I’ll drop the addition With over 175 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
While pastry stouts, hazy IPAs, and fruited kettle sours take the beer headlines, early fall is the season of traditional lagers and the return of malt-forward flavors. This week sees Oktoberfest parties across the state, plus a 2,000-year-old recipe at Hayes’ Public House.
While Märzens and festbiers are popular (note The Growler’s own Unlabeled tasting tonight), there are plenty of new hoppy beers on the scene too. It’s hop harvest season, with the first wave of fresh hop beers hitting taplines now. And a unique twist on that style from Garphish, who added Norwegian kveik yeast.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Bad Weather Muddy Boot
An oatmeal stout with chocolate and roast flavors and a creamy, velvety body due to the use of oats—also pouring on nitro at the taproom.
56 Brewing Kernza Harvest Lager
The featured special release at Harvest Fest 2019 at the brewery on Sunday, September 22.
Earth Rider Bière de Garde
Newly tapped, this is a 7.1% ABV, 27 IBU French farmhouse-style ale with malty notes along with citrus and spicy hop characteristics.
“This light/crisp ale is brewed with a liberal amount of Scottish heather tips. A recipe that dates back over 2,000 years,” Hayes’ says. 4.7% ABV.
Named for the new album by metal band Crypt Sermon, this is a Belgian-style dubbel that released on September 6 and pours just under 10% ABV.
New beers available this week (September 16–September 22)
- Maple Black – A black ale with maple syrup.
- Kernza Harvest Lager – Top Flight selection.
- UFO Double IPA – The unfiltered double IPA featuring Galaxy hops returns to the taproom today.
- Florida Stanley – A peach pineapple saison that owes its name to an episode of “The Office.” “Florida Stanley is based off the character Stanley from “The Office” when he is sent to Florida for a business trip and transforms into a happy and carefree guy soaking up the sun,” the brewery explains.
- Oktoberfest – A Bavarian-style Märzen lager with toasty, malty character and a medium amber color. 6.2% ABV, 21 IBU.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Blueberry Apricot Earthshake IPA – A milkshake IPA with tart blueberry, sweet apricot, plus Mosaic, Callista, and Citra hops. “Bright from start to finish,” the brewery says. 9.5% ABV, 40 IBU.
- Nummer Eins Oktoberfest – An Oktoberfest lager to release at the brewery’s Oktoberfest party on Saturday, September 21.
Ashby Brewing Company
- Pig Farm Porter – Likely to tap this weekend, the brewery says.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Muddy Boot – Top Flight selection.
- Oktoberfest – To tap at the brewery for a seasonal brewery party this Saturday.
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- Summer Sadness – Made with lime, orange, raspberry, marshmallow, and lactose, this new beer is described as a sherbet-style Berliner.
Birch’s On The Lake
- Enigma IPA – Tapped this Tuesday, this is a 5.8% ABV SMaSH West Coast-style IPA made with Golden Promise barley and Enigma hops. A special release in the brewery’s ongoing fourth anniversary celebration.
Burning Brothers Brewing
- Gazpacho IPA – A hoppy IPA with tropical fruit notes.
Clutch Brewing Company
- Mosquito Juice – Newly tapped, this is a double red IPA aged on blood orange puree. The brewery describes it as a “boozy, juicy delight [that is] dangerously drinkable.” 8.6% ABV.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Dark Mild Reserve – A traditional English dark mild fermented on staves from a Woodford Reserve barrel. Notes of toast, roast, baker’s chocolate, and coffee, plus oak and dark fruit flavors from the stave addition.
- Imperial Pluot Sour – A sour ale brewed with oats, wheat, pluots, lactose, and Amarillo hops.
- Red X IPA – A West Coast–style IPA with a malt backbone, giving it subtle toast and biscuit notes along with stone fruit and citrus bitterness, the brewery says.
Earth Rider Brewery
- Bière de Garde – Top Flight selection.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
It’s Co-Optoberfest at Fair State this Saturday, which also celebrates the Northeast Minneapolis brewery’s fifth anniversary. Taps include:
- Double Mirror Universe – One of many featured beers at Co-Optoberfest, this is a hazy double IPA variation of Mirror Universe, pouring at 8.8% ABV. Crowlers release at 2pm.
- It’s Gold, Jerry! – The annual fresh hop ale returns. Made with Minnesota-grown Mighty Axe hops.
- Peachtea Keen – A mixed fermentation table beer with peach tea.
- Positive Jam – A fruited sour beer made with both blackcurrant and plum.
Garphish Brewing Company
- Hop Innhøst – A fresh hop beer made with Norwegian kveik yeast. “The yeast imparts a tropical fruit flavor that plays really well with Centennial hops,” the brewery says
- Märzen-Gar – A Märzen-style Oktoberfest answered last week. With rich malt-forward flavors, it pours at 5.4% ABV.
Giesenbräu Bier Co.
- Dozinky Pils – Brewed in for the Czech harvest festival this Friday-Saturday in New Prague, this is a crisp, clean, traditional Czech-style Pilsner.
Grand Rounds Brewing Co.
- Hop Bollocks – Grand Rounds’ annual fresh hop beer.
Half Pint Brewing Co.
- Elderberry Sour – Recently tapped at the Waseca brewery.
HammerHeart Brewing Company
- Nehushtan – Top Flight selection.
Hayes’ Public House
- Uroica Scottish Heather Ale – Top Flight selection.
HeadFlyer celebrates Bavarian Lumberjack Daze on Saturday with three special releases:
- ♥ ya Bräu – A collaboration with Giesenbräu, this is a smooth Helles lager to tap on Saturday. 4.8% ABV.
- Bavarian Lumberjack – The namesake festival beer, this is a Märzen lager with sweet malt character and a copper pour. 5.6% ABV.
- Wetcha – Made with Julius hops from Mighty Axe hop farm, this is a wet hop pale ale that pours at 5.6% ABV.
- Wheat Ale – An unfiltered American wheat ale with added coriander and orange peel to give a peppery, sweet finish. 5.2% ABV, 6 IBU.
- Doe Eyes – Released as a part of the Insight versus series.
- Sour Doe Eyes – A sour variation of Doe Eyes, released in the Insight versus series.
Island City Brewing Co.
- Coffee Pale Ale – “Just a touch of coffee on this light American Pale Ale base makes for a super drinkable brew with fantastic aroma,” says Island City.
- German Pilsner – A 5% ABV, 28 IBU Pilsner with floral and grain aromas, a clean white head, and a delivering lingering bitter and cracker notes, the brewery says.
- Red IPA 0101 – “Malt and slight pine aroma. Nitrogen softens the sharpness, still bitter with a bit more malt than a typical IPA,” the brewery says. 6% ABV, 40 IBU, and available on both CO2 and nitro.
- Schwarzbier 0101 – A German-style black lager with subtle malt and roasted flavors along with a clean finish with notes of grain, the brewery says. 5% ABV, 20 IBU.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Axes Up – A 5% ABV American pale ale.
- CPB – A 5.25% ABV chocolate, peanut butter porter available on draft at the brewery and in Crowlers.
- S&M – A limited release IPA that features Simcoe and Mosaic hops and pours at 7.5% ABV, 60 IBU.
- Vanilla Dreams – An 8% ABV vanilla imperial porter.
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Oktoberfest – To celebrate its seventh anniversary, Northbound will tap a new beer every Tuesday and Friday this month: eight new beers in total. This traditional-style lager with a slightly higher-than-traditional ABV of 6.2% is the featured beer at tonight’s Oktoberfest party where the brewpub promises a free beer to “anyone who wears lederhosen or dirndls.”
- Solitary Confinement – An anniversary bourbon barrel-aged Incarceration double British strong ale that tapped on Tuesday
OMNI Brewing Co.
- The Next Episode – Newly released, this is a double New England IPA made with Blema, Mosaic, and Cashmere hops for “chronic berry goodness,” the brewery announced. 8% ABV, 45 IBU.
Pantown Brewing Company
- Oktoberfest – A refreshing and easy drinking fest beer, the brewery says.
Steel Toe Brewing
- Douglas – Available at the brewery, this is a 7.5% ABV, 50-some IBU Cascadian dark ale with hints of chocolate and bread crust complemented by juicy fruit, citrus, and pine notes.
Town Hall Brewing
- Undeclared IPA – A hoppy golden IPA with sweet fruit and big citrus flavors along with a clean finish, the brewery says. Expect notes of tangerine, mango, citrus peel, lemon, bready malt, and a touch of pine. 6.5% ABV.
Waconia Brewing Company
- NEbulous Hazy IPA
- Paradise DIPA
Beers just announced
- Bourbon Barrel Aged Darker Territory – Darker Territory double dark chocolate and coconut stout, aged in in Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, and Woodford Reserve whiskey barrels. Part of a September 28 bottle release at the brewery.
- Bourbon Barrel Aged Sarlock – Sarlock Russian Imperial Stout, aged in in Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, and Woodford Reserve whiskey barrels. Part of a September 28 bottle release at the brewery.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Oktoberfest – Bad Weather will tap its Oktoberfest lager on October 11, guest brewed by former Twins all-star Glen Perkins, who will be at the brewery for its release.
- Ominous – Brewed this week and returning to the brewery soon.
- Wet Hop – Brewed last week with Minnesota-grown hops.
Burning Brothers Brewing
- Irish Red Ale – This will be coming to cans in the near future, the brewery announced in a recent newsletter.
Castle Danger Brewery
- Mosaic Fresh Hop Ale – Brewed this week and releasing soon.
La Doña Cervecería
- Ocēlōtl – To debut in bottles next month, this is a mezcal barrel-aged barley wine.
Fergus Falls Brewing Co.
A new brewery will open soon in Fergus Falls. The future lineup is likely to include:
- Mexican-style Lager
- New England IPA
- Smoked Pumpkin Porter
Firestone Walker Brewing Company
- Coconut Merlin – A new milk stout made with real toasted coconuts. Hitting liquor stores and tap lines next week as a limited seasonal release.
- Hazy Shades – A new hazy New England-style IPA that debuts at the brewery’s Mullet Party on Saturday, September 28. “Hazy Shades is a NEIPA featuring six rounds of Amarillo, Citra, and El Dorado hops. A mouthfeel more pillowy than your bell bottoms and a citrusy hop profile more flavorful than your disco suit,” the brewery says. 6.9% ABV, 57 IBU.
Single Speed Brewing
- 007 – The Waterloo, IA brewery has made a collaboration with Dangerous Man. A double dry-hopped New England-style IPA. Part of the Nimble Series and the brewery’s first 16-ounce can.
Steel Toe Brewing
- Wet Hop – The St. Louis Park brewers were in Yakima, Washington selecting hops for a future brew this week, but the hops for their Wet Hop came from a source closer to home: MN’s own Mighty Axe Hops.
Surly Brewing Company
- Funeral Bar – A new Funeral Bar series pastry stout is coming on September 30, Surly announced ominously on social media.
- Wet – Surly brewed the annual wet hopped beer recently.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Neapolitan Barrel-Aged Black Ale – Set to debut next Friday, this is a barrel-aged black ale, aged in whiskey barrels and finished with vanilla, chocolate, and strawberries.
Town Hall Brewery
- Grand Cru – The base beer for the barrel series Manhattan Reserve, this 9.8% ABV beer is on tap next Monday, September 23, at the brewery in a limited appearance.
Unmapped Brewing Co.
- Gladden Farm IPA – An annual wet hop beer from Unmapped taps on September 30 at a release party with farm owner and former Twin Dan Gladden. Gladden will be at the brewery signing autographs at a family friendly release party.
Urban Forage Winery and Cider House
- Herbed Cider – A new cider will debut soon made with apple mint, bee balm, and anise hyssop. The cidery describes it as “Lightly sweet and wonderfully herbal…some of the best scents of late summer very literally in a bottle.”
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Démodé – “Démodé was brewed with 2-row, malted wheat, and flaked oats and hopped with Cascade and Centennial hops, resulting in a silky smooth IPA with resinous and mandarin orange notes and a nose of orange peel and pine,” the brewery says.
- Fall – A black IPA with kveik yeast and a 3-hop blend for bright citrus notes along with hints of pine and a chocolate base, the brewery says.
- Festival of Oak 2019 – Featured at the namesake event on October 5, this beer pours a vibrant pink and was conditioned on more than two pounds of dragonfruit and passionfruit per gallon. “The passionfruit adds tropical notes and a layer of acidity while the dragonfruit provides the beer with its gorgeous pink hue, along with notes of melon and strawberry to complement the golden sour base,” Wild Mind says.
- Hemispheric Fissure – A pale ale with melon and orange juice aromatics complemented by flavors of papaya and orange peel with a dry finish, the brewery says.
- La Reine – The queen returns. “This sour began with a blend of one- and two-year-old golden sour that was conditioned on raspberry, blackberry, boysenberry, and rhubarb for six weeks,” WIld Mind says, it’s “packed with ripe and rich berry notes that balance out the funk and acidity of the base blend.” Available on October 5 at Festival of Oak.
- Lil’ Wakatu – A saison blend of foeder-aged and open-fermented beer that was then dry-hopped with Wakatu hops.
- Pash Bash – An acidic, pink blended sour is made with dragonfruit and passionfruit for tropical notes, melon, and strawberry
- Time Gun – Coming soon, this is an IPA with notable fruit flavors and a lightly floral bouquet, including tropical, stone fruit, and citrus flavors.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.