With over 175 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
The Great Minnesota Get-Together is back in action and there’s a lot to talk about, including 53 new specialty State Fair drinks. Outside of the State Fair, there’s a lot more exciting beer news spread out across the Land of 10,000 Lakes.
Boom Island has officially moved to Minnetonka, Tin Whiskers has a host of newly tapped offerings, and Oktoberfest releases continue to hit markets state- and nation-wide. And that’s just the start.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Insight Oak-Aged Belgian Quadruple
Tapped last week, this is a 14% ABV beer aged on peaches for over two years with expected Belgian characteristics, plus ripe peach and wine notes.
Brau Brothers Oktoberfest
Made with Vienna malt and a touch of mild chocolate malt plus German hops, this Märzen-style lager offers notes of caramel and biscuit plus apple and pear hints, the brewery says. 5.9% ABV, 30 IBU.
Modist Fever Dreams
A pink pour double dry-hopped sour IPA brewed with barley, wheat, and oat malts, and conditioned on dragon fruit that imparts tart, tropical fruit flavors along with juicy fruit gum.
Town Hall Eye Of The Storm
A light-bodied honey ale featuring Minnesota-harvested honey. At 9.1% ABV, the beer very complex with sweet honey notes.
Waldmann Barrel-Aged Imperial Berliner
“Made with floor-malted Pilsner and wheat malts and kettle soured with lactobacillus before fermenting with a German ale yeast,” the brewery says. Aged in American oak bourbon barrels for six months. 9.2% ABV.
New beers available this week (August 19–August 25)
22 Norsemen Brewing Co.
- Suomi Pils IPA – “This IPA uses Viking Pilsner malt from the fields of Scandinavia and English yeast which provides a distinct round malt base. The Amarillo and Simcoe hops give this brew a very lemon/citrus-forward hopping. This beer is blond and drinks very bright to compliment the transition from summer to fall,” the brewery says. 6.7% ABV.
Avery Brewing Company
- Stampede – Avery has released a Colorado Gold Lager created with University of Colorado Athletics, to be sold in Colorado, but also in select nationwide locations as well. 4.5% ABV.
- Mexican Chocolate Milk Stout – A milk stout made with cinnamon, chocolate, ancho, chipotle, habanero and ghost peppers, described as similar to the batch served and brewed at Birch’s on the Lake but at 8.4% ABV with more cinnamon up front.
Boom Island Brewing Company
Four special beers will be on tap for Boom Island’s grand opening at their new location in Minnetonka:
- Buffalo Trace Quad – A 10.2% ABV bourbon barrel-aged Belgian-style quad.
- Heaven Hill Brimstone – Bourbon Barrel Aged Belgian-style tripel packing fruit notes and a light hop bitterness at 9.5% ABV
- Oud Bruin – This is a 4.5% ABV Flemish brown sour with fruit notes and balanced hoppiness, Boom Island says.
- Raspberry Aperitif – “A sweet low 4.5% ABV treat, this Belgian-style tart is infused with fresh raspberries and garnished with a raspberry,” the brewery says.
Brau Brothers Brewing
- Mrs. Whitney’s Pale Ale – A pale ale named after Mrs. Whitney, who named the city of Marshall, this is an unfiltered and slightly hazy pale ale with a blend of new and old school hops for mango, pineapple, and honeydew flavors with a hint of fresh-cut grass and sweet malt notes. 4.5% ABV, 25 IBU.
- Oktoberfest – Made with Vienna malt and a touch of mild chocolate malt plus German hops, this Märzen-style lager offers notes of caramel and biscuit plus apple and pear hints, the brewery says. 5.9% ABV, 30 IBU.
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
- Apollo SMaSH – A new contender in the ongoing SMaSH pale ale tournament, this El Dorado-hopped ale has notes of orange, resin and spice. 5.5% ABV, 43 IBU.
- El Dorado SMaSH – A new contender in the ongoing SMaSH pale ale tournament, this El Dorado-hopped ale has notes of tropical fruit flavors, watermelon, pear, candy and stone fruit. 5.5% ABV, 43 IBU.
- Stovepipes Brown Ale – A brown ale brewed in collaboration with Fargo-based band The Stovepipes, with added maple syrup and granola. To debut on Friday, August 24 at Aloha to Summer in Perham. “Stovepipes has a malty, chocolatey sweet and nutty flavor with a hint of maple,” the brewery says.
- Key Lime Pie Slang Du Jour Sour à la Mode – A key lime pie-inspired beer brewed with lime, graham crackers, brown sugar, cinnamon, lactose, and vanilla beans. 6.5% ABV and available in 4-packs.
- Multiple Ectogasms – A double dry-hopped variation of Ectogasm, available this Friday from the Fargo-based brewery.
Eastlake Craft Brewery
- Wizard Mode DIPA DDH – A collaboration with 56 Brewing, 56 debuted their batch last weekend with Eastlake’s tapping this week.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Aperitivo – A brewed cocktail that tapped last week, this is “a bitter and herbaceous sipper, coming in at 13.4%. Spritz is bright, sweet, and very refreshing, clocking in at 8% [ABV],” Fair State says.
Firestone Walker Brewing Company
- Bretta Blanc – Made with grapes from the family vineyard, this is a new ale that the brewery describes as an easy-drinking wild ale with a soft Champagne-like mouthfeel and notes of honeysuckle and honeydew melon.
- Caramel Delight – Tapped at a Clyde Iron Works event this week, “This rich golden ale is brewed to taste like Girl Scouts–Lakes and Pines’ second-most popular cookie! Copious amounts of toasted coconut, cacao nibs, Tahitian vanilla, and caramel sit on top of a rich, malty-sweet background,” Fitger’s explains.
- FoxyRita – A lime margarita inspired gose.
- Pecan Porter
Giesenbräu Bier Co.
- Take Off You Hoser – “A Hopfen ale SMaSH made with Munich 1 malt and Tettnang hops. 4.9% ABV.”
- Wroshyr – Release #5 in the Wookiee series, this is a smoked maple porter brewed with real maple syrup for the Giesen family farm.
Hoops Brewing Company
- #129 Guava Wheat – A 5.2% ABV, 13 IBU, wheat beer with guava juice.
- #889 Cream Ale – A light and flavorful beer with fruit notes and a creamy finish, Hoops says. 5% ABV, 11 IBU.
- Oak Aged Belgian Quadruple – Tapped last week, this is a 14% ABV beer aged on peaches for over two years with expected Belgian characteristics, plus ripe peach and wine notes.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- CitraZaic West Coast IPA – Available in Crowler cans now.
- Clearly Obscure – A New England-style double IPA.
- Midnight Spider Imperial Rocky Road Stout – Available in Crowler cans now.
Lake Superior Brewing Co.
- Smoked Habanero Fest – Duluth’s senior production brewery will feature a different exclusive release each week as part of the one-day-only Saturday Sipper series.
Little Thistle Brewery
- 1 SIC IPA – “Made with Simcoe (S) , Idaho 7 (I) and Centennial (C) hops this IPA is bursting with notes of citrus and pine in aroma and flavor,” the brewery says of this haze-free IPA. 6.5% ABV, 70 IBU.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Black Lager – 5% ABV and on tap at the brewery now.
- Cream Ale – 5% ABV and on tap now.
- Fashion Mullet – A new 6.5% ABV IPA.
- Sota, Not Pop – A hazy, double dry-hopped pale ale with citrus, fruity, and piney notes. 5.0% ABV, 40 IBU.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Fever Dreams – A pink pour double dry-hopped sour IPA brewed with barley, wheat, and oat malts, and conditioned on dragon fruit that imparts tart, tropical fruit flavors along with juicy fruit gum.
Summit Brewing Company
- Elderflower IPA – A limited amount of this unfiltered IPA tapped at the Ratskeller taproom last week.
Talking Waters Brewing Co.
- Oktoberfest – A 5.6% ABV traditional Oktoberfest lager with rich German malts, sweet caramel flavors, and subtle hop spice, the brewery says.
- Twisted Vines – “Expect a sessionable thirst quencher with the perfect balance of sweet, salty and smooth,” Talking Waters says of this 5.3% ABV gose.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- ESB – New in the Fourier series, this was tapped at the brewery on Wednesday.
- Funkenfest – The Oktoberfest lager is back at the brewery now.
- Orange Dream State – Formerly known as Creamsicle Cream Ale in the taproom, this renamed cream ale is the latest Spark series release. Available in cans.
- Vanilla Cold Press Barrel-Aged Black Ale – This is a black ale aged in rye whiskey barrels with vanilla and cold press coffee. Available today at the brewery.
Town Hall Brewery
- 3 Hour Tour – A rich English-style milk stout brewed with lactose and finished with coconut. 6% ABV. Available at the State Fair now and at the brewery on August 26.
- Eye Of The Storm – A light-bodied honey ale featuring Minnesota-harvested honey. At 9.1% ABV, the beer very complex with sweet honey notes.
- Oktober Wiesn – A blonde fest lager inspired by Austrian and Munich light lagers. Available at the State Fair now and at the brewery on August 26.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Chunka Chunka Peanut Butter Love – Tapped at the brewery last week.
- Barrel-Aged Imperial Berliner – “Made with floor-malted Pilsner and wheat malts and kettle soured with lactobacillus before fermenting with a German ale yeast,” the brewery explains. Aged in American oak bourbon barrels for six months. 9.2% ABV.
- Weißbier – “Waldmann uses the yeast strain popular in southern Bavaria, which produce subtle banana and clove flavors. Very lightly hopped, and unfiltered like all Waldmann beers, our Weissbier has the cloudy appearance considered stylistic of all Weißbiers,” the brewery says.
Beers just announced
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Tippin’ It Down – The ESB made with Earl Grey Tea returns to liquor stores (in cans) next week.
- Light Hearted – Coming in early 2020, this is a low calorie IPA that Bell’s says “balanced, flavorful, hoppy and only 3.7% ABV.”
Clown Shoes Beer
- A Fistful of Unidragon – “This bourbon barrel-aged Russian imperial stout will be our final barrel-aged 16 oz can release of 2019,” the brewery said in a recent tweet.
- Specter – Specter returns. Fulton describes this IPA as “a bit blurry” with a creamy mouthfeel. It is aggressively hopped with Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo, and Nelson Sauvin and returns next week.
- MN Rice – A rich, roasty, and nutty porter made with wild rice. 7% ABV, 27 IBU, and available at the taproom next Monday.
Surly Brewing Company
- Damien – Returns in September.
Trout City Brewing
A new brewpub has opened in Preston with guest taps at present but house beers to come shortly after Labor Day, including the following:
- Blonde ale
- Oatmeal stout
- Pale ale
- Rye IPA
- Oktoberfest – This beer will lead Waldmann’s second annual Oktoberfest party on September 27–29.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.