With over 175 breweries now pouring their beer in Minnesota, there’s always something new to try. To keep you up to date, we present The Mash-Up—our weekly rundown of new beers and seasonal releases in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries. Visit growlermag.com every Friday for the latest or sign up for a weekly email.
Late summer meets city festivals, parades, and beer to pair with them. Tropical, berry, and fruity flavors are popular, but there are a wide variety of beers to choose from. Steel Toe’s Beltline Brown makes a comeback, Wild Mind has a pickle-inspired beer, and there are multiple cocktail-inspired new releases in the list below.
What are you drinking?
Each week, The Growler’s editorial team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers hitting taps and store shelves that we’re most excited to try.
Spiral Third Street Saison
A farmhouse ale with light rosemary, citrus, spice, clove, and “classic farmhouse funk” flavors.
Drekker Everybody Love
A collaboration with The Brewing Projekt, this is a “Rainbow Sherbet Sour” with lemon, lime, cherry, orange, vanilla, lactose, marshmallows, and rainbow sherbet. 7% ABV.
Steel Toe Beltline Brown Ale
Steel Toe brings back a classic American brown ale with toasted nuts, light chocolate, and malty caramel flavors complemented with floral hops and a clean, bitter finish. 5.6% ABV, 30 IBU.
HeadFlyer Southern Hospitality
A hazy IPA made with the Southern Passion hop variety, which provides tropical fruit flavors along with a smooth, soft body.
56 Brewing Wizard Mode DIPA DDH
Available at the brewery today and at Summer Beer Dabbler on Saturday, this collaboration with Eastlake is “a juicy, double dry-hopped double IPA brewed with a 2x hop bonus of Lemondrop and Idaho 7 hops.” 8.5% ABV, 35 IBU. Eastlake will release its version of the beer on August 20.
New beers available this week (August 12–August 18)
22 Norsemen Brewing Co.
- Grisette – A light-bodied, approachable beer that’s described as dry, refreshing, and slightly tart.
- Münich Helles – A malt-forward, light-bodied beer with cracker and bread characteristics.
- Citrus Hazy IPA – “A hazy dry-hopped New England IPA. Dry-hopped with dehydrated spanish orange flesh. Aromas of citrus/orange and flavors of tropical fruit, orange pulp and subtle vanilla,” 56 says. 5.8% ABV, 25 IBU. Available at the taproom.
- Motueka Pale Ale – This hazy pale ale is available at the taproom and was made with 100% Motueka hops from New Zealand. 5.9% ABV, 20 IBU.
- Wizard Mode DIPA DDH – Top Flight selection.
- Blumenweizen – This is a dry-hopped hefeweizen with elderflower, brewed in collaboration with Sociable Cider Werks. “Light and crisp with a slightly sweet floral note,” 612 says. 5.2% ABV, 15 IBU.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Haitian Haze IPA – On tap today, this is a 7.0% ABV, 82 IBU hazy IPA with Azacca hops added for tropical fruit notes, complemented with a subtle bitterness and smooth finish, Alloy says.
Back Channel Brewing
- Bus Driver – “The Bus Driver is moderately sweet with pulp-like bitterness and a smooth mouthfeel. Notes of tangerine, passionfruit, apricot, gooseberry and peach and are just a few that will jump and catch your senses,” the brewery says of this IPA. 6.9% ABV, 58 IBU.
- Click Thrice – A cream ale available on nitro at the brewery. 5.25% ABV, 19 IBU.
- Gunslinger Imperial – “Brewed with massive amounts of caramel and Munich malts this beer has layers of toast, caramel and dark fruit complexity,” the brewery says. 10.0% ABV, 87 IBU.
- Horny Sidekick – A 4.5% ABV, 11 IBU light American lager with high carbonation, light corn sweetness, and a crisp, dry finish, the brewery says.
- Munich Helles Lager – This 5.25% ABV, 18 IBU lager offers light malty sweetness, low hop bitterness, and spicy hop notes for balance, the brewery says.
- Piano Flow – A 6.0% ABV, 42 IBU pale ale with berry, melon, cantaloupe and orange flavors with a silky mouthfeel and a touch of bitterness.
- The Empress – The latest in The Empress fruited wheat series is a raspberry, blueberry, and plum ale that is light-bodied with both sweet and tart tones. 5.25% ABV, 19 IBU.
- The Lake Maker – A pale, bubbly, light-bodied American lager with a crisp hop bitterness, the brewery says. 5.25% ABV, 14 IBU.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Ruckus – Tapped last Saturday, this is a blonde ale with lime zest, brewed with the St. Paul Jazz Pigs rugby squad.
Beaver Island Brewing Company
- Oktoberfest – A Märzen lager.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Oh Ship! – The tall ships are docked in Duluth and, to celebrate, Bent Paddle has released a new golden ale infused with lemon.
Birch’s on the Lake
- Mexican Chocolate Milk Stout – A milk stout made with cinnamon, chocolate, ancho, chipotle, habanero and ghost peppers. 6.9% ABV. Birch’s Lowertown will release its own version next week, but Birch’s on the Lake’s batch uses more chipotle peppers, the original brewpub location notes.
- Pocket Tees – A newly tapped IPA made with Sabro hops in collaborations with Lua Brewing (Des Moines, IA). 7.0% ABV.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Cherries & Berries Sour – Made with strawberries and cherries, then dry-hopped, this tart ale is on tap now.
- House IPA – “This beauty was hopped with local Mighty Axe Centennial, Amarillo, and Strata. Crisp, bright, and citrusy, this new batch of House IPA,” Dangerous Man says. Tapped last week.
- Double Trouble Double IPA – A double India oat pale ale featuring Simcoe and El Dorado hops, to be released August 17. According to the brewery, “added pineapple, passion fruit and coconut gives it big, bright tropical fruit flavors while the rolled oats, oat flour and oat milk give it a nice big juicy mouthfeel.” 8.1% ABV, 60 IBU.
- Brain Squeeze: Blueberry & Pineapple – Made with the two fruits in its name, plus lactose, vanilla, and sea salt. 5.2% ABV.
- Brain Squeeze: Raspberry Passionfruit! – A sour smoothie ale. 5.2% ABV.
- Everybody Love – Top Flight selection.
- Sticky Digits – A limited batch of Girl Scout cookie-inspired s’more porter was tapped at the Fargo brewery last week. 6.5% ABV.
Earth Rider Brewery
- Dragon Boat Ale – “The official beer of the Lake Superior Dragon Boat Festival returns from the depths,” the brewery proclaims. On tap at 5pm August 16. 5.3% ABV, 16 IBU.
Founders Brewing Co.
- Underground Mountain Brown ‒ The latest Barrel-Aged Series release is an imperial brown ale with Sumatra coffee. “A team of malts compliment the bold Sumatran coffee perfectly, while time spent immersed in oak creates layers of depth and complexity. A celebration of the barrel, the bean, and everything in between,” the brewery says. 11.9% ABV, 30 IBU, and available in 12-ounce and 750-milliliter bottles in August.
- Tropical By Nature – A milkshake IPA made with peach, mango, coconut, and vanilla.
Garphish Brewing Company
- Bethel Dayz – “All the awesomeness of a hazy IPA with a subtle sweetnesses from the pineapple and a touch of lactose,” the brewery says. 6.5% ABV.
- Southern Hospitality – Top Flight selection.
- Nershi Nectar – This hazy hoppy wheat ale was brewed specially for Nershfest, a free outdoor music festival on Saturday, August 17 inspired by “three dudes’ love of Bill Nershi and craft beer,” according to the Facebook event. Nershi Nectar will be available at the fest all day long, but until 3pm cans are just $3, in commemoration of the fest’s third celebration.
Lake Superior Brewing Co.
- DeepS’mores – Available this Saturday in the Saturday Sipper series.
Left Hand Brewing Company
- White Russian Nitro – A new nitro seasonal, inspired by The Dude’s cocktail of choice.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Ark Royal – A 5.3% ABV ESB.
- Fruitsmack Mango – Fruited with India’s Alphonso mango variety. 7% ABV.
- Fun Pants – A 5% ABV session blonde ale.
- Oktoberfest – A 5.7% ABV Marzen lager.
- Peach Tripel – An 8.75% ABV Belgian-Style tripel infused with white peach.
Pantown Brewing Company
- Coffee Brown Ale – “We are giving our Elsinore Brown Ale a wake up call by hitting it with fresh roast coffee from Muggsy’s Beans,” the brewery says of this new variation of a brewery staple.
- Third Street Saison – Top Flight selection.
Steel Toe Brewing
- Beltline Brown Ale – Top Flight selection.
Summit Brewing Company
- Citrus IPA – This limited Ratskeller exclusive tapped last Friday.
Surly Brewing Company
- Oktoberfest – Available on draft and in 12-packs, Surly Oktoberfest “is rich, sweet, and malty up front, bookended by a clean, dry finish with an ever-so-slight touch of hops,” the brewery says. 6.0% ABV and yellow-orange in color.
- American Wheat w/ Apricot 0101 – A wheat ale with slight breadiness and apricot notes, plus a honey and herbal presence. 4.8% ABV, 18 IBU.
- Bee’s Knees – A 5.8% ABV cocktail-inspired seltzer with lemon, honey, and gin botanicals.
Thesis Beer Project
A new brewery recently opened in Rochester after several delays:
- Accidental Gold Golden Ale
- Hand Equity NE IPA
- Plot Armor Red Ale
- Rookie Card Session IPA
- Tuba Nanas Hefeweizen
- Tugboats Coffee Porter,
- Hand Equity NEIPA
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Cucumber Basil Wheatstone Bridge
- Peach Dream State Creamsicle Ale
- Schotty Pumpkin – Back in stores now.
- Spy Bot Juicy IPA – Available today, this is a juicy IPA with Vic Secret, Idaho 7, and Azacca hops. “This soft-bodied, ultra-tropical IPA features aromas of ripe mango and pine, followed by big flavors of pineapple, resin, and peach,” the brewery says. On tap now at the brewery and in cans next week.
Toppling Goliath Brewing Co.
- DDH Pseudo Sue
- Mornin’ Delight – The popular beer is back on August 17 in limited supply.
Town Hall Brewery
- Wally’s Wit – A 5.3% ABV witbier with refreshing citrus character, plus notes of orange peel and coriander.
Uncommon Loon Brewing Company
- Peanut Butter Porter – Expected to be available this weekend, the brewery says.
Urban Forage Winery and Cider House
- Blueberry Melomel ‒ Made with blueberries and wildflower honey.
Venn Brewing Company
- Batch #210 Vic Secret Pale Lager – A pale lager with a crisp, clean feel and notes of tangerine, Venn says. 5.2% ABV, 35 IBU.
- Batch #214 Raspberry Wheat – An American wheat ale with lots of raspberry. 5.4% ABV, 15 IBU.
- Batch #216 Julius Hazy Pale Ale – Made with the Minnesota-grown Julius hops from Mighty Axe. 5.0% ABV, 40 IBU.
Wild Mind Artisan Ales
- Skateboard Guitar – “Skateboard Guitar is a blend of foeder beer and fresh IPA refermented with pineapple and hopped with Amarillo, Calypso and Idaho 7. Bursting with fruit flavor ranging from bright citrus to lush pineapple on a tart, refreshing background,” the brewery says.
- Solen’ya – “This Brettanomyces-fermented table beer was designed to taste like a pickle,” Wild Mind says It was made with Pilsner malt, flaked oats, plus fresh cucumber puree, lime zest, and pink Himalayan salt added after primary fermentation, then blended with foeder beer to add acidity.
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Cinnamon Crush – “Our first in a series of culinary-inspired beers, Cinnamon Crunch is brewed to smell and taste like the cereal it gets its name from,” the brewery says of this 4.9% ABV brown ale.
Beers just announced
Avery Brewing Company
- Stampede – Avery announced that they will brew a Colorado Gold Lager created with University of Colorado Athletics, to be sold in Colorado, but also in select nationwide locations as well. 4.5% ABV and available in late August.
- Mexican Chocolate Milk Stout – A milk stout made at separate at both Birch locations with cinnamon, chocolate, ancho, chipotle, habanero and ghost peppers. The Lowertown batch has more cinnamon come through, the brewery states. On tap Wednesday, August 21.
Dual Citizen Brewing Company
- TBD – St. Paul’s Dual Citizen teamed up with Blocktoberfest headliners Tapes ‘N Tapes for a special beer to release at the September 14 party.
Eastlake Craft Brewery
- Wizard Mode DIPA DDH – A collaboration with 56 Brewing, 56 debuts their batch this weekend with Eastlake’s set to tap at their own brewery on August 20.
- 4th Street Wheat – Currently in the fermenting tanks at the Willmar brewery.
Goose Island Beer Company
Eleven new Bourbon County Stouts will release in 2019:
- Bourbon County Stout – Aged in a mix of Heaven Hill, Buffalo Trace, and Wild Turkey barrels,” Goose Island says this “yields a rich, complex mouthfeel. Flavors of cocoa, fudge, vanilla, caramel, almond, plus leather and tobacco, permeate this beer and deepen with each sip.”
- 2-Year Reserve Bourbon County Stout – Aged for 2 years in 11-year-old 25th Anniversary Knob Creek barrels for “oak-forward intensity accented with subtle hazelnut and chocolate notes,” the brewery says.
- Bourbon County Café de Olla Stout – Made in partnership with Intelligensia Coffee, this variant includes coffee beans, cold brew coffee, cassia bark, orange peel, and panela sugar.
- Bourbon County Double Barrel Stout – “This stout was first aged 12 months in 11-year-old Elijah Craig barrels from our friends at Heaven Hill distilleries. We then emptied the beer from those barrels and filled fresh 12-year-old Elijah Craig barrels,” Goose Island explains.
- Bourbon County Mon Chéri Stout – Made with cherries, oats, and brown sugar, this imperial stout is reminiscent of cherry cobbler, the brewery says.
- Bourbon County Stout Vertical Collection – A side-by-side package with 2017, 2018, and 2019 vintages.
- Bourbon County Wheatwine – “This year aged 100% in Larceny wheated bourbon casks from our partners at Heaven Hill. The result is a softer flavor profile, full of caramel, vanilla, butterscotch, and toffee flavors, all while carrying the nuances of Larceny bourbon barrel,” the brewery says.
- Proprietor’s Bourbon County Stout – Described as an homage to variants of years past, this Bourbon County is made with toasted pecans, coconut, cocoa, and vanilla for Tiramisu-like qualities.
- Reserve Rye Bourbon County Stout – Aged in single source bourbon barrels that add fruit and spice flavors.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Chai Velvet – A new silky smooth amber ale will debut at Hullaballoo 2019 on September 13–14 at the brewery.
- Yamma Jamma – The sweet potato fall seasonal returns for Hullaballoo 2019 on September 13–14.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Axes Up – A pale ale to tap in September.
- Black Lager – A new 5% lager coming within the next month.
- Mighty Wet – September should bring this wet hop IPA back to the brewery.
- Sultana – A hazy pale ale in the Sexy Hops series of single hop single malt beers. 5.8% ABV and coming in September, Lupulin says.
- Sophistry 04 – A new 7.5% ABV IPA in the Sophistry series will tap in October.
Modist Brewing Company
- TBD – A new IPA made entirely from wheat was recently brewed with Marz Brewing (Chicago) and will tap at the Minneapolis brewery sometime soon.
Spilled Grain Brewhouse
- Oktoberfest – The marzen lager favorite returns on September 28, with a namesake Oktoberfest party to boot.
Town Hall Brewery
- 3 Hour Tour – A rich English-style milk stout brewed with lactose and finished with coconut. 6% ABV.
- Eye Of The Storm – A light-bodied honey ale featuring Minnesota-harvested honey. At 9.1% ABV, the beer very complex with sweet honey notes.
- Oktober Wiesn – A blonde fest lager inspired by Austrian and Munich light lagers.
Urban Forage Winery and Cider House
- Pear Cider – The 2019 batch of this pear-based cider is in the works now.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Oktoberfest – Returning on August 27, in time for the brewery’s Oktoberfest party on September 7.
Curious about recent releases? Peruse our Mash-Up archives. Did we miss a beer release or announcement? Email us at [email protected] to let us know about new beers from this week and beyond. Or let us know what new beer you’re enjoying by using #TheMashUp on Twitter and Instagram.