scene includes the celebrations at Wild Mind, Boom Island, and HammerHeart. Meanwhile, The Herkimer raises funds for a good cause.
In Northeast, Red Stag Supperclub will host the annual In Cahoots! party, which emphasizes the collaborative spirit of craft beer as 14 breweries combine to make seven one-of-a-kind creations for the day.
New beers available this week (July 31–August 6)
- Mango Saison – Now on tap, this saison was brewed with Amarillo hops and 200 lbs. of mango. 5.8% ABV.
Able Seedhouse + Brewery
- Norden Portage German IPA – Made in collaboration with Bent Paddle Brewing Co. for In Cahoots! on August 6, this is a German IPA, brewed using classic German malts, new school German hops, and a spike of American lemongrass.
Angry Inch Brewing
- Bourbon Barrel-Aged Backwoods Brown Ale – Released for their anniversary party on July 28. On tap and in the bottle.
- True Confessions – “Sweet caramel nose, light in body with hints of dates, raisins, and figs on the finish,” says the brewery’s website. ABV 7.2% IBU 23.
August Schell Brewing Company
- Minnesotan Country Lager – Made in collaboration with Indeed Brewing Co. for In Cahoots! on August 6, this is a “landbier,” or country lager, made with New Ulm malt, hops from Indeed, and lager yeast from both breweries, fusing together New Ulm and Northeast in a rich, toasty, and tropical brew. 5.1% ABV, 38 IBU.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Amber Luxe – Made in collaboration with Fulton Beer for In Cahoots!, this amber-hued ale is infused with botanicals and citrus. 6.25% ABV, 20 IBU.
Bald Man Brewing Inc.
- Cherry Bomb Wheat Ale
- Dent – Made in collaboration with Fair State Brewing Co-Op for In Cahoots!, Dent is an all-organic old-school cereal mash adjunct lager. 4.7 ABV, 30 IBU.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- Cobra Kai Lime Apple Pils – Made in collaboration with Sociable Cider Werks for In Cahoots!, Cobra Kai is freshly pressed Midwestern apples blended with brewed Pilsner malt, fermented dry with the the Bauhaus haus lager yeast, then sweetened with fresh-pressed key limes. 6.0% ABV, gluten removed.
- Campo – New from the Funked Up series, debuting at 2:30 pm on Friday. This beer is all Minnesota, with grapes from the St. Croix River Valley, plus local hops, barley, and microflora.
- Local 755 1/2 – A hazy IPA dry hopped with Citra and Galaxy. On tap and in Crowlers.
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Oude Funk – The latest from the Spontaneous Series debuts tomorrow, August 5. This beer is described as “a blend of three year, two year and one year old vintages of barrel aged and spontaneously fermented beer…Slightly tart and acidic, with a light effervescent body and indescribable complexity.” 4.8% ABV.
Copper Trail Brewing Company
- Just the Tip – A spruce tip beer now on tap in Alexandria.
HammerHeart Brewing Co.
- Bog Burial – Batch 200 from HammerHeart, “This beer is dominantly peat smoked malt, with peat smoked hops, aged is [sic] Islay scotch barrels,” says the brewery. Released on Aug. 2.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
There are four new beers available in Moorhead this week:
- Experimental Sour – Raspberry Gose
- Promised Land IPA
- Silverback Vanilla Porter
- Uncrushable Imperial Stout
LTS Brewing Company
- Quick Witted Infused with Lavender – A Belgian-style witbier with unmalted wheat, coriander, orange peel and the addition of lavender, limited to one keg. ABV 5.2%, 26 IBU.
Steel Toe Brewing
- Sticky Bubbler – Made in collaboration with Surly Brewing Company for In Cahoots!, this is a super dry-hopped American lager with a resiny, sticky, dank aroma and a dry finish.
The Herkimer Pub and Brewery
- India Pale Lager – A special August 5 release for the Domestic Abuse Project and the Natalie Beissel Scholarship Fund, raising funds for domestic violence awareness.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- High Side Pale Ale – Brewed with with Southern Cross, Zythos, and Ekuanot hops. On tap today. 5.0% ABV.
Urban Growler Brewing Company
- Berliner Weisse – Now available, according to a brewery newsletter.
Wicked Wort Brewing Company
- Bean There Coffee Stout – 6.4% ABV, 27 IBU.
- German Pale Ale – 6.3% ABV, 45 IBU.
- Moon Stomper Double IPA – 8.0% ABV, 65 IBU.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Round One: A Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Imperial Sour — The first anniversary beer from Wild Mind in south Minneapolis will debut on August 5. This is a wild ale brewed with pineapple puree, vanilla beans, and lactose, then conditioned on French oak. It will be on tap and in limited bottles.
- Vivid Gold Triple IPA with Mosaic Lupulin Powder – Wild Mind is giving their TIPA a new twist for their first anniversary party. “This beer is hazy, juicy, resinous, and will end up being around 11% ABV,” the brewery says. There will be 500 to 600 Crowlers available on August 5.
Seasonal or rotating returns
- Babe the Blue Ox – 10K has their cream ale back on tap. 4.7% ABV.
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- Rain Drops – the Northeast-style IPA with Citra & Mosaic hops, is back on tap at Barrel Theory. 7.5% ABV.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Barrel-Fermented Du Pounde – On tap last night and in bottles on Sunday. “The mixed culture, oak-fermented version of our flagship Saison. Brewed with malted wheat and barley and lightly hopped, this version is tart, funky, and oaky, BFD# is a blend of our favorite barrels from the cellar. 5.2 ABV, 25 IBU,” says Fair State. It was previously available at their Mixed Culture 2017 event.
- Curation – On tap last night and in bottles on Sunday. “A plum sour blending mature barrel-fermented pale sour beer re-fermented on plum puree. Juicy stonefruit, oak, acidity, and funk. 4.9 ABV, 23 IBU,” Fair State says of the beer that won “Best Beer” at All Pints North 2017.
- Lichtenhainer – On tap last night and in bottles on Sunday. “It uses the same Bavarian wheat beer yeast as hefeweizen and a collection of ‘wild’ yeast & acid-producing bacteria. Hypnotically smoky, funky & fresh. 5.1 ABV, 10 IBU,” says the brewery.
- Hibiscus BrewCo – Hibiscus saison returns to the taproom today.
- Doe Eyes – Insight’s saison plus Door County cherries returns at Fruit Jamboree on August 5.
- Leche de Kittay – A cream ale with lactose and vanilla. 5.1% ABV.
- Somos Extremos – Coffee golden ale, now available. 6.5% ABV.
Urban Growler Brewing Company
- Blueberry Wheat – Return of this Plow to Pint Series beer.
- Sticky Rice – A one-of-a-kind beer, back on tap in St. Paul
Three flagships are coming to metro liquor stores soon, sold in 4-packs of 16 oz. cans:
- Alt 1848 – Düsseldorf Style Altbier
- Copacetic – Kölsch-style
- Ewald the Golden – Bavarian Style Hefeweizen
Beers just announced
Boulevard Brewing Co.
- Berliner Weisse – This rotational beer is coming to liquor stores and bars soon.
- Tough Kitty Milk Stout – A seasonal release on its way.
- Winter is Here! – Actually, it’s still summer. But Season 7 of Game of Thrones is here! This Belgian-style double white ale features Night King on the label and will be sold in 750-milliliter bottles as well as gift packs with Fire and Blood Red Ale.
HammerHeart Brewing Company
- Blåtand – An imperial blueberry IPA debuts in bottle form on Aug. 12 at the taproom. The brewery promised additional rare beers on tap that same day.
- Imperial Longship – Debuts in bottle form on Aug. 12 at the taproom.
Jack Pine Brewery
- Bonfire S’mores Stout – Bonfire, formerly known as Campfire, will return soon.
Lift Bridge Brewing Company
- Harvestör – Fresh hop season is just around the corner, as this beer will be prepped at the annual Pickin’ And Grinnin’ event on Sept. 8.
- Mini Donut – Another big event is just around the corner as well: the Minnesota State Fair. Mini Donut returns for Mini Donut Day at the taproom on August 23. The beer will also be tapped at Ball Park Cafe at the fair this year.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Schottky Pumpkin – The fall seasonal made with real pumpkin returns. In cans starting on August 14 and debuting on tap on Sept. 8.
- Fourier Series: Mosaic & Simcoe IPA – A new juicy IPA with tropical notes. 5.2% ABV.
Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.