With well over 100 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up-to-date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
It’s been a big week. Election Day saw new mayors elected in Minnesota’s largest two cities and on Saturday we honor our country’s veterans, with several breweries around the state offering special promotions to those who have served. In the beer world, 10K Brewing and Town Hall Tap are celebrating anniversaries as well.
Many new beers were announced this week. The biggest news may be the release of Summit’s 2018 schedule. Beaver Island, Wicked Wort, and Tin Whiskers also have themed beers on their calendars in the near future.
Finally, those who are lucky enough to be near the North Shore this weekend have a chance to swing by Bent Paddle, where a limited supply of Double Shot Double Black will debut this Saturday. Here in the Twin Cities, Able is releasing the first beer they’ve brewed with house-malted grains, Seeded, and Commander comes to Stillwater’s Lift Bridge Brewing taproom.
New beers available this week (November 6–12)
10K celebrates their second anniversary with a (weather pending) outdoor concert and three special releases on November 11.
- Barrel Aged Wee Heavy Scotch Ale
- Coconut Moose Nuts
- White Knuckle Lager
12welve Eyes Brewing
- SMaSH IPA
Able Seedhouse + Brewery
- Seeded – A new rye brown ale made with a portion of house-malted rye, grown by Far North Spirits in Hallock, Minnesota, and was malted on-premise in Northeast Minneapolis. Offers notes of honey, burnt sugar, chocolate and nuttiness, the brewery says, in a hybrid of English and American brown ale styles. 6.2% ABV, 30 IBU.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Iron Kilt Wee Heavy – “As the larger, louder and boozier northern cousin to our Irish ale, this Scottish Wee Heavy is a sweet toasted, bready malty delight, expressing it’s (sic) Highland brogue with a light hop bitterness,” the brewery says.
Back Channel Brewing
- Rail King Pale Ale – Described as “Moderately malty with light caramel undertones,” this Citra pale ale is 5.9% ABV, 40 IBU.
- Iron Ranger Stout – With chocolate notes, roast, and light bitterness, this stout pours at 6.6% ABV, 52 IBU.
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- The Magic Man – An IPA featuring Galaxy hops. 7.1% ABV.
Boom Island Brewing
- Pêche – A Spontaneous Series release, this peach and apricot beer is spontaneously fermented in oak casks and blended before bottling. Taproom and 750-milliliter bottles only, debuting today, November 10. 4.8% ABV.
- ChocoBock – A bock beer with chocolate malt and cacao nibs. 6.7% ABV, 10 IBU, in 22-ounce bombers.
- Lingerer – A citrus-forward American IPA with a light, wheat-filled body. 6.8% ABV, 70 IBU.
Fair State Brewing Co-Op
- Dr. Spaceman – A hazy beer made in collaboration with Brooklyn, New York’s Threes Brewing.
- Pudding Problems – This imperial porter is inspired by Neapolitan ice cream and was brewed with strawberries grown in Northfield.
- Sól – Old Norse for sun, this is a variation on the brewery’s Sköll och Hati. Sól is a smoked chocolate stout with Door County cherries and cocoa nibs. Available today at the taproom by the glass and in 750-milliliter growlers.
- It Was All A Dream with tangerine – New in the Beyond the Door series, this version of HeadFlyer’s NE IPA is loaded with tangerine. 7.2% ABV.
- #1120 Peach and Pear Wheat– “This American Wheat beer has been infused with Peach and Pear puree. A lacy white head tops this golden-hued ale. Sweet fruit aromas dominate and are carried through prominently in the flavor,” the brewery says. 5.0% ABV, 18 IBU.
- #96 Blueberry Pale Ale – “This pale ale is nicely hopped with mosaic and lemon drop then was moved onto 750 pounds of Bayfield, Wisconsin, blueberries. The result is very balanced Hoops-centric pale with juicy fruit and an fetching purple hue,” says the brewery. On draft today at the Hoops Brewing taproom. 5.5% ABV.
- #5051 Dunkelweizen –“We continue to brew wheat beers cuz we like them. This chocolate banana roundhouse is dry finishing and thirst quenching,” says the brewery. On draft today at the Hoops Brewing taproom.
Lake Monster Brewing
- Monster SMASH 7.0 – Lake Monster’s seventh SMaSH features English Pearl malt and Cashmere hop. “Cashmere is very pungent hop with a complex combination of tropical and herbal flavors, with notes of pear, melon, lemongrass and even a hint of coconut,” the brewery says of their new 5.0% ABV, 45 IBU offering.
LTS Brewing Company
- Wanderer infused with blueberry – Next week’s infusion at LTS is their pale ale with an added blueberry component. 5.1% ABV, 37 IBU.
Roets Jordan Brewery
- Mocha with coffee and vanilla – Available today at the Jordan taproom.
- Roets Stout – A Jamaican-style export stout, available today at the Jordan taproom. 8% ABV.
Rogue Ales & Spirits
- Pilots Pale Ale – A pale ale brewed by actual pilots who now work for the Oregon brewery. It’s described as hazy with a citrus and blueberry bouquet, plus fruity hops and a slight malt sweetness.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Co.
- Fourier Series: Side-By-Side Wild Rice Brown Ales – Two wild rice brown ales released a week ago.
- Fourier Series: Red Rye IPA – Releasing tomorrow (November 11).
Wicked Wort Brewing Co.
- Basket Case IIPA – This Citra and Denali-hopped double IPA debuted on November 3. 8.2% ABV, 66 IBU.
- Mosaic Session IPA – Available now. 4.8% ABV, 50 IBU.
- Oatmeal Stout – 5.3% ABV, 26 IBU.
- To Helles and Bock – 7.1% ABV, 30 IBU.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Winter’s Edge – A barleywine aged in rum and red wine barrels. On tap and in Crowlers.
Seasonal or rotating returns
12welve Eyes Brewing
- Legacy Chocolate Stout – Back on tap and in limited Crowlers.
Angry Inch Brewing
- White Rabbit – An imperial porter infused with Mexican vanilla.
- Time – The malty strong ale returns soon, also coming to select local stores in returnable 750s.
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- MPG – This Berliner weisse with mango, passionfruit, and guava is back on tap since Wednesday. 4.0% ABV.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Double Shot Double Black – The bourbon barrel-aged double black ale with vanilla and cold press coffee returns. Bottles release at the Duluth taproom on Saturday and hit area stores on Monday.
- Smoked Porter – “This 7.6% ABV beer pours a deep dark brown—almost black—with a thick tan head. Aromas of cocoa, burnt sugar, and roasted malt give way to subtle hints of smoke. The flavor follows the aroma with rich notes of cocoa and roasted malt, followed by caramel sweetness and mild smoke. A medium-full body leads to a well-rounded finish with lingering smoke on the back-end,” the brewery says.
Copper Trail Brewing Company
- Copper Scotty – Out today, 7.6% ABV.
- Juicylicious – This popular New England-style IPA returned last week. 6.5% ABV, 60 IBU.
Herkimer Pub & Brewery
- ALT -A57N – After a lengthy hiatus, The Herkimer has brewed this German-style beer again, releasing it a week ago today.
- #5050 Hefeweizen – “A classic Bavarian style wheat ale. This golden German wheat ale features notes of wheat, banana and clove. True to style, we serve this beer unfiltered and hazy,” says Hoops Brewing. 5.5% ABV, 18 IBU.
- #21 IPA – An IPA featuring Pacific Northwest hops, clean in flavor with a dry finish. 7.5% ABV, 100 IBU.
- #48 IPA – This IPA is described as robust and fruity with aggressive hopping. 7.7% ABV, 97 IBU.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Old Friend – This unique winter beer returns, featuring, per Indeed, “flavors of orange, fresh ginger, and honey.” 7.5% ABV, 15 IBU.
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Cranberry Saison – This Farm Series beer with Minnesota-grown cranberries returned yesterday. A saison with added tart to pair with holiday foods. 5.8% ABV, 27 IBU. Also available in bottles.
Lift Bridge Brewing Company
- Commander – Lift Bridge’s barleywine debuts at a bottle release party at the taproom tomorrow, November 11. This year’s version is noted for its excessive malt bill with cardamom and bourbon barrel notes. 12.5% ABV.
New Holland Brewing
- Cabin Fever – Brown ale
- Dragon’s Milk Reserve #4 – A new variation of their bourbon barrel-aged milk stout.
- Driftbuster Winter Ale – Roundhouse says this beer is “Dark, rich, and malty, and flavored with molasses, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, and juniper berries.” Available starting November 8.
Surly Brewing Company
- Simpsons Scottish Ale – This ale with notes of toffee, burnt sugar, and light caramel was available for Cask Tuesday at the Beer Hall this week.
Town Hall Tap
It’s Anniversary Week at Town Hall’s first satellite location on Chicago Avenue, and there were several special releases.
- Blackbarrel Gold – A barrel-aged blackberry Belgian blonde, released on Monday.
- Manhattan Reserve – Barrel-aged cherry grand cru
- Pitstop – Town Hall’s cherry lager, typically only available at Town Hall Station.
- Three Hour Tour – The popular and rich coconut milk stout.
- Twisted Trace – Barrel-aged barleywine
Beers Just Announced
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Imperial Macchiato Stout – Coming on December 21, just in time for Christmas and New Years.
- Mosh with Gargoyle – Brewed on November 2 and coming soon.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- Winterloper – Bauhaus’ Baltic Porter returns next Monday. This smooth and silky porter fuses influence from English porters and Russian imperial stouts for a rich blend of malty goodness. 8.0% ABV, 35 IBU.
Beaver Island Brewing Company
- Check Pils – Hockey Day Minnesota will be celebrated in St. Cloud on December 6 this year. Beaver Island is ready with this Czech-style Pilsner.
- Louie – The brewery also announced a new Oaklore series of limited release bottles. This barrel aged beer will be close to 9% ABV at out in December.
- Magnolia – While listed in alphabetical order here, Magnolia is #1 in the Oaklore series. This is a barrel aged stout at 6.5% ABV, limited to 100 bottles that go on sale at 10am on November 18.
- Revolution III – Coming next February, this is the third installment in the Oaklore series.
- III – Belgian tripel
Indeed Brewing Company
- Mango Helio – Coming November 16, Indeed says, “Mango Helio is a variant of Indeed’s Heliotropic Brett Saison in a fruity parallel universe. After being aged for 5-6 months in oak barrels, Heliotropic was refermented on fresh mango for an additional 2+ months. Flavors of ripe mango, funky brett, and an extra layer of acidity adorn the usual cast of Helio flavors and aromatics.”
- Terror Bear – A new Northeast IPA from Insight, Terror Bear features Citra and Mosaic hops for an aroma of mango, pineapple and passionfruit paired with flavors of orange, tangerine, and grapefruit zest, the brewery says. Coming soon.
Insight will also celebrate three years in business with a bottle release party on November 18, including original Gravity Well and five barrel-aged versions. Among those that have been announced:
- Bourbon Barrel Aged Gravity Well – In this version, the bourbon sweetness counters the bitter hops, accenting chocolate and vanilla notes. 12% ABV.
- Double Barreled Gravity Well – Aged in both rye and bourbon barrels, this offering has spicy and earthy undertones in addition to its high alcohol. 12% ABV.
- Rum Barrel Aged Gravity Well – Sweet sugarcane and rum along with dark fruit character. 12% ABV.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Belgian Dubbel – This Belgian dubbel debuts at the Veteran’s Day Pig & Beer Part at the brewery.
- Mythic Mint Stout – With roasted coffee and chocolate malt, this seasonal stout is out now. 5.6% ABV, 38 IBU.
Summit Brewing Company
The big brewing announcement of the week was made by St. Paul’s venerable Summit Brewing Company. Their 2018 lineup includes several new beers, the return of popular beers from the past, changes to their seasonal 12-packs. To make room, a few standbys have been retired (R.I.P. Horizon Red, True Brit, and Bohemian-style Pilsener), and moving forward the Unchained Series will be a draft only series available at Summit’s beer hall.
New Year-Round Beers:
- Dakota Soul – The first new beer of the new year at Summit, this Czech-style Pils uses barley grown by Mark Stutrud’s cousins in North Dakota. Out in January.
- Keller Pils – This popular release will be year-round starting January.
- Shore Sitter – This traditional white ale releases in April. “With aromas of tangerine, lemon, flowers, and other spices,” it will be available in the 2018 Boundary Waters Box and on draft before it enters the year-round lineup in its own packaging come June.
Old Favorites Making a Return:
- Dark Infusion – This coffee milk stout from 2016 will be the first-ever Unchained Series beer to make a return. It will be sold in the 2018 Summit Penalty Box and on draft in November 2018.
- Lazy Sipper – Premiering at the 2017 Minnesota State Fair, Lazy Sipper returns with more strawberry in the new recipe. It will be sold in the Boundary Waters Box next April.
New IPA Collection in January:
A new 12-pack of IPA will hit stores to start the year. Three new IPAs are joining Sága in that pack:
- Experimental Hop IPA – “features big hop flavors of pineapple, coconut, peach, and apricot.”
- Imperial IPA – “immense aromas of tangerine, stone fruit, and lemon to an 8.5% ABV monster with 105 IBU,” the brewery says.
- Wee IPA – “A heavily hopped, sessionable pale ale with aromas of passionfruit, key lime, and melon.”
Other New Releases:
- Gold Fruited Ale – Features southern hemisphere hops and European malts along with peach and apricot. Available in April.
- Minnesota Harvest Ale – This new beer uses Minnesota grown ingredients: “hops, wild rice, barley, and possibly maple syrup,” the brewery says, admitting it’s still a work in progress. Scheduled for August 2018 release.
- Snow Emergency – “A new, vanilla-infused take on your old favorite Summit Great Northern Porter,” the brewery says, including a cacao nib addition. Coming in November 2018.
- Union Series 7: 120 Shilling Export Scotch Ale – Coming a year from now, Summit says, “A dangerously strong 12% ABV auburn-colored ale with warming aromas of raisins, caramel, toffee, and figs. Brewed as a small batch and aged in wooden hogsheads, it’ll arrive on draft and in 4-packs of 12-oz bottles.”
- Rum barrel-aged beers – Among their panoply of new releases, Summit will also tap a series of exclusive rum barrel-aged beers at Dark Horse in Lowertown:
- Union Series #6 Russian Imperial Stout, tapping November 20.
- Unchained 26: Westie 7th, set for February 2018.
- Two more rum barrel-aged beers will follow in 2018, on a quarterly basis.
Surly Brewing Company
- Overrated – Cask Tuesday is Overrated this week at Surly Beer Hall, where they’ll pair this special version of the IPA with jerk wings and mojo verde sauce.
Tin Whiskers Brewing
- Fourier Series: West Coast IPA – This new IPA uses hops from V3 and the malt from V2 in previous Fourier Series IPAs released on Oct. 6. This debuts on November 24, Black Friday.
Urban Growler Brewing Company
- Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Porter – Urban Growler releases their first bottle on Black Friday at 11am. This imperial porter kicks off their new Barrel Series.
Ward House Brewing
Ward House in Waseca will open next week on November 17. Beers in development include:
- Abbey Ale
- House Kolsch
- House Stout
Wicked Wort Brewing Co.
- Bottle Release #3: Barrel Aged Scotch Ale – Released on November 18, this is Wicked Wort’s Highlander Strong Scotch Ale aged in High West double rye whiskey barrels. 9.3% ABV, 27 IBU.
- Wicked Wood Series #4: Barrel Aged Imperial Red Rye IPA – “Our Stepchild Imperial Red Rye IPA has been aging in high west double rye whiskey barrels,” says the brewery. 8.3% ABV, 85 IBU, available on December 16.
Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at email@example.com to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.