With over 185 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
Heavy-bodied and holiday spiced beers define the new seasonal beers on tap this week, with hearty and flavorful options covering a wide range of styles. Some draw influence from Mexican horchata or hot cocoa, while Minneapolis Cider Co. has a burgundy-like cider on tap.
It’s also the season of giving, which is exemplified by events at Giesenbräu and with a new offering at Broken Clock. Eastlake is celebrating five years in the Midtown Global Market and, in Northeast Minneapolis, Fair State has a showcase of its Journeys + Sidequests series available this Saturday. And that’s just the start. Keep reading for a thorough listing of what’s new in Minnesota releases this week.
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Bauhaus Bleatboxer Bock
“A smooth, strong, dark lager that emphasizes the malty-rich and somewhat toasty qualities of fine European malts without a sweet finish,” the brewery says. 6.6% ABV, 22 IBU. Also sold in the Freezebox Mixed Pack.
Badger Hill Barrel Aged Old Ale
“We made this Ole Ale and stuck it in a bourbon barrel to rest for a full year. Tasting notes of dark fruit and toffy like characteristic. This Old Ale gives you a rich full mouth feel. We used Pale Chocolate malt to give it a bit more sweetness,” the brewery says. 10.2% ABV, 37 IBU.
Eastlake Barrel Reserve
It’s anniversary week at Eastlake, celebrating five years in business all week long. Along with special celebrations, special beers include this is a second-use, wine barrel-aged mixed culture sour red ale that releases on Friday.
Minneapolis Cider Aronia Red
Made with North Dakota farmed Aronia berries, this is a winter-themed cider with heavy tannins and body from the berries. It is dry, 6.8% ABV, and is described as “red wine-like” in style.
Wabasha Bourbon Barrel Aged Cave Stout
Aged in 45th Parallel bourbon barrels, “This stout has a rich chocolate flavor with subtle hints of coffee and the aromas,” the brewery says. On tap and in limited bottles.
New beers available this week December 9–December 15)
22 Northmen Brewing Co.
- Freya’s VSCO Disco – This hybrid beer from 22 Northmen (who shares ownership with Carlos Creek Winery) uses Bavarian barley and crushed Frontenac grapes. After two months of lagering, the beer has “a tart fruitiness with an unanticipated soft body,” the brewery says. 8.6% ABV.
- Imperial Coffee Red – An imperial red ale with a malty base and medium-light roasted coffee. 8.5% ABV.
- Warchata – A malt-forward porter inspired by horchata: infused with lactose and cinnamon for added winter flavor. 5.5% ABV.
- DDH Upside-Down Cake IPA – Available at the taproom.
Able Seedhouse + Brewery
- So Dreamy – A dessert stout that’s “super rich and decadent,” says Able head brewer Bobby Blasey. “It really evokes the flavors of a raspberry truffle. No need for dessert, this smooth sipper will definitely satisfy your cravings.” 8.2% ABV and 6 IBU
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Barrel Aged Old Ale – Top Flight selection.
- Finnish Sahti – Tapped last Friday at the brewery. In limited supply.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- Bleatboxer Bock – Top Flight selection.
- Plumsoul Tart Ale – The newest (and last) release in the Over the Charts series, this is a tart, fruited ale that is lightly sour, Bauhaus says. Featuring the pluot (a plum and apricot hybrid), the mild sour flavors complement a bready malt base. 6.4% ABV, 5 IBU, and on tap at the brewery now. Available at liquor stores beginning next week.
Birch’s On The Lake
- Mexican Lager – Made with Golden Promise barley and flaked corn, this lager tapped on December 3 at the brewery and is served with a lime. 5.9% ABV.
- Raspberry Smoothie – Made with raspberries, this is a kettle sour that pours at 5.9% ABV with lactose added for a creamy finish.
- Projecting – A triple IPA collaboration with The Brewing Projekt, this 10% ABV IPA features Citra, Sabro, Sabro Cryo, a unique German Amarillo, and Kveik yeast.
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
- Code 3/Backdraft – A new beer for a cause, this is a sweet stout infused with Morita peppers and a touch of lactose to mellow the pepper. 6.5% ABV, 32 IBU. Available this Saturday, a portion of proceeds benefits Firefighters for Healing, a non-profit to support both firefighters and children suffering burn trauma.
Clutch Brewing Company
- Welcome to the Rauch! – A smoked rauchbier with German malts and hops, plus rosemary. “Huge floral notes and coniferous spice backed by beechwood smoke make this beer a perfect holiday pint,” the brewery says.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Matchbox Coffee Porter – “A robust, roasty, rich ale bursting with huge aromatics of dark chocolate and massive coffee notes,” Dangerous Man says.
- Pancake Porter – Available in limited bottles as of Thursday, this is a porter aged in maple syrup and bourbon barrels. “Hints of maple, roast, light caramel, silky vanilla, and dark chocolate swirl in your mouth, and it finishes with whispers of a caramelized bourbon warmth,” the brewery says. 10.4% ABV, 50 IBU.
- Wee Sexy Danish – A collaboration with Rochester’s Little Thistle, this unique beer features Dutch pilsner malt, Czech Saaz hops, a Danish lager strain, and was dry-hopped with Loral cryo pellets. “This is light, crisp, and a wee bit hoppy,” the brewery says.
- Lizard People – A soft and juicy double IPA at 8.5% ABV.
- Neon Phenom – An 8.4% ABV double IPA with notes of passionfruit, citrus, berry, and dank tones, the brewery says.
Drekker’s Bourbon Barrel-Aged The Nightman Cometh Russian imperial stout is available at 12pm today at the brewery, along with three limited variants:
- Coconut & Vanilla Beans
- Oreos & Vanilla Beans
- Peanut Butter & Marshmallows
Dual Citizen Brewing Company
- Ryeteous Vibes – Newly tapped, this 8% ABV, 60 IBU red rye offers hoppy and dark fruit flavors with a silky body, Dual Citizen says.
Eastlake Craft Brewery
It’s anniversary week at Eastlake, celebrating five years in business all week long. Along with special celebrations, special beers include:
- Barrel Reserve – Top Flight selection.
- Single Port Barrel Aged Tsathoggua – A limited variant of Tsathoggua, this 13% ABV imperial stout spent two years in a single port barrel that was used for bourbon, then port wine, then Tsathoggua.
- Southpaw – An easy-drinking 5.5% ABV amber-style that pours copper in color will be on tap for the winter.
- Tsathoggua – An annual tradition at Eastlake, this is the fifth iteration of the imperial stout aged on Spanish brandy and American oak. Crowlers are available now. 11% ABV.
Fair State Brewing Coop
- FSB: Double Macaroon – The third 2019 variant of FSB imperial stout, this is a pastry-style stout with coconut, chocolate, and vanilla. Already in liquor stores, it tapped at the brewery this week. 13% ABV.
- Partying Past Burning Bridges – A collaboration with 3 Floyds Brewing, this is a “dip-hopped IPA,” made using a Japanese brewing technique which involved hopping the wort after the heat exchange but before introducing the yeast.
On Saturday, Fair State hosts a Journeys + Sidequests tap takeover showcasing their bottle club. From noon–6pm, taps include:
- Neapolitan Vegan Stout – A strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla stout.
- Bee’s Knees – A gin barrel-fermented sour wheat with gin botanicals, lemon, and honey.
- Smoked Peach and Apricot Sour – A sour wheat with smoked peaches and apricot puree.
- SuperKviek – A gin barrel-fermented sour made with kveik yeast, elderberry syrup, and tangerine puree.
Fergus Brewing Co.
- The Postman – A breakfast oatmeal stout that returned on tap last week.
- Culture Shirt – A 5% ABV fruited sour ale, available in Crowlers as of last week.
- Hop Symphony – A 7% ABV IPA, available in Crowlers as of last week.
- Shatter Society – An 8% ABV double IPA, available in Crowlers as of last week.
Giesenbräu Bier Co.
- Sleigh Flyer – This is a spiced ale with cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice that taps at Santa Speedo Dash this Saturday. Made in collaboration with HeadFlyer.
- Speedo Claus – Also making its debut at Saturday’s Speedo Dash, this is a “hot cocoa stout brewed with cocoa, vanilla, and lactose. Proceed from both Saturday releases with benefit the Alzheimer’s Association.
Half Brothers Brewing Company
- Brothers Gotta Hug – A double black IPA brewed in collaboration with Drekker.
- Peppermint Mocha – A sweet stout with cold press coffee, aged in Buffalo Trace barrels, and infused with peppermints. Served on nitro at the brewery.
Hop & Barrel Brewing Co.
- Beest Rye IPA – At 6.66% ABV, this is a spicy rye IPA with pine and citrus flavors, the brewery says. 66 IBU.
- Batch 129E Experimental Dark Lager – A limited batch, this is a dark lager with smooth chocolate notes, the brewery says. 6.9% ABV, 32 IBU.
- Home Brewer’s Series No. 1 DDHIPA – A new 7.1% ABV, 80 IBU double dry-hopped hazy IPA with bright citrus, tropical, and sticky notes. “Very juicy,” the brewery says, with hoppy citrus notes and a lingering, bitter finish.
- Snowdrift – The Chippewa Falls brewery bottled this vanilla porter seasonal.
Locale Brewing Company
- Bygone Brown Ale – “It’s a classic malty Northern English brown ale brewed with 100% British malt,” the brewery says. “Toffee & hazelnut notes abound.”
LTD Brewing Co.
- Set Hazers To Stunn – This double dry-hopped New England-style IPA features Citra, Galaxy, and Sabro hops with grapefruit, pineapple, and stone fruit notes.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Keep the Change Ya Filthy Animal – A Red Cow “Cowlaboration” double IPA. 8% and available at select retailers.
- Make IPA Piney Again – A newly released 7% ABV IPA that is available in cans, on draft, and in crowlers.
- Two Nuts – A 6% brown ale that will is on draft at taproom, and available in Crowlers.
Minneapolis Cider Co.
- Aronia Red – Top Flight selection.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Barrel Aged 32 Teeth: Belgian White Chocolate – One of two imperial chocolate stouts variants, this was aged in Four Roses bourbon barrels with white chocolate and vanilla beans. On sale Saturday.
- Barrel Aged 32 Teeth: Ghana Cacao Nibs – One of two imperial chocolate stouts variants, this was aged in Four Roses bourbon barrels with cacao nibs and vanilla beans. On sale Saturday.
- Floor Model – “A double dry-hopped oat milk double IPA that comes fully loaded with our own house-made oat milk and hopped with all the hops on the showroom floor, including Citra, Strata, Nelson Sauvin, and Sabro hops then double dry-hopped with cryo Citra and cryo Sabro,” Modist explains. A collaboration with BlackStack, it’s on tap this Saturday at the brewery and in cans next week.
Outstate Brewing Company
The latest brewery to open in Fergus Falls, current beers include:
- Amber Ale
- Bucket Pale Ale
- Mango Double IPA
- Northern Light Lager
- Sanctuary Tripel
- Star Island IPA
Pantown Brewing Company
- Wild Thing – A New England-style hazy IPA, tapped this week.
- Isaac the Fax Man – A dank wheat IPA with floral notes and a light body. 7.4% ABV, 72 IBU.
- Milli Vanilla Porter – A sweet porter conditioned on vanilla beans. 8.5% ABV, 25 IBU.
Stacked Deck Brewing
- Barrel Aged Forging the Beast – “This imperial stout rested in Heaven Hill barrels for nine months before being released unto the world. The nose is heavy on the booze from resting the barrels that leads to an ultra smooth mouth feel with hints of caramel, oak, and roasted malts,” th brewery says.
- Powdered Toast Man – A cinnamon, vanilla, and maple syrup “French toast stout.”
- Snake Pilssen – Stacked Deck’s American Pilsner is available in cans. Made with Pilsen malt, flaked corn and subtle hops.
Steel Toe Brewing
- Apple Brandy Barrel Aged Lunker – A variant of Lunker barleywine, this 10.2% ABV offering complement’s Lunker’s toffee and caramel notes with rich, boozy apple, fig, and plum flavors.
Surly Brewing Company
- 13 – A limited edition, maple barrel-aged imperial stout with a ticketed release party tonight, the 13th of December.
Talking Waters Brewing Co.
- Raspberry + Orange Zest Tongue Twister – A 5% “session sour” conditioned on raspberries and orange juice, then treated with orange zest.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- German Dark Lager – A dunkel lager that tapped at the brewery this Tuesday.
- Opaca Silva – Brewed in collaboration with the winner of the Minnesota Home Brewers’ Association’s Iron Brewer Competition, this is a 5.1% ABV dark IPA aged on hickory wood with malt, stone fruit, annd berry notes, plus honey and coconut tones from the wood.
Town Hall Brewery
- Wee Heavy – At 9.3% ABV, this winter seasonal is defined by deep caramel, toast, chocolate, and a wine-like fruitiness. It offers additional red berry and brown sugar notes on the nose and pours a deep ruby in color.
Uncommon Loon Brewery
- Chocolate Cherry Stout – Back on tap at the brewery last week.
- Lake BLVD IPA – Back on tap at the brewery last week.
- Peanut Gallery Porter – Back on tap at the brewery last week.
Unmapped Brewing Co.
- Off the Beeten Path – A veggie sour with earthy beet notes and tart flavors. 5.8% ABV, 9 IBU.
Urban Forage Winery and Cider House
- Apple Cider Vinegar – A small-batch cider “made all from local apples and with minimal intervention,” the cidery says. “A bit funky and incredibly sour, it’s wonderful in all sorts of recipes.”
Urban Growler Brewing Company
- Cranberry Kettle Sour – A seasonal, tart kettle sour.
Wabasha Brewing Company
- Bourbon Barrel Aged Cave Stout – Top Flight selection.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Mint Chocolate Chip Porter
Wicked Wort Brewing Co.
- Bam-A-Lam – This is a blackberry imperial stout, released in bottles last weekend at the brewery.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Winter’s Edge – A pecan and maple syrup imperial stout. “[It’s] strong, sticky, and packed with spicy maple character that is followed by a roasted, nutty finish,” the brewery says. Available at 2pm today on draft and in Crowlers. 11.8% ABV.
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Coconut Cluster – A robust porter with toasted coconut and hazelnut. 6.2% ABV.
Beers just announced
Birch’s On The Lake
- Vanilla Milk Stout – The milk stout aged on bourbon vanilla beans returns to the brewpub on December 24.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Dry January – On tap this Boxing Day, this is a 3.5% ABV, 104 calorie (per 12 ounces) wee IPA with fruit, citrus hop notes. In liquor stores the following week.
- Mister Falcon – A collaboration with Barrel Theory, this hazy double dry-hopped IPA returns on December 19 at the brewery and is back at stores on December 22. Fair State will begin pre-sales on Monday, December 16.
- TBD Stout – Forager teamed up with Milwaukee’s Eagle Park for a big stout with barrel-aged honey, tentatively due for 2022, according to Forager’s social media.
Founders Brewing Co.
The 2020 brand calendar is out, including the following releases:
- 4 Giants IPA – Available in April, this will be a spring seasonal IPA that Founders describes as a mashup of four imperial IPA recipes.
- Devil Dancer – The first Mothership Series release of 2020.
- Green Zebra – Back in May as part of the Limited Series.
- Más Agave – This Barrel-Aged Series beer is back in May.
- Mosaic Promise – A seasonal to be released in April.
- Pilsner – A seasonal release next August.
- Underground Mountain Brown – Back next September in the Barrel-Aged Series.
Pantown Brewing Company
- Double Drop Forge Milk Stout – The featured beer release at Pantown’s upcoming first-anniversary celebration on December 20.
Pryes Brewing Co.
- 2020 Lost Moon Bottle Release – Available February 22.
- Citra Pale Ale – Available on January 25.
- Italian Pilsner – A crisp and floral dry-hopped lager with earthy notes, the brewery says. 5.2% ABV and coming December 28.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Tres Leches Barrel-Aged Black Ale – This rich, dessert balck ale will be on tap and in crowlers on Friday December 20.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.